ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois internal investigation into Brad Underwood's behavior

The Big should be way weaker next year. Could make your move, but I still think Ayo should have declared as he was projected to go first round. Don’t see him moving to a lottery pick, so grab the paper while you can.

Yeah, I am shocked he didn’t at least test the waters. That being said, he’s the #8 pick in a 2020 mock draft I saw. So who knows maybe he’s betting on himself to be a lottery pick. As long as he avoids a debilitating injury, it’s very unlikely his draft stock is lower at this time next year.

Edit: https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

Yeah, I am shocked he didn’t at least test the waters. That being said, he’s the #8 pick in a 2020 mock draft I saw. So who knows maybe he’s betting on himself to be a lottery pick. As long as he avoids a debilitating injury, it’s very unlikely his draft stock is lower at this time next year.

Edit: https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

There's the rub. If he gets hurt, then he played another year for the Illini for zip, zero. It just doesn't make any sense at all that he didn't at least test the waters; there was no risk to doing so as he could come back to the Illini if he didn't like where he was projected. And this is a guy who publicly stated that he wanted to be a one-and-done player. I think there is something going on here that we do not know about.....

I hope he has insurance.

I respect that he's going to college a second year and sticking with his mates.

I just hope the school made goddam sure he has insurance.

There's the rub. If he gets hurt, then he played another year for the Illini for zip, zero. It just doesn't make any sense at all that he didn't at least test the waters; there was no risk to doing so as he could come back to the Illini if he didn't like where he was projected. And this is a guy who publicly stated that he wanted to be a one-and-done player. I think there is something going on here that we do not know about.....

Wanting to be one and done, and being one and done are two different things. Every year most of the Top 50 of each recruiting class declare themselves hopeful one and dones. Few of them get to do so. I suspect his thin frame and streaky shot just made it clear that he’s not likely to get a first round deal with guaranteed cash. Both of those can be improved dramatically with a year of maturation and development.

Wanting to be one and done, and being one and done are two different things. Every year most of the Top 50 of each recruiting class declare themselves hopeful one and dones. Few of them get to do so. I suspect his thin frame and streaky shot just made it clear that he’s not likely to get a first round deal with guaranteed cash. Both of those can be improved dramatically with a year of maturation and development.
Yeah: but he didn't even try: at zero risk to him. Makes no sense; it's not like he was going to go undrafted. At any rate, BU better have a a season that lives up to the hype now, or he's in a lot of trouble, imo.

Yeah: but he didn't even try: at zero risk to him. Makes no sense; it's not like he was going to go undrafted. At any rate, BU better have a a season that lives up to the hype now, or he's in a lot of trouble, imo.
Guess this breaks your recent hot streak.

-1 for Mike.

There is SOME risk. You only get to do the declare/get feedback/withdraw routine once. So if you think there’s a chance you might still need more than one additional year of development, then it might not be the worst idea to save that “free” evaluation until after your second season.

Among rational fans, I’m not sure that there are expectations beyond getting into the tourney field. And I do think they should get in, barring any major injuries.

Either way, I appreciate your concern for both Dosunmu and Underwood.

This, and every bit of his Northwestern basketball analysis from October through February.
Actually: a decent amount of my basketball analysis was on point. As was all of my football analysis. But hey: since I'm wrong so much: care to make a screenname wager on something? It' been a few months since I soul-owned someone.. And if there is somekne who actually predicted that Ayo would not even test the waters: I would love to see those predictive posts....

-1 for Mike.
Yup: couldn't predict a totally illogical move by a student-athlete that no one else could predict: either. -1 for me. You do see the irony of you being the poster to point this out tho: correct?

Actually: a decent amount of my basketball analysis was on point. As was all of my football analysis. But hey: since I'm wrong so much: care to make a screenname wager on something? It' been a few months since I soul-owned someone.. And if there is somekne who actually predicted that Ayo would not even test the waters: I would love to see those predictive posts....

I commented on your basketball analysis, which was basically cover-my-eyes-everything’s-fine-lalalalalalalala even after the squad laid egg after egg after egg. (Which is *fine* by the way. We’re not accountable for our predictions or for our unbridled optimism or our unbridled pessimism. Fandom is fun!)

For instance:
Through games of Tuesday February 12th:

My tourney projections (based on current NET ranking, remaining SOS, and current trend)
NCAA-- 8 (Michigan, Michigan St. Wisky, Purdue, Iowa, Maryland, OSU, Minny)
NIT- 3 (Indiana, Nebby, Us)

NU was 3-9 in the conference when you *still* predicted a postseason berth. They had just blown a ~15-point lead to Iowa in ~5 minutes. (“based on...current trend”!!) They were not a postseason team. Your analysis was very, very, very wrong. To your credit, you finally threw in the towel after Rutgers.

No, I won’t make a screen name bet.

Last edited:
I commented on your basketball analysis, which was basically cover-my-eyes-everything’s-fine-lalalalalalalala even after the squad laid egg after egg after egg. (Which is *fine* by the way. We’re not accountable for our predictions or for our unbridled optimism or our unbridled pessimism. Fandom is fun!)

For instance:

NU was 3-9 in the conference when you *still* predicted a postseason berth. They had just blown a ~15-point lead to Iowa in ~5 minutes. (“based on...current trend”!!) They were not a postseason team. Your analysis was very, very, very wrong. To your credit, you finally threw in the towel after Rutgers.

No, I won’t make a screen name bet.

Show, me where based on actual facts (er.g. KenPom ranking, other commentator's assessments, etc.) where I was wrong at the time that we were in the running for the NIT.

And thanks for validating my prediction of an unprecedented 8 BIG teams in the tournament weeks in advance when others on here were saying 7, max! And,to add to fun, I predicted the precise 8 teams and the precise other two teams in the NIT! Seems quite accurate to me!

Show, me where based on actual facts (er.g. KenPom ranking, other commentator's assessments, etc.) where I was wrong at the time that we were in the running for the NIT.

And thanks for validating my prediction of an unprecedented 8 BIG teams in the tournament weeks in advance when others on here were saying 7, max! And,to add to fun, I predicted the precise 8 teams and the precise other two teams in the NIT! Seems quite accurate to me!
It is unique that you are claiming that “Northwestern to the NIT” was a good prediction. You predicted they would go to the NIT. They did not. Your analysis all basketball season was off, because, until the final three weeks of the season, you insisted they were close and in the running for the postseason. They were not.

This is why I pointed out that you were off in your basketball analysis all season.

Anyway, I’m not interested in this discussion.

This was a good line:

-1 for Mike.

And this was excellent:
This, and every bit of his Northwestern basketball analysis from October through February.

Here’s to better times in 2020!

It is unique that you are claiming that “Northwestern to the NIT” was a good prediction. You predicted they would go to the NIT. They did not. Your analysis all basketball season was off, because, until the final three weeks of the season, you insisted they were close and in the running for the postseason. They were not.

This is why I pointed out that you were off in your basketball analysis all season.

Anyway, I’m not interested in this discussion.

This was a good line:

And this was excellent:

Here’s to better times in 2020!

Uh, their KenPom, NET and Sagarin rankings were well withing NIT range at the time, and, in fact higher than prior NU teams that made the NIT. Again, happy to see any factual evidence you have that they were not NIT material on that day back in February...

And I was right on EVERY other team. So how was I "off in my basketball analysis all season again?" Loooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Uh, their KenPom, NET and Sagarin rankings were well withing NIT range at the time, and, in fact higher than prior NU teams that made the NIT. Again, happy to see any factual evidence you have that they were not NIT material on that day back in February...

And I was right on EVERY other team. So how was I "off in my basketball analysis all season again?" Loooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

He's not talking about other people or other prognosticators. He is talking about you specifically. Don't bring up straw men, like "Well, you're saying I was wrong but so was everybody else so you're wrong about me."

In fact he is right about you being wrong, regardless of who else was wrong.

I think there is something going on here that we do not know about.....

giphy.gif

Reactions: mikewebb68
He's not talking about other people or other prognosticators. He is talking about you specifically. Don't bring up straw men, like "Well, you're saying I was wrong but so was everybody else so you're wrong about me."

In fact he is right about you being wrong, regardless of who else was wrong.

Wouldn't it be better for the poster in question telling me what the poster is talking about rather that you chiming in because you don't like me with your interpretation of what the poster is talking about? Also, see PPD's post.

You were wrong in predicting Ayo was going pro as I pointed out to you...

And you thought he would not even test the waters? Sounds like fan bias, as opposed to an actual prediction.

I'm very surprised he didn't put his name in. But then again, I think the feedback he'd get on what to work on is fairly obvious to anyone who watched him play. Needs to improve strength, athleticism. Shooting off the dribble vs off the catch. Get to the FT line more. Not rocket surgery here.

Reactions: mikewebb68
And you thought he would not even test the waters? Sounds like fan bias, as opposed to an actual prediction.
You don’t have to enter the draft to get feedback. He didn’t make his decision with his head buried in the sand.

You don’t have to enter the draft to get feedback. He didn’t make his decision with his head buried in the sand.
Then why do most people enter to test the waters? Especially those projected as a late first or early second round pick like Ayo: who publicly went on record as wanting to be a one and done player? Hope it works out for the young man: but something really seems odd with this decision: like there is more to this srory than the public knows..

Then why do most people enter to test the waters? Especially those projected as a late first or early second round pick like Ayo: who publicly went on record as wanting to be a one and done player? Hope it works out for the young man: but something really seems odd with this decision: like there is more to this srory than the public knows..
Probably being held hostage by Underwood

Why is it everyone always has to be declared right or wrong?
What greater meaning is there to our tortured existences beyond being right on the internet?
Can there be a loftier goal? I think not.

Anyhow, I think BU is a jackass, but I wish the player luck and good health next year. Not against the Cats you understand, but generally and with regards to next year’s draft.

He basically said that he got the feedback that he needed already. The earnings difference between a late first or second rounder versus where he is projected next season make it worth the risk as a business decision. Few kids have the type of support around him that Ayo does. It's too bad more don't.

He basically said that he got the feedback that he needed already. The earnings difference between a late first or second rounder versus where he is projected next season make it worth the risk as a business decision. Few kids have the type of support around him that Ayo does. It's too bad more don't.
Unless his draft stock slips which can happen as scouts pick him apart more.

"Not rocket surgery here." I think it's rocket science.......

The term "rocket surgery" is a blend of the idioms "rocket science" and "brain surgery" used to describe difficult actions. It started as a malaphor but has entered the language as its own idiom with the same meaning as its parents.

That's a malapropism...nope, a spoonerism...it's either a malapropism or a spoonerism....or neither

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT