ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois internal investigation into Brad Underwood's behavior

It seems like they didn’t really investigate the way they should have. Not interviewing the players who transferred?

The bullshit about Whitman saying he would not have signed off on Mark Smith's waiver if he wasn't comfortable with it's content. Sure, tough guy, I'm sure you would have denied Mark Smith and then let him go public with his story.

Most disturbing was the segment about Whitman saying that Underwood coaches by making his players emotionally uncomfortable because they then deliver better results. That's some pretty f'd up thinking coming from an athletic director who is being interviewed for a harassment/abuse/racism investigation.

With all that said, I sort of like Underwood. He's old school, a real hard ass and he's made the team better.

However, a leopard can't change its spots. There'll be trouble....just a matter of how long. Underwood says as much....he still loses it.

The bullshit about Whitman saying he would not have signed off on Mark Smith's waiver if he wasn't comfortable with it's content. Sure, tough guy, I'm sure you would have denied Mark Smith and then let him go public with his story.

Most disturbing was the segment about Whitman saying that Underwood coaches by making his players emotionally uncomfortable because they then deliver better results. That's some pretty f'd up thinking coming from an athletic director who is being interviewed for a harassment/abuse/racism investigation.

With all that said, I sort of like Underwood. He's old school, a real hard ass and he's made the team better.

However, a leopard can't change its spots. There'll be trouble....just a matter of how long. Underwood says as much....he still loses it.
Agree and I have been saying from day one that Underwood would get Illinois on probation or worse.

I think this episode is little more than a kid and parents with an axe to grind. Sounds like it was Mark smith- kid went to Illinois thinking he'd be the "man", then got outplayed by a fellow frosh, and then exited like a spoiled crybaby. The horror of having to run on a treadmill as an athlete...

I think this episode is little more than a kid and parents with an axe to grind. Sounds like it was Mark smith- kid went to Illinois thinking he'd be the "man", then got outplayed by a fellow frosh, and then exited like a spoiled crybaby. The horror of having to run on a treadmill as an athlete...
Have you watched and listened to Underwood 's act on the sideline? Calling a young man a "crybaby" is totally uncalled for!

Air Force Academy fans felt the same way five years ago when a freshman guard left after being bullied nonstop. On Monday he played guard for Texas Tech in the national championship after leading his team to a victory over MSU.

His game is total crybaby.

Reactions: willycat

Uh, according to the report. there were complaints from more than one individual. The individual who later complained rather vehemently to the faculty reps was NOT the same as the individual who filed the original complaint. Plus, Mark Smith's waiver was granted without any fight by Illinois, because as Medill indicated in his post, Mark would have had some story to tell...

0829-spor-tim-beckman32729.jpg

This image was my favorite part of the article.

It’s good that we’re (starting to) believe that coaches should be decent to players.

That said, there’s no investigation if Underwood had been a winning coach thus far.

Uh, according to the report. there were complaints from more than one individual. The individual who later complained rather vehemently to the faculty reps was NOT the same as the individual who filed the original complaint. Plus, Mark Smith's waiver was granted without any fight by Illinois, because as Medill indicated in his post, Mark would have had some story to tell...

You’re taking a lot of liberties to fill in gaps between facts for the narrative you’re spinning here, but since this is college athletics I suppose it’s not unreasonable to expect fan fiction on an opposing team’s message board. I’m not too terribly alarmed or surprised by what was said about Underwood; he’s an unabashed red faced lunatic. I’m also not terribly surprised to see you feigning outrage, or exaggerating the story to fit what you want it to say. Agree to disagree, I suppose!

However, there is one thing we can agree on. It is quite embarrassing when an aggrieved former player and his family have a story to tell!

“Players’ widespread use of PEDs; images from videotapes showing NU staff members continuing the preseason practice even as Wheeler lay on the ground dying; evidence of an alleged coverup involving a university doctor who burned Wheeler’s medical records after the player’s death.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2005-08-16-0508160187-story.html

“Johnnie, you f*cking suck!”

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/53x5pq/did-northwestern-basketball-run-off-johnnie-vassar

You’re taking a lot of liberties to fill in gaps between facts for the narrative you’re spinning here, but since this is college athletics I suppose it’s not unreasonable to expect fan fiction on an opposing team’s message board. I’m not too terribly alarmed or surprised by what was said about Underwood; he’s an unabashed red faced lunatic. I’m also not terribly surprised to see you feigning outrage, or exaggerating the story to fit what you want it to say. Agree to disagree, I suppose!

However, there is one thing we can agree on. It is quite embarrassing when an aggrieved former player and his family have a story to tell!

“Players’ widespread use of PEDs; images from videotapes showing NU staff members continuing the preseason practice even as Wheeler lay on the ground dying; evidence of an alleged coverup involving a university doctor who burned Wheeler’s medical records after the player’s death.”

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/53x5pq/did-northwestern-basketball-run-off-johnnie-vassar
Have no idea what yoi are talking about im terms of outrage, just reporting the facts of the article. If you hsve a problem with that, take it up with the reporter for your hometown newspaper. No need to do that, though, since many Illini fans have already made beyond despicable comments about a former student athlete NOT even knowing if he was one of the spurces for the investigation! Stay classy, Illini fans...

As for yoor trip down memory lane, talking sboit an isolated incident frlm 20 yrars ago under a now-deceased coavh and a report from a fotmer stident who had an axe to grind with Chris Collins strengrhens any argument you are making by precisely zero.

using a tragic young mans death to try and make your point is sad. It was not known immediately how serious Wheeler's problem was and a trainer was at his side almost immediately. Also because of some previous heavy rain the phone at the field wasn't working and the fire department ambulance was at the southern edge of Evanston and took awhile to arrive. The doctor was fired. Johnnie requested a transfer from NU. Anything else from years ago? Now we can all get back to Underwood's treatment of his players the past TWO years.

Underwood seems like a really abrasive guy. In the post game interview after we beat them at Welsh Ryan this year he said something like "they wouldn't have had much of a turnout if it weren't for our fans showing up". Struck me as unnecessary and totally unprofessional.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Underwood seems like a really abrasive guy. In the post game interview after we beat them at Welsh Ryan this year he said something like "they wouldn't have had much of a turnout if it weren't for our fans showing up". Struck me as unnecessary and totally unprofessional.

you are right, Pasadena, he is abrasive. But I live vicariously through this hard ass ripping this new generation of players in front of the televised world.

I can't count the number of projects we've managed where we've been befuddled with how to effectively manage millennials....Underwood is my inner-id.

Have you watched and listened to Underwood 's act on the sideline? Calling a young man a "crybaby" is totally uncalled for!

His act is pretty much the same as a high percentage of coaches in college.

Quite a few of his current players have come out in his defense.

One or more of the kids from the groce era who transferred out had axes to grind for obvious reasons.

Punitive use of a treadmill..... pardon me while I laugh

Last edited:
His act is pretty much the same as a high percentage of coaches in college.

Quite a few of his current players have come out in his defense.

One or more of the kids from the groce era who transferred out had axes to grind for obvious reasons.

Punitive use of a treadmill..... pardon me while I laugh
Uh, Smith , who bolted for Missouri and was mysteriously granted immediate eligibilty, was a BU recruit. I think we now know why he was granted immediate eligibilty. Even the AD admits BU's behavior changed markedly from year 1 to year 2. Do you think it was by choice, or do you think the AD said, "tone it down, or you will be an ex-coach"?

There are 734 players in the transfer portal. Zero from Illinois. That should tell you something.

Mark Smith and his family are bitter over his bad year at Illinois. They are mad that the players had to ride the stationary bike as a punishment. They were jealous that Frazier became the freshman star and not Mark. His mom and dad stopped coming to games because Mark didn't get to play the point.

You can rip on Underwood because he coaches a rival school, but his players love him. He is definitely old school, but he is changing the culture of the program that sunk to a low under Groce.

I think Illinois is going to be pretty good next season. Ayo, Frazier, Giorgi are three of the top six freshman scorers in UI history. A year older and adding Kofi. Feliz proved he could play. Jones and Griffin a year older. Only lost Jordan. Adding a grad transfer at the four.

If Underwood is so mean, why are all the players staying and tweeting out support. Because they know what a p***y Smith is.

Last edited:
There are 734 players in the transfer portal. Zero from Illinois. That should tell you something.

Mark Smith and his family are bitter over his bad year at Illinois. They are mad that the players had to ride the stationary bike as a punishment. They were jealous that Frazier became the freshman star and not Mark. His mom and dad stopped coming to games because Mark didn't get to play the point.

You can rip on Underwood because he coaches a rival school, but his players love him. He is definitely old school, but he is changing the culture of the program that sunk to a low under Groce.

I think Illinois is going to be pretty good next season. Ayo, Frazier, Giorgi are three of the top six freshman scorers in UI history. A year older and adding Kofi. Feliz proved he could play. Jones and Griffin a year older. Only lost Jordan. Adding a grad transfer at the four.

If Underwood is so mean, why are all the players staying and tweeting out support. Because they know what a p***y Smith is.
Or they are afraid to say something because of Underwood's type of discipline or worse. Did you call Mr. Smith that derogatory name when he committed to Illinois. Doubt it and you shouldn't use that now!

That's not being very Combes-like. You're above that.

I saw Collins and Underwood interact with one another outside a game setting and it looked very friendly, very jovial (don't know if I'm helping CCC here). Got the sense that with peers and his contemporaries he's a pretty fun guy.

On Smith, the young man switched from baseball to basketball as his solitary focus and college ambition his senior year. He tore it up his senior year, but was still a ways away from where he needed to be to lead a Big Ten offense. That's not the case with Ayo. Smith would have gotten better with the right approach as he's shown when healthy at Mizzou.

Final word, my son who is just a couple years older than Smith bumps into hard ass teachers and coaches. His instinct is to completely write them off. We explain that is not a solution or a sustainable path. But we have to coach him hard how to communicate with a tougher personality. I think with this generation the instinct is to just walk away.

Final word, my son who is just a couple years older than Smith bumps into hard ass teachers and coaches. His instinct is to completely write them off. We explain that is not a solution or a sustainable path. But we have to coach him hard how to communicate with a tougher personality. I think with this generation the instinct is to just walk away.
Sounds like a good way to force credibility onto boomer assholes who aren’t worth paying attention to.

But Smith apparently was not the source for the original complaint about BU. And how many players transferred out during BU's first two seasons exactly? That's why zero transferred out this year-- everyone had left already!

But Smith apparently was not the source for the original complaint about BU. And how many players transferred out during BU's first two seasons exactly? That's why zero transferred out this year-- everyone had left already!
Has Ayo announced he's testing the draft yet?

Has Ayo announced he's testing the draft yet?

They just had their team dinner and apparently he declined interviews. To me that says he's declaring or on the fence (think he would have announced already if he had decided to stay). He has unto 4/21 at midnight to make his decision.

Even if he declares, which makes sense, he has until late May to make his decision. He will discern that he is a second round pick this year, and projected as a top ten pick next according to numerous draft boards. If he’s getting sound advice, he’ll return to school. Unfortunately, parents and agents may have other ideas; time will tell.

Even if he declares, which makes sense, he has until late May to make his decision. He will discern that he is a second round pick this year, and projected as a top ten pick next according to numerous draft boards. If he’s getting sound advice, he’ll return to school. Unfortunately, parents and agents may have other ideas; time will tell.
Kid is from a solid family, and is really mature for his age. I suspect they’ll make an intelligent decision based on the best information they can get. Speculation is that the only reason he hasn’t declared yet is because you can only declare twice. So if you think there’s a chance you might need to do three years in school before NBA teams feel like you’re worth investing a first round pick in, then you might not want to use one of your two “declarations” after the first season.

That being said, I think that’s an extremely unlikely scenario. I’d be stunned if he doesn’t declare so that he can go to the combine and get feedback to help make his decision.

This doesn’t make sense. If teams see him as a top 10 pick next year, then someone late in the first round will grab him this year. They can develop him better under their full time watch and let him sit on the pine for a year while he learns. It would be a bargain to grab him late in the first.

Kid is from a solid family, and is really mature for his age. I suspect they’ll make an intelligent decision based on the best information they can get. Speculation is that the only reason he hasn’t declared yet is because you can only declare twice. So if you think there’s a chance you might need to do three years in school before NBA teams feel like you’re worth investing a first round pick in, then you might not want to use one of your two “declarations” after the first season.

That being said, I think that’s an extremely unlikely scenario. I’d be stunned if he doesn’t declare so that he can go to the combine and get feedback to help make his decision.

this explains why Nojel Eastern hasn't declared this year

This doesn’t make sense. If teams see him as a top 10 pick next year, then someone late in the first round will grab him this year. They can develop him better under their full time watch and let him sit on the pine for a year while he learns. It would be a bargain to grab him late in the first.

If the Bulls took him with their second round pick he'd find himself starting for the Bulls next October

Correct, teams do this all the time. Question isn’t whether it’s a good idea for the team, tho. It’s really a question of whether a certain player thinks that is best for them or not. I think Ayo should go pro if he’s getting a late first round guarantee. Comes with good guaranteed money. But a second round pick has little or no guaranteed money. In that instance, it’s likely best to wait a year and try again.

Correct, teams do this all the time. Question isn’t whether it’s a good idea for the team, tho. It’s really a question of whether a certain player thinks that is best for them or not. I think Ayo should go pro if he’s getting a late first round guarantee. Comes with good guaranteed money. But a second round pick has little or no guaranteed money. In that instance, it’s likely best to wait a year and try again.
Agree, but I think he makes it to a late first round now,

:D going to be a very fun year down in Champaign. Can't say the same thing about all Illinois teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT