ADVERTISEMENT

I'd be concerned about Nathan Fox

xxjfgxx

Jan 7, 2012
If Oregon comes hard for Fox, everybody better hold their breath. He probably never expected the offer, and while "his heart is with the Wildcats 100%", his brain just might start saying Ducks! In a few days he's going to watch Oregon win the National Championship. National champs vs. last place team in Big Ten and no bowl game??? The good news is if he stays with Cats, and the best team in the country wants him, the kid can obviously play!

That's what I've been thinking too. Oregon is not a bad school. Except, as others have expressed, it doesn't say much for a program that just comes straight at you when you've already committed. Isn't there some sort of protocol whereby you're supposed to contact the program a recruit is committed to before approaching them?

The other argument which can be made is that (as someone said on another thread), it appears likely that Oregon has finished recruiting their A List and are now blanketing their B List with leftover offers. This gibes with Nathan's statement that he has not heard from them in a long time.

That would be a turn-off to me and make me question how long I would be on the bench before I began to get serious playing time.

Originally posted by xxjfgxx:

If Oregon comes hard for Fox, everybody better hold their breath. He probably never expected the offer, and while "his heart is with the Wildcats 100%", his brain just might start saying Ducks! In a few days he's going to watch Oregon win the National Championship. National champs vs. last place team in Big Ten and no bowl game??? The good news is if he stays with Cats, and the best team in the country wants him, the kid can obviously play!
You really can't help yourself but to try to rile people up, can you?

I'm not in the least bit worried. If he knows what's in his best interest, if he wants a change to succeed and make real money (not BS middle class money) whether he makes the pros or not, he'd be a fool not to come here. It would be fun to track the career paths of the kids who waffle but come here vs. the kids who waffle and take some other last second offer. I think we all know the answer. The other guys become Willy Loman if they're lucky (if they don't become gym teachers, that is). Our guys become successful (some wildly so) and become Willy Loman's boss.

If I were Nathan Fox, I'd be concerned

about guys like you...

"The other guys become Willy Loman if they're lucky (if they don't become gym teachers, that is). Our guys become successful (some wildly so) and become Willy Loman's boss."

Your PhD. from Northwestern's Department of Condescension, which is one of the finest departments at the University, does qualify you to make such statements with the credence of other such distinguished alumni as, for example, Charlton Heston, who has the honor of being the most pompous, condescending graduate of the University, ever.

This post was edited on 1/8 10:09 PM by stpaulcat

I would like you to name some wildly successful NU football players

Originally posted by Mr. Stupor:
I'm not in the least bit worried. If he knows what's in his best interest, if he wants a change to succeed and make real money (not BS middle class money) whether he makes the pros or not, he'd be a fool not to come here. It would be fun to track the career paths of the kids who waffle but come here vs. the kids who waffle and take some other last second offer. I think we all know the answer. The other guys become Willy Loman if they're lucky (if they don't become gym teachers, that is). Our guys become successful (some wildly so) and become Willy Loman's boss.
I would like you to become NU's first unemployed graduate, as there apparently are none.

Welcome back Northwesternman a/k/a other prior personas

Pushing the envelope again? This post was edited on 1/9 1:58 AM by Alaskawildkat

If you don't know any, it's not my place to educate you. I know 5 well (in investment banking, software, real estate and law) and that's just what I can think of just off the top of my head on the train this morning. There's no real point in naming them because you'll then call them exceptions and ask for more. I see no benefit to that game.

As to unemployment, that was a wonderful little distraction of a non-sequitur, but it fails to make any real point. Instead, it was the same old cheap shot tripe we've come to expect from this person.

It amazes me how some folks on this board can be so proud of their school, and tout how we do things right and how our guys are real student-atletes, yet then turn around and simultaneously somehow believe that NU football are (and always were) second-class, inferior students who had no business going to their elitist, high-brow school and therefore must be doomed to the same kind of failure that is inevitable for football players, generally.

Who's taking the REAL elitist position here? How does one justify those two positions? Oh, that's right. Some folks need to believe they're smarter than everybody else (even guys who graduated from the same school they did), so they manufacture a "difference" between them and the "regular" NU students so they can feel better about themselves and maintain the delusional sense of intellectual superiority they've spent an entire lifetime perfecting.

Here's the reality: these guys were trained right. They graduated and the walk out of NU with all the tools they need to be successful, including hugely important interpersonal skills, teamwork skills, and a "fight" than regular students don't. Plus, unlike the regular NU alums, they don't walk out of NU with the same degree of intellectual smugness. And some folks have the nerve to question whether or why they're successful? It just makes me laugh and how out of touch with reality some people are.

I think you overestimate the impact NU has, ie its delta, on its graduates. Elite academic schools like NU are largely filtering mechanisms for our brightest HS grads. It's not to say you don't get a great education and expand your horizons at NU, but students who gain admission have it together to begin with.

Originally posted by Deeringfish:
I would like you to name some wildly successful NU football players
Define 'wildly' successful?

Assuming you mean purely financially successful, I have observed (anecdotally) a disproportionate amount of financial success among former student-athletes (of my generation) at NU than the general student body (of my generation), but I have no empirical data to back that up. In addition to the great NU eduction (and what it does for a resume), NU's student-athletes, on average, depart college with a different definition of what "busy" or "working hard" really means, and it serves them well in life. I also think there can be a bit more of an entrepreneurial, competitive and risk-taking spirit that comes from competing at the highest level in sports. (Obviously a competitive and entrepreneurial spirit can come from other college experiences than athletics, so a I don't mean to diminish regular students.)

Whether it's earned or not, employers like seeing "Northwestern University" and "Football Scholarship" on a resume whether that means landing an opportunity to interview or perhaps being a tie-breaking consideration among finalists.

This post was edited on 1/9 1:43 PM by MRCat95

Originally posted by Mr. Stupor:

It amazes me how some folks on this board can be so proud of their school
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Please don't assume anything. I could never be truly proud of a school that graduated you.

I would be concerned about Nathan Fox... If I was a big ten running back. The fox is going to rip some of their heads off next year

I think you take my question totally wrong. I didn't go to NU, how would I know any players? I think it would be an impressive recruiting tool if we could list the former players who are now in government or ceo's of fortune 500 companies or famous movie stars or successful pro athletes. Mike Adamle and Chris Hinton are all I can think of off the top of my head.

I think you take my question totally wrong. I didn't go to NU, how would I know any players? I think it would be an impressive recruiting tool if we could list the former players who are now in government or ceo's of fortune 500 companies or famous movie stars or successful pro athletes. Mike Adamle and Chris Hinton are all I can think of off the top of my head.
That specifically would be good but we get lots of press for a program at our level and school of our size due to the number of journalism and theater alums.

How many television commercials feature the big names of the NCAA and then sneak us in there. Yes, it is a little girl dressed in a ballerina tutu and an NU t-shirt or it is two slightly weird guys watching something on television but we are in there.

Just now, I was watching ESPN and the other panelist was bugging Doug Collins about why he was wearing a green tie when Chris's team was about to play MSU. They told him he should be wearing purple.

We do pretty well for getting free plugs on television and movies compared to Vandy, Rice, and other similar schools.

1/10/14. Shakes? THE Shakes?

Hey, the Facebook page for NU Cheerleading came up on my Facebook page yesterday--I thought that was strange, although not totally implausible. There is no archive--I tried to find a photo of you back in the old days.

if he wants a change to succeed and make real money (not BS middle class money)

Woah there. Some of us are proud of our BS middle class money. I work in the public sector, where we actually do something positive for the world we live in. That still counts as success even if there's less money involved-- unless you're some greedy asshole who likes to trash decent working people just as an exercise in being a horrible person.

Originally posted by stpaulcat:
1/10/14. Shakes? THE Shakes?

Hey, the Facebook page for NU Cheerleading came up on my Facebook page yesterday--I thought that was strange, although not totally implausible. There is no archive--I tried to find a photo of you back in the old days.
Addressed on the rant board.

"That still counts as success even if there's less money involved-- unless you're some greedy asshole who likes to trash decent working people just as an exercise in being a horrible person."

Stupor doesn't have to do an exercise to be a horrible person.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

How about Patrick Ryan, CEO of AON. That's probably the best example.

I didn't real Patrick Ryan realize Patrick Ryan played football. Wow! That's a wildly successful football alum.
My Dad lettered in Football, though not as a player, and he was a successful MD.

I checked to see if Pat Ryan lettered and he is not listed as having lettered. However, requirements for lettering were tougher back then than they are today. It's my understanding that he was a member of the team in the late 1950's.

Umm... Perhaps you should "whoa, whoa, whoa" youreself, pardna.

Perhaps you missed the "if he wants" part of what I said....

It's about the choice. You had the choice. I have great admiration for people who make that choice. It is, however, a choice many kids who get chewed up and spit out from football factories don't have.

So you might want to cast your indignation elsewhere. I guess I could have said "BS middle class money in some crappy menial labor job" if I'd known you'd get pissy and if it would have made you feel better.

HungryJack: Your comments say more about you than they ever could about me. MrCat: I'm surprised at you. I was sticking up for you guys because too many people around NU still harbor the false belief that athletes are somehow second class, inferior students, incapable of success at the same level of the "real" NU students - a belief I know to be wildly false...I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

This post was edited on 1/11 6:35 PM by Mr. Stupor

I appreciated that, Stupor. My comment was about your broader posting style, which is obviously an over the top shtick (that I happen to find far more humorous than offensive).
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT