ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA tells Pritzker to pound sand

Illinois High School Association defies Governor Pritzker’s by allowing basketball this season. Up to each district to decide. Requires masks and will be more time outs.
Good stuff! My stepson wants to play high school ball next month. I was in downtown st Charles and some restaurants were rebelling and letting people eat inside. Fight for what you believe in!

Illinois High School Association defies Governor Pritzker’s by allowing basketball this season. Up to each district to decide. Requires masks and will be more time outs.
This breaks my heart. We are now over 90,000 cases per day and hospitalizations are rocketing up everywhere and the experts are telling us to expect the peak in January.

IN JANUARY!!!!

That means we are going to keep rising for the next 2+ months!!

This breaks my heart. We are now over 90,000 cases per day and hospitalizations are rocketing up everywhere and the experts are telling us to expect the peak in January.

IN JANUARY!!!!

That means we are going to keep rising for the next 2+ months!!
All we can do is try and slow it down, it’s not going away anytime soon. I will refrain from crossing the border into the Rant Board.

• Love
Reactions: nugnrfan82
What is the intended result of extra timeouts?

It seems to me that they’ll simply extend indoor, unmasked time in the possible presence of an airborne, highly-contagious virus.

All we can do is try and slow it down, it’s not going away anytime soon. I will refrain from crossing the border into the Rant Board.
Not sure how having a bunch of kids breathing heavy on each other in an indoor space with coaches, staff and families in the stands helps slow it down.

This isn't Rant Board material. There should be nothing political about following scientists and health care expert advice on protecting as many people as possible from an unpredictable virus.

If Americans actually listened to the science early on and weren't too busy caught up in the idolatry of a con man, maybe we would have had a hard shut down and gotten this under control. The longer we take half-measures the more long-term damage we're going to suffer.
Brilliant. :rolleyes: How did that hard shutdown work out in Europe, which liberals pointed to as doing it the right way? Or is the "con man" responsible for the uptick there too? Don't mind me - - your shtick will play well to many simpletons infecting the Rant Board.

Probably shouldn't do that if what you believe in flies in the face of science and endangers other people. This is like telling flat earthers to "fight for what you believe in." Not all beliefs are factually sound.

It sucks for high school athletes, but we all have to take an L (or two (or three)) to get through these times. We don't know the long-term effects on COVID, and there has been some reporting that it does some pretty nasty things to your body even if the carrier is asymptomatic. We should be discouraging anyone from playing any sports unless they have robust plans and sufficient resources to protect against positive tests occurring and it spreading like wildfire through the athletes.

If Americans actually listened to the science early on and weren't too busy caught up in the idolatry of a con man, maybe we would have had a hard shut down and gotten this under control. The longer we take half-measures the more long-term damage we're going to suffer.
If Americans listened to the Economic advisors,we may be better off! Isolate the high risk people. Seems like everyone is rebelling anyways

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Not sure how having a bunch of kids breathing heavy on each other in an indoor space with coaches, staff and families in the stands helps slow it down.

This isn't Rant Board material. There should be nothing political about following scientists and health care expert advice on protecting as many people as possible from an unpredictable virus.
Welcome to America in 2020. People don‘t want to take the steps to fight the virus, but they still want to do whatever they care about. Meanwhile cases are skyrocketing and 1,000 people die a day. Seriously by the end of the year more Americans may be dead from Covid than died in 4 years of WWII, but hey I’d hate for kids to miss a year of HS b-ball...

Brilliant. :rolleyes: How did that hard shutdown work out in Europe, which liberals pointed to as doing it the right way? Or is the "con man" responsible for the uptick there too? Don't mind me - - your shtick will play well to many simpletons infecting the Rant Board.

You mean like Germany where they have 6,000 cases per million people? For comparison the US is close to 30,000.

Welcome to America in 2020. People don‘t want to take the steps to fight the virus, but they still want to do whatever they care about. Meanwhile cases are skyrocketing and 1,000 people die a day. Seriously by the end of the year more Americans may be dead from Covid than died in 4 years of WWII, but hey I’d hate for kids to miss a year of HS b-ball...
Looks like the kids would hate to miss their HS b-ball too.

Better stay in Hermit mode Willy, because many Restaurants just told Pritzker the same thing.
And just how many are open? Two? Three? Five? Also how many H.S. BB games have been played? heck how many have held a practice? Pritzker is right, favoring the health of kids vs. a game.

And just how many are open? Two? Three? Five? Also how many H.S. BB games have been played? heck how many have held a practice? Pritzker is right, favoring the health of kids vs. a game.
Good, stay in your basement then, if you so desire.

No fans are attending, no one is being forced to play. I guess Pritzker knows better than the parents or the kids themselves.

This virus isn’t going anywhere until it is eradicated by a vaccine. Period.

I can’t remember the last time I have seen anyone here in IL in a public setting NOT wearing a mask. Our restaurants causing the uptick? Sure you can’t eat or drink with a mask on, but my experience is go within 10 feet of anyone you get the stink eye. How about airplanes? Don’t think so? Recent info suggests they are some of the safest environments. You can catch it anywhere.

point is, to control the virus, you would need a hard quarantine for at least 3 weeks. Shut everything down hard. Then it will slow down until it eventually builds right back up at some point (short of a vaccine) Wearing masks, wash you hands of course helps, but it isn’t vanishing by just doing that. So either do the hard shut down or continue to try and live a semi normal existence by taking the necessary precautions and not being irresponsible, but also living.

We have a governor that knows what is best for everyone and people bow are basically ignoring his shut down orders. I know this isn’t the most popular stance on the NU boards, but the ISHA can do what they want.

so we can quote stats and point/counter points all day, but restrictions/laws put in place that conflict with the desires of the majority of people have always failed in this country. Getting ready to be blasted!

No fans are attending, no one is being forced to play. I guess Pritzker knows better than the parents or the kids themselves.

I can’t remember the last time I have seen anyone here in IL in a public setting NOT wearing a mask. Our restaurants causing the uptick? Sure you can’t eat or drink with a mask on, but my experience is go within 10 feet of anyone you get the stink eye. How about airplanes? Don’t think so? Recent info suggests they are some of the safest environments. You can catch it anywhere.

point is, to control the virus, you would need a hard quarantine for at least 3 weeks. Shut everything down hard. Then it will slow down until it eventually builds right back up at some point (short of a vaccine) Wearing masks, wash you hands of course helps, but it isn’t vanishing by just doing that. So either do the hard shut down or continue to try and live a semi normal existence by taking the necessary precautions and not being irresponsible, but also living.

We have a governor that knows what is best for everyone and people bow are basically ignoring his shut down orders. I know this isn’t the most popular stance on the NU boards, but the ISHA can do what they want.

so we can quote stats and point/counter points all day, but restrictions/laws put in place that conflict with the desires of the majority of people have always failed in this country. Getting ready to be blasted!
Seems like he does. The I in ISHA stands for Illinois, which Pritzker happens to be its Governor.

Connecticut made the wise decision this week to postpone all winter high school sports.

Reactions: willycat

it is almost like people want to decide what is best for themselves.

it is almost like people want to decide what is best for themselves.

With freedom comes responsibility. In an organized society, individual liberty has to have limits when your actions could negatively impact others. I think it would be best for me to not have to stop at a red light when I am driving but society says that I have to. Same concept.

• Love
Reactions: TheC and willycat
With freedom comes responsibility. In an organized society, individual liberty has to have limits when your actions could negatively impact others. I think it would be best for me to not have to stop at a red light when I am driving but society says that I have to. Same concept.

Not EXACTLY the same. Someone like Willy should be staying home more than the average person, not expecting the average person to be as cautious as he is. We have GOT to start realizing that, especially as time goes on here. The vaccine isn’t going to be some instant silver bullet - if and when it comes - and we need to start shifting (however) slowly toward vulnerable/worried people changing their lifestyles drastically and isolating themselves. Not everyone else altering their lives. Sounds bad, but it’s just a logistical reality at this point, and it becomes more true each week/month.

Not EXACTLY the same. Someone like Willy should be staying home more than the average person, not expecting the average person to be as cautious as he is. We have GOT to start realizing that, especially as time goes on here. The vaccine isn’t going to be some instant silver bullet - if and when it comes - and we need to start shifting (however) slowly toward vulnerable/worried people changing their lifestyles drastically and isolating themselves. Not everyone else altering their lives. Sounds bad, but it’s just a logistical reality at this point, and it becomes more true each week/month.

Agreed

These things are not mutually exclusive. We have to prevent the virus from spreading exponentially like it is now if we want to mitigate this national health crisis and restore our economic activity to quasi normal levels. The only way to do that is for EVERYBODY to adopt prudent safety measures. The most vulnerable need to sequester themselves as much as possible but everybody else needs to do their part. Wear masks, socially distance, limit the amount of time you spend around others and most importantly subject yourself to a nationally coordinated testing and tracing program so that infected people can be identified and isolated. This is the only way to mitigate this until there is a vaccine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC and Gladeskat
Well, we'll see what happens because we're heading for a world of hurt right now. Many states show numbers of new cases resembling exponential growth right now and positivity rates in the upper great plains and Rockies are as high as 30% - 53% (SD). Iowa has 46% positivity now.

Yes, the vulnerable need to isolate themselves as much as possible, but the younger folks had better realize that the economy isn't gonna go anywhere until numbers of the COVID virus are under control. Wearing masks and social distancing will help to lower the spread rate.

This is an insidious virus in that it kills because it's highly contagious and the demographics of impact on age group categories are favorable for its spread. Those wanting to achieve herd immunity should take a look at Sweden's current COVID situation.

Reactions: evanston09
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT