ADVERTISEMENT

In defense of Wright

mesacat

May 29, 2001
The scoop on Wright was he's fast but inaccurate. Our coaches knew this and more when after watching a ton of film from his play at Vandy and MSU tendered the invite. Inspite of his shortcomings he beat Hydroxide and was on the brink of an overtime win against Duke when Lujan ran a brain dead play on 3rd and one. Wright also didn't miss a FG which would have won it in regulation.. I hope the coaches are sitting him as an object lesson in valuing the ball with the intention of starting again especially if Lausch falters today.

Reactions: Figrating
I have had seats since 1996. I have seen a ton of terrible qb play at NU games. I normally will not criticize a player, but the landscape has changed. Wright is a professional, hired gun. His performance against Duke was in the top 5 of bad QB performances in my years of games. He was not an effective runner or passer. He was indecisive. He was terrible.

Don’t see Wright’s play as terrible but more in the ‘not good’ categories.

This roster requires a good to great QB that can deal with shortcomings of offensive line. Wright didn’t fit in that category on that evening.

His propensity to turnover ball is one of his biggest flaws

The scoop on Wright was he's fast but inaccurate. Our coaches knew this and more when after watching a ton of film from his play at Vandy and MSU tendered the invite. Inspite of his shortcomings he beat Hydroxide and was on the brink of an overtime win against Duke when Lujan ran a brain dead play on 3rd and one. Wright also didn't miss a FG which would have won it in regulation.. I hope the coaches are sitting him as an object lesson in valuing the ball with the intention of starting again especially if Lausch falters today.
I fully agree.

Pretty difficult to criticize QB play without identifying the player. Same thing with pretty much any position if the analysis is worth anything. Never have understood this theory. West Lot Pirates goes on and on about not identifying players and as a result talks mostly in generalities. Really doesn't help their podcast which, while I appreciate the guys putting in a lot of work, sticks to 20k ft views. The OL needs work type of thing. No one needs to relentlessly beat on a player but to identify play that impacts the result is totally fair IMO and doesn't need to be based on whether that player gets NIL or not.

Reactions: Eurocat
I have had seats since 1996. I have seen a ton of terrible qb play at NU games. I normally will not criticize a player, but the landscape has changed. Wright is a professional, hired gun. His performance against Duke was in the top 5 of bad QB performances in my years of games. He was not an effective runner or passer. He was indecisive. He was terrible.
He was not good last week, but top 5 worst performances since 1996 is saying a lot. We’ve had a lot of good QB’s, but there have been some lousy ones in there and some dreadful performances. Watkins, Brewer, etc. Top 5 feels a little much. But your overall point remains.

Given Braun’s comments I have a feeling even if we won against Duke Wright was getting yanked. Let’s just hope Lausch doesn’t suck!

He was not good last week, but top 5 worst performances since 1996 is saying a lot. We’ve had a lot of good QB’s, but there have been some lousy ones in there and some dreadful performances. Watkins, Brewer, etc. Top 5 feels a little much. But your overall point remains.
This is probably true. Brewer the first 3-4 games of 2006, Watkins at Wisconsin in 2010, Hunter Johnson, Aiden Smith…

I agree. Thought he played like a redshirt soph not a grad transfer. Should have had at least two more INT’s - balls literally thrown to Duke defenders. It was the indecisiveness that frustrated me…he seemed so reluctant to pull the ball down and run; seemed like he was forcing those throws when he was on the run. I’m hopeful Lausch is the guy. Lujan obviously saw enough this Spring to feel good about him starting.

I agree. Thought he played like a redshirt soph not a grad transfer. Should have had at least two more INT’s - balls literally thrown to Duke defenders. It was the indecisiveness that frustrated me…he seemed so reluctant to pull the ball down and run; seemed like he was forcing those throws when he was on the run. I’m hopeful Lausch is the guy. Lujan obviously saw enough this Spring to feel good about him starting.
Sullivan is better. I just hope that the Rock rumors of Lausch making amazing strides in the spring are true and he proves to be the best option.

The Duke safety who followed him all over the field was fast enough to shut down Wright's running.
Otherwise he breaks off some nice runs.
But his passing is still not good enough.
Basically Sullivan with more footspeed - and maybe a little less field vision.

I like the guy but he was out of control with the ball. And he wasn't doing nearly enough to offset it with other big plays or scoring. If he had 4 tds in each of the games this might be a different story

Inaccuracy is not why he got benched. He got benched because he made a lot of really terrible decisions against Duke.

I feel like overall we’ve had a good run of quarterback play the last 20 years or so. But when we’ve been bad there, we have been terrible. The issue is that since Thorson, we haven’t developed anyone, so more often than not we’ve been indefensible (though I continue to wonder how a season of TJ Green might have worked out). Lujan and Braun need to show they can recruit and develop someone. Right now, the jury is out, but in their defense, they didn’t recruit Lausch and Wright was a last resort. But we are in a year like some of those noted above where we just don’t have anyone competent.

Wright is who we know he is, and who we knew he was. Me, you, and the coaching staff.

I don’t think Wright could have put together a game of this quality. Lausch is the better option.

Nothing was promised Wright, and it seems like he’s a good teammate. His TD run against Miami was beautiful.

I feel like overall we’ve had a good run of quarterback play the last 20 years or so. But when we’ve been bad there, we have been terrible. The issue is that since Thorson, we haven’t developed anyone, so more often than not we’ve been indefensible (though I continue to wonder how a season of TJ Green might have worked out). Lujan and Braun need to show they can recruit and develop someone. Right now, the jury is out, but in their defense, they didn’t recruit Lausch and Wright was a last resort. But we are in a year like some of those noted above where we just don’t have anyone competent.

It would seem then that Jake's QB recruiting had at least come closer to pointing us in the right direction after the last few years of McCall with Sully. Lausch and Gray. Not saying it was great, just better

It would seem then that Jake's QB recruiting had at least come closer to pointing us in the right direction after the last few years of McCall with Sully. Lausch and Gray. Not saying it was great, just better

Assuming Fitz was instrumental in signing those three after the Bajakian failures. Fitz got sick of local guys heading elsewhere and having success.

Any news of him? Seems to have disappeared
I believe he is the most recent of the Jake recruits (recruiting class of 2023) so he is presently a RS Frosh. Saw some people walking back to tailgate lot with Gray jerseys on so most likely family. Boe verbaled in Dec and just got to campus so not sure he is Jake's as he was on way out at that point

Assuming Fitz was instrumental in signing those three after the Bajakian failures. Fitz got sick of local guys heading elsewhere and having success.
I thought Sullivan, Lausch and Gray were Jake's recruits. First year he would have been involved in the QB recruiting was recruiting class of 2021 (Sullivan) then 2022 (Lausch) and 2023 (Gray). While I am sure that Fitz was involved, what level is likely harder to determine.

2020 (Richardson) is probably McCall's last guy

I thought Sullivan, Lausch and Gray were Jake's recruits. First year he would have been involved in the QB recruiting was recruiting class of 2021 (Sullivan) then 2022 (Lausch) and 2023 (Gray). While I am sure that Fitz was involved, what level is likely harder to determine.

2020 (Richardson) is probably McCall's last guy
Carl Richardson was famously Bajakian’s first recruit. There’s an article on this site from when he first committed

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
Neither Lausch nor Gray had P4 offers to play football. Lausch is a unique case of course. Sullivan had Indiana.

I saw Gray on the sideline during the broadcast. I thought he was in pads but I could be wrong. Based on what little buzz there was and is, I’d imagine he will not play snaps in a competitive game at NU.

Neither Lausch nor Gray had P4 offers to play football. Lausch is a unique case of course. Sullivan had Indiana.

I saw Gray on the sideline during the broadcast. I thought he was in pads but I could be wrong. Based on what little buzz there was and is, I’d imagine he will not play snaps in a competitive game at NU.
A little early to write him off don’t you think?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The entire 2019 QB room says hold my beer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT