ADVERTISEMENT

If you’d told me…

Yes, FT conversions was the difference. It was GREAT seeing the guys hitting *clutch* ones all night — including Brooks, who’s struggled a little in that department.
THe fact that we got to the line over 30 times was huge. And then hitting them..

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Admittedly, I had my doubts about NU achieving long-term success in basketball two years ago. While I always recognized CCC as a good coach, I felt that the lack of a strong historical program, academic challenges, actual coursework expectations, and the overall basketball atmosphere posed significant challenges. However, within this time frame, we have witnessed the establishment of a new legacy under CCC's leadership. The basketball atmosphere has transformed into one that rivals any in the nation. Though obstacles still remain for NU, CCC and his team deserve credit for surpassing them.

Initially, I feared that NU would part ways with CCC and that he would find success elsewhere. From the beginning, CCC has proven himself as a good coach, continuously improving along the way. I am not convinced that his in-game coaching abilities or X's and O's strategies have drastically changed. Rather, his greatest progression has been in learning how build a strong team culture and effectively managing egos within the program. The 2017 team is a perfect example of lost culture and mismanaging egos. The progression is evident in his strategic selection of assistant coaches. In the past, there was a good recruiter and questionable team culture influence brought to the coaching staff that helped secure a solid recruit for NU.

If you had told me we’d be having back to back tournament trips two years ago, I would have thought you were insane.
You never had to have that excuse to call us insane

Underrated on this play: Martinelli basically clearing the path from at least two and maybe three defenders.
That was impressive and a thing of beauty. He kept a clear path so that MN could do his thing

It’s culture and belief and leadership. Literally nobody on the court yesterday for NU was wanted by any other B1G programs. They’re coaches’ sons and hoops junkies and baby brothers just hoping to get on the court.

They’ve won shootouts. They’ve won on the o-glass. They’ve won with turnovers and ball security. And now they’ve won by getting to the line.

They’ve won with their 7-footer seeing nothing open, and then executing the slowest and most beautiful dribble drive for a baseline dunk.

It’s huge for Smith and Mullins and Clayton to simply be ready for their moment. That’s from playing talented guys (and coaches) in practice, and from trusting that the work will pay off.

Like that other thread, CCC is a good coach. The culture here is strong.
He has found his niche

Reactions: NUCat320
Exactly...all this talk about how Maryland shot so poorly...well what if NU hadn't shot way worse than usual? And didn't Maryland shoot over 50% in the second half? Yes, they missed a zillion threes, but NU shooting 15% from long range is horrible as well.
Well for that game we did not have our top 2 3 point shooters. We did not take as many threes as usual and Martinelli's near the end of the game were ill advised

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT