ADVERTISEMENT

Impressive Hire! Welcome Coach Jake

NU Line

Dec 20, 2018
My initial reaction to the hire was lukewarm but the more I read about Coach Jake and his success over the last few years the more excited I am.

In 2016, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 16th in the NFL averaging 245 ypg
In 2017, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 4th in the NFL averaging 273 ypg
In 2018, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 1st in the NFL averaging 320 ypg

That is quite an improvement year after year. Even more impressive is that fact that Coach Jake dealt with injuries to Winston in 2017 and 2018 and put up these stats with Ryan Fitzpatrick starting almost half the season.

Granted, one of the reasons the Bucs were passing the ball so much was because the defense was so bad and they were involved in a lot of high scoring games but still an impressive feat.

Coach Jake had great success in his return to college football and I think he learned a lot in his 3 years in the NFL. I like the idea of us utilizing more tight ends like NFL teams (Patriots, Chiefs, Saints, and now the Ravens have all been having tremendous success with TEs. Over the years we have had many quality tight ends such as Drake Dunsmore, Garrett Dickerson, Dan Vitale, Cam Green, etc and I think we will have more success recruiting solid TEs then we will getting elite 4.3 speed WRs to commit to us over names like OSU, Clemson, etc. With our academic restrictions, it seems that more solid TEs would qualify for admissions vs WRs.

Just to clarify, NU Line, those are passing yardage totals and rankings, not total offense. Still impressive gains.
Also, I echo Julescat's question. Your comment, without further explanation, smacks of a dog-whistle.

Just to clarify, NU Line, those are passing yardage totals and rankings, not total offense. Still impressive gains.
Also, I echo Julescat's question. Your comment, without further explanation, smacks of a dog-whistle.

He was the QB coach not offensive coordinator which is why I went with the passing numbers rather than total offense.

It seems that more of the elite TEs and Olineman meet our academic requirements more than other position groups. For some evidence, below are the wonder lake scores by position group...

Note that OL, QB, and TE are the highest and WR and RB are the lowest.

The DTs and DEs must be well above 30, correct?

The DTs and DEs must be well above 30, correct?
More like 20. But they do not play offense anyway and his point is that we would likely have a larger talent pool available to us of recruits we could actually get past admissions at TE than any other skill position other than QB. According to this the average WR score qualifies them to be security guards and average RB does not even qualify to do that. So average WR or RB is not close to being NU material. Very small % of those positions would actually get past our admissions (which helps to explain our issues with getting top guys in these positions) Likely bigger talent pool at TE.

This shows the average Wonderlic scores by position and also shows than NU's average is 31.33 (highest in P5)

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/archive/index.php/t-49403.html

This shows what averages correspond to as well as other things about the test

https://wonderlictestsample.com/wonderlic-test-scoring/

It seems that more of the elite TEs and Olineman meet our academic requirements more than other position groups. For some evidence, below are the wonder lake scores by position group...

Note that OL, QB, and TE are the highest and WR and RB are the lowest.
Definitely shows why we have had more issues recruiting at some of the skill positions. Interesting that at some schools the average scores are in the range that signing their name would be an accomplishment. OSU average is around 24 which is reasonable. NU average is 31.33 highest in P5

This also underscores why it is complete BS that OL is difficult for NU to recruit. Should be the easiest in that the scores are the highest but also schools like Wisconsin and Nebraska regularly take walk ons feed and develop them into NFL linemen. Just damning of the wasted Cushing years.

Reactions: lunker35
This also underscores why it is complete BS that OL is difficult for NU to recruit. Should be the easiest in that the scores are the highest but also schools like Wisconsin and Nebraska regularly take walk ons feed and develop them into NFL linemen. Just damning of the wasted Cushing years.

Do we have to do this again? Top OL, even the smart ones that qualify at NU, (I) view themselves first and foremost as football players and (II) get recruited by all the "big boys" because top-quality OL are so important. Not like NU can simply waltz into the living room of a kid with a 3.8 and 29 ACT and say "hey, you're smart, come to NU!" when he has Alabama, OSU, etc. beating down his door.

Taylor Decker is a perfect example. He was an extremely high academic kid (3.9 GPA and 30+ ACT if I recall correctly) who was initially very interested in NU. Then he started getting offers from OSU, etc. and was like "well, sorry."

Do we have to do this again? Top OL, even the smart ones that qualify at NU, (I) view themselves first and foremost as football players and (II) get recruited by all the "big boys" because top-quality OL are so important. Not like NU can simply waltz into the living room of a kid with a 3.8 and 29 ACT and say "hey, you're smart, come to NU!" when he has Alabama, OSU, etc. beating down his door.

Taylor Decker is a perfect example. He was an extremely high academic kid (3.9 GPA and 30+ ACT if I recall correctly) who was initially very interested in NU. Then he started getting offers from OSU, etc. and was like "well, sorry."
The quality of the football team/experience will always be more important than the quality of the academic program to the vast number of recruits.

That is certainly true, but I think his point is that given the average test scores, if they are indicative of academics, a much higher proportion of OL and TEs are likely to qualify for NU than WRs. I understand why some people thought this was a loaded comment, but there do appear to be some facts to support.

Reactions: DaCat
My initial reaction to the hire was lukewarm but the more I read about Coach Jake and his success over the last few years the more excited I am.

In 2016, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 16th in the NFL averaging 245 ypg
In 2017, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 4th in the NFL averaging 273 ypg
In 2018, Tampa Bay's offense ranked 1st in the NFL averaging 320 ypg

That is quite an improvement year after year. Even more impressive is that fact that Coach Jake dealt with injuries to Winston in 2017 and 2018 and put up these stats with Ryan Fitzpatrick starting almost half the season.

Granted, one of the reasons the Bucs were passing the ball so much was because the defense was so bad and they were involved in a lot of high scoring games but still an impressive feat.

Coach Jake had great success in his return to college football and I think he learned a lot in his 3 years in the NFL. I like the idea of us utilizing more tight ends like NFL teams (Patriots, Chiefs, Saints, and now the Ravens have all been having tremendous success with TEs. Over the years we have had many quality tight ends such as Drake Dunsmore, Garrett Dickerson, Dan Vitale, Cam Green, etc and I think we will have more success recruiting solid TEs then we will getting elite 4.3 speed WRs to commit to us over names like OSU, Clemson, etc. With our academic restrictions, it seems that more solid TEs would qualify for admissions vs WRs.
Only in the movies, my friend. Only in the movies. Comparing the NFL to college, much less Fitz' offensive mind, is like comparing a 8A State High School football championship team to a pee wee team. GET REAL!

The sad and scientific realities are more than haunting this program. The given is this: Fitz scrapped the spread because he wants to go to a power running offensive scheme. The results are the exact sorta thing we would expect.....disastrous. Over the last 8 years we are firmly over 100 ranked on offense. Stats don't lie. It is worse if you break it down to the top teams and leave out the sisters of the poor. More troubling is that the new OC has the same system and it didn't work at BC either. Yea, he had some big games where he ran up the total yardage against awful teams, but when comparing ranked teams (Hint: The big ten had alot more than the ACC) his offense actually has been a complete disaster.

He ran that silly TE offense against Notre Dame and Clemson and got cornholed. In each game, his TE power offense accumulated around 150 yards each. And would have been held scoreless if not for a blooper play in each game.

Can this system work? Sure, but not when you can't get the top OL who are 'college ready'. And not when you put your best big men on defense (See Lancaster, etc). Dude, we are like 3 deep along the DL and granted we are good on defense, what about the offense? Maybe when Fitz starts being fair to his offensive coaches and maybe puts the new recruit, i.e., a 300 lb stud, over on OL....maybe then we could do this mindless 3 yard and cloud of dust football.

Until then and when Fitz finally recruits good, we can do this and get in the top 50 of offenses. But until then, I think Walker was right, the academic restrictions restrict access to the top OL, thus your best shot is zone blocking and spreading the field. I trust Walker

You don't understand. Sorry.

Walker + 1
Fitz/ NU Line -1

And what the hell is the deal with academic restrictions? I can't believe we are still having this discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if the trustees just don't want see athletics excel.

Only in the movies, my friend. Only in the movies. Comparing the NFL to college, much less Fitz' offensive mind, is like comparing a 8A State High School football championship team to a pee wee team. GET REAL!

The sad and scientific realities are more than haunting this program. The given is this: Fitz scrapped the spread because he wants to go to a power running offensive scheme. The results are the exact sorta thing we would expect.....disastrous. Over the last 8 years we are firmly over 100 ranked on offense. Stats don't lie. It is worse if you break it down to the top teams and leave out the sisters of the poor. More troubling is that the new OC has the same system and it didn't work at BC either. Yea, he had some big games where he ran up the total yardage against awful teams, but when comparing ranked teams (Hint: The big ten had alot more than the ACC) his offense actually has been a complete disaster.

He ran that silly TE offense against Notre Dame and Clemson and got cornholed. In each game, his TE power offense accumulated around 150 yards each. And would have been held scoreless if not for a blooper play in each game.

Can this system work? Sure, but not when you can't get the top OL who are 'college ready'. And not when you put your best big men on defense (See Lancaster, etc). Dude, we are like 3 deep along the DL and granted we are good on defense, what about the offense? Maybe when Fitz starts being fair to his offensive coaches and maybe puts the new recruit, i.e., a 300 lb stud, over on OL....maybe then we could do this mindless 3 yard and cloud of dust football.

Until then and when Fitz finally recruits good, we can do this and get in the top 50 of offenses. But until then, I think Walker was right, the academic restrictions restrict access to the top OL, thus your best shot is zone blocking and spreading the field. I trust Walker

Walker + 1
Fitz/ NU Line -1

It’s amazing how many inaccuracies you can squeeze into one post. Plus a couple of veiled shots at gcg. This is some of your better work. Very impressive.

Reactions: corbi296

Walker + 1
Fitz/ NU Line -1

Stop making shit up.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Walker + 1
Fitz/ NU Line -1

No need to apologize. I don't lose rewards points for not understanding this BS.

And what the hell is the deal with academic restrictions? I can't believe we are still having this discussion. I wouldn't be surprised if the trustees just don't want see athletics excel.

LOL.

The trustees don't want athletics to excel so they approved $400 million for the, oh wait, you must still think it's the Fake by the Lake.

Once again, in your rush to sh!t on NU and its fans, you succeeded in getting it all over yourself and running down your legs and soiling yourself.

Go get cleaned up Turk.

And what happened when the spread went up against “power running” teams like Nebraska and TCU back in The early 2000s? We got the $&?!! kicked out of us.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Can’t really tell what’s going on here but I’ll just say this:

It feels good to have recently ignored Turk.

Reactions: phatcat
Thanks for taking the time to discover what isn't obvious in Coach Jake's hiring.

The folks here and at other places he's been were all lukewarm about it, but it's harder to succeed in the NFL than anywhere else, so there's real hope that NU's O will improve quickly.

It's hard to recruit at NU, but it's even harder to recruit difference-makers on O when your O is ranked in the 100's.

Thanks for taking the time to discover what isn't obvious in Coach Jake's hiring.

The folks here and at other places he's been were all lukewarm about it, but it's harder to succeed in the NFL than anywhere else, so there's real hope that NU's O will improve quickly.

It's hard to recruit at NU, but it's even harder to recruit difference-makers on O when your O is ranked in the 100's.

He didn’t call the plays in the NFL. He did coach the QBs, so there is that, but not sure he can take the credit for Tampa’s offensive performance. At least from a play calling perspective. I doubt we are going to be passing for 320 yards per game and run 68 yards.

It’s amazing how many inaccuracies you can squeeze into one post. Plus a couple of veiled shots at gcg. This is some of your better work. Very impressive.
Kindly provide any evidence of his offense at BC doing well against a ranked team? And remember, ranked teams are many in the Big Ten. Not interested in his offense totaling up yards against the sisters of the poor. His offenses got bigtime shut down, much like Fitz' offenses, against top teams. It's the system imo, not the OC.

Staying objective in all of this, his offenses don't stagger against really awful teams like McCall's did. So, he is an upgrade as I noted. But I find no evidence that you and others are suggesting that this guy is a savior. His offense is tight and dare I say much like what McCall had? But if you want to crown him, crown him. I hope you are right, but I haven't seen any evidence of his OC duties that he should be crowned this early.

At the end of the day, our struggles on offense will continue with an offense that died out of the NCAA in the last century. Not saying we can't "Frankenstein" the damn thing, but to do so would assume that we all of the sudden recruit big heavily recruited OL and monster TE's. Not happening! Not with Fitz. Just because Walker and Barnett recruited NFL type OL doesn't mean Fitz does. Sorry Coral. Stick to being a food dude.

Coral -1
Turk +2

Kindly provide any evidence of his offense at BC doing well against a ranked team? And remember, ranked teams are many in the Big Ten. Not interested in his offense totaling up yards against the sisters of the poor. His offenses got bigtime shut down, much like Fitz' offenses, against top teams. It's the system imo, not the OC.

Staying objective in all of this, his offenses don't stagger against really awful teams like McCall's did. So, he is an upgrade as I noted. But I find no evidence that you and others are suggesting that this guy is a savior. His offense is tight and dare I say much like what McCall had? But if you want to crown him, crown him. I hope you are right, but I haven't seen any evidence of his OC duties that he should be crowned this early.

At the end of the day, our struggles on offense will continue with an offense that died out of the NCAA in the last century. Not saying we can't "Frankenstein" the damn thing, but to do so would assume that we all of the sudden recruit big heavily recruited OL and monster TE's. Not happening! Not with Fitz. Just because Walker and Barnett recruited NFL type OL doesn't mean Fitz does. Sorry Coral. Stick to being a food dude.

Coral -1
Turk +2

Provide any logic for using a single season as the basis for judging Bajakian’s career besides “I’m just a blatant and obvious troll at this point.”

Provide any logic for using a single season as the basis for judging Bajakian’s career besides “I’m just a blatant and obvious troll at this point.”
So you think using his most current season is trolling? What I did was present his only season as the OC at Boston College. And, quite frankly, not good. The reason I did so was because you guys made this guy out as a diamond in the rough and the next Josh Macdaniels. NOT HAPPENING!

I came away with 3 objective things, based on the evidence of his only year as OC where he ran a "12" offense.
1. His offensive mentality seemed to switch from the spread up tempo to the '12 but still up tempo'. Almost the same as McCall, who utilized the spread but with Fitz insisting on a power running tight formation offense. he BC coach made it clear, like Fitz, that he wanted a TE heavy offense.
2. Like McCall, he was a 'par' OC with the spread. Not bad, but certainly didn't shake up the record books. However, like McCall, he struggled with the TE power running offenses. Some will naively look at the general stats and see his offense ranked around 40 but with so many stink teams, the number is deceptive. Against ranked teams, dude couldn't even get much more than 150 yards in each ranked opponent. And would have been shut out in 2 games if not for a botched play. Again, not good.
3. His offenses did do better against stink teams though, when compared to McCall. This is where I drew the red circle as something significant. Next year we have quite a few stinker games. I think with McCall, we might have won 4-5 games next year. But with this guy, the assessment shows that this move by Fitz boosted our projected wins 2 games and we ought to get back in a bowl game at 6-7 wins next year.

That is my assessment, based on the only year that matters. If you want to do like NU Line and reap praises over a guy for being a position coach in the NFL then crown him. If you don't share my assessment then fine. But instead of offering up your same ole shit "My Life For Fitz", how about take a minute and argue against my assessment and give reasons why his offense blowed against ranked opponents. Hell, maybe a few OL got hurt, dunno. I haven't the time to spend on the specifics on why his offense blowed against ranked teams, but it did. You necessarily have to admit that, but you could offer us reasons of optimism by digging deeper and finding out if someone got hurt or if there were alot of turnovers, etc.

Look, both him and McCall's lack of productivity may be inherent in the offense and nothing to do with them. Sorta like playing the Kings Indian when it became out of favor with new moves against it. This offense simply doesn't work in this century. If you can provide evidence that it works in the college levels at a school like NU then please do so, but don't talk shit and present dopey 'apples to oranges' comparisons with the Baltimore Ravens. Don't insult.

Oh, and please don't use the Patriots as an example either. We don't have Cronk, Brady, or Edelman. To attack all 8 gaps, we need some big boys up front and the ability of TE's to also go vertical. We don't have any of that.

Last edited:
So you think using his most current season is trolling? What I did was present his only season as the OC at Boston College. And, quite frankly, not good. The reason I did so was because you guys made this guy out as a diamond in the rough and the next Josh Macdaniels. NOT HAPPENING!

I came away with 3 objective things, based on the evidence of his only year as OC where he ran a "12" offense.
1. His offensive mentality seemed to switch from the spread up tempo to the '12 but still up tempo'. Almost the same as McCall, who utilized the spread but with Fitz insisting on a power running tight formation offense. he BC coach made it clear, like Fitz, that he wanted a TE heavy offense.
2. Like McCall, he was a 'par' OC with the spread. Not bad, but certainly didn't shake up the record books. However, like McCall, he struggled with the TE power running offenses. Some will naively look at the general stats and see his offense ranked around 40 but with so many stink teams, the number is deceptive. Against ranked teams, dude couldn't even get much more than 150 yards in each ranked opponent. And would have been shut out in 2 games if not for a botched play. Again, not good.
3. His offenses did do better against stink teams though, when compared to McCall. This is where I drew the red circle as something significant. Next year we have quite a few stinker games. I think with McCall, we might have won 4-5 games next year. But with this guy, the assessment shows that this move by Fitz boosted our projected wins 2 games and we ought to get back in a bowl game at 6-7 wins next year.

That is my assessment, based on the only year that matters. If you want to do like NU Line and reap praises over a guy for being a position coach in the NFL then crown him. If you don't share my assessment then fine. But instead of offering up your same ole shit "My Life For Fitz", how about take a minute and argue against my assessment and give reasons why his offense blowed against ranked opponents. Hell, maybe a few OL got hurt, dunno. I haven't the time to spend on the specifics on why his offense blowed against ranked teams, but it did. You necessarily have to admit that, but you could offer us reasons of optimism by digging deeper and finding out if someone got hurt or if there were alot of turnovers, etc.

Look, both him and McCall's lack of productivity may be inherent in the offense and nothing to do with them. Sorta like playing the Kings Indian when it became out of favor with new moves against it. This offense simply doesn't work in this century. If you can provide evidence that it works in the college levels at a school like NU then please do so, but don't talk shit and present dopey 'apples to oranges' comparisons with the Baltimore Ravens. Don't insult.

Yes, using a single season out of a guy’s two decade career is stupid. He used 12 personnel and ran the hell out of AJ Dillion because he had one hell of a running back. He’s also run pass-heavy spreads. More than anything else, Bajakian has proven that he actually does run a multiple scheme... which is what we have been desperately lacking for the better part of a decade.

Pretty convenient for you to overlook the fact that pretty much nobody did much against Notre Dame or especially Clemson this year. Also doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that BC was on its backup QB making his second start against Clemson, who is the #1 defense in the country.

McCall was not a “par” OC at the end of his tenure. He was a flat awful OC at that point.

This is not a “home run” hire, but I never really expected that. I thought Fitz would hire someone like Gregg Brandon, extremely “inside the tent.” Bajakian has proven that he can adapt to different personnel and scheme, which is good enough for me at this point.

Plus there are a whole lot more things happening behind the scenes that make me feel better about the situation.

Reactions: lunker35
Yes, using a single season out of a guy’s two decade career is stupid. He used 12 personnel and ran the hell out of AJ Dillion because he had one hell of a running back. He’s also run pass-heavy spreads. More than anything else, Bajakian has proven that he actually does run a multiple scheme... which is what we have been desperately lacking for the better part of a decade.

Pretty convenient for you to overlook the fact that pretty much nobody did much against Notre Dame or especially Clemson this year. Also doesn’t take a brain surgeon to figure out that BC was on its backup QB making his second start against Clemson, who is the #1 defense in the country.

McCall was not a “par” OC at the end of his tenure. He was a flat awful OC at that point.

This is not a “home run” hire, but I never really expected that. I thought Fitz would hire someone like Gregg Brandon, extremely “inside the tent.” Bajakian has proven that he can adapt to different personnel and scheme, which is good enough for me at this point.

Plus there are a whole lot more things happening behind the scenes that make me feel better about the situation.
No, of course McCall was not 'par' at the end. Kindly reread my comment again.
As far as this new guy, he does have credibility. It wasn't like he just coached at the MAC level or was a high school coach like McCall. Having an OC who worked with the "Top" of his profession, i.e., NFL, and also worked as an OC in the SEC under coaches who are super connected in the football coach network, is an indicator that he is a professional in his trade and thought of well. I think he fits what Fitz wants. Seems like he has been bounced around though due to crappy staffs and firings.
Then again, we need some serious upgrading in recruiting. If Fitz brought in the same talent that Walker or Barnett did, then he might have joined them with Big Ten Championships.

No, of course McCall was not 'par' at the end. Kindly reread my comment again.
As far as this new guy, he does have credibility. It wasn't like he just coached at the MAC level or was a high school coach like McCall. Having an OC who worked with the "Top" of his profession, i.e., NFL, and also worked as an OC in the SEC under coaches who are super connected in the football coach network, is an indicator that he is a professional in his trade and thought of well. I think he fits what Fitz wants. Seems like he has been bounced around though due to crappy staffs and firings.
Then again, we need some serious upgrading in recruiting. If Fitz brought in the same talent that Walker or Barnett did, then he might have joined them with Big Ten Championships.

“I’m just going to keep flinging shit around because that’s all I do around here anymore.”

Oh, and please don't use the Patriots as an example either. We don't have Cronk, Brady, or Edelman. To attack all 8 gaps, we need some big boys up front and the ability of TE's to also go vertical. We don't have any of that.

I'm not 100% on Jake, but what the devil are you babbling about?

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT