ADVERTISEMENT

In football we take a knee, Purdue obviously had the betting line in mind.

Rebel II

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2021
Indianapolis
Sportsmanship? Disrespecting your opponent? Spitting in their face! Having your shooter intentionally step across the line and cancel the four post game gift fts would have earned Painter and Purdue international respect. Instead, they shat on our effort. I think they say "karma is a bitch!"
(This is a form of sarcasm)

Last edited:
Not sure on that one. A free 4 points to pad your average, improve your statistical rankings, and make your case for the overall number one spot in the tournament? I see the argument for going straight to the handshake line but I think you give the crowd what they want..

I also think the line was -13 and they were well over the over already

I am also a bit confused how it's not cool to attack the basket if the game is called, but you do your thing to hit all 4 of FT if you have them. It's not even that you would screw with a regular player's stats. It was a technical, you could have had a walk on brick them.

In the end what is wrong is probably not hitting the free throws. It's the all, we dribble it out if the game is called.

Last edited:
Sportsmanship? Disrespecting your opponent? Spitting in their face! Having your shooter intentionally step across the line and cancel the four post game gift fts would have earned Painter and Purdue international respect. Instead, they shat on our effort. I think they say "karma is a bitch!"
No problem with them taking and making the FT’s. As my HS Coach was fond of saying, “ it’s a pimple on a tough guys butt”. It just is meaningless.

If they would have tanked those free throws they would have been accused of playing to the bettors. either way it sucked. Problem was Collins went off and caused the thing. Hell, he said before the game he had three centers and was going to use 15 fouls on Zack. Mission accomplished, Collins game plan was to play Hack a Zack and that's what he did. NW didn't get to the line because they shot mostly threes and Purdue didn't have anyone who could stay close enough to either Buie or Berry to foul them LOL

Collins game plan was to play Hack a Zack and that's what he did.
That wasn't the game plan.
It was a comment on his belief that the refs would call excessive fouls on our big guys.
He was right. If it was an attempt at reverse psychology, it failed.

Reactions: EagerFan
Trying to think of a time when I've ever seen someone not take the free throws awarded them in the name of sportsmanship. The only time I can recall a player intentionally missing a free throw (aside from trying to get the rebound to tie/win with only a couple of seconds left) is when Bohannon missed a free throw so as not to break Chris Street's consecutive ft record at Iowa.

I think what you're suggesting is nearly unprecedented, if not completely.

Reactions: Rebel II
Problem was Collins went off and caused the thing. Hell, he said before the game he had three centers and was going to use 15 fouls on Zack. Mission accomplished, Collins game plan was to play Hack a Zack and that's what he did.
You guys all sure heard that one quote and have fully leaned into that as justification for your lucky win!

Trying to think of a time when I've ever seen someone not take the free throws awarded them in the name of sportsmanship. The only time I can recall a player intentionally missing a free throw (aside from trying to get the rebound to tie/win with only a couple of seconds left) is when Bohannon missed a free throw so as not to break Chris Street's consecutive ft record at Iowa.

I think what you're suggesting is nearly unprecedented, if not completely.
Agree. Maybe it's easier to take a knee than miss a ft? I intended it as sarcasm and commentary.

Reactions: TC4THREE
You guys all sure heard that one quote and have fully leaned into that as justification for your lucky win!
All you have to do is watch this game again and see how Collins approached defending Edey. Like many other coaches he decided the only chance he had was to play Hack a Zack knowing that Refs cant/won’t call them all. Over the course of the last 3 years Edey has shot more free throws than anyone in the country because he is so big and the only way to defend him is to foul him. Collins knew that. Luck has a lot to do with close games. That is for sure. Collins is a great coach. His antics at the end of the game probably set up Whisky for a win on Sunday. LOL. You guys have a great team now so enjoy it and stop crying about calls.

Last edited:
All you have to do is watch this game again and see how Collins approached defending Edey. Like many other coaches he decided the only chance he had was to play Hack a Zack knowing that Refs cant/won’t call them all. Over the course of the last 3 years Edey has shot more free throws than anyone in the country because he is so big and the only way to defend him is to foul him. Collins knew that. Luck has a lot to do with close games. That is for sure. Collins is a great coach. His antics at the end of the game probably set up Whisky for a win on Sunday. LOL. You guys have a great team now so enjoy it and stop crying about calls.
Again, the issue wasn't fouls called on Edey. The issue was that fouls were not called on PU in an extremely physical game. Buie not going to the line is absurd.

Here is an article from long time sports writer Gregg Doyle who followed Duke basketball when Collins was there.

Again, the issue wasn't fouls called on Edey. The issue was that fouls were not called on PU in an extremely physical game. Buie not going to the line is absurd.

This shows why NW didn’t get to the line. Their offense was so good their guys were wide open most of the time. In this film Berry went down making a 3 because he came down on the defenders foot, not because was fouled. Buie had 8 assists in this game. He dished most of the time when he was in the lane when Zack was there. This was an awesome game that neither team deserved to lose.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce!!!

Feeling triggered? There's probably a support group for that.

smelling finding nemo GIF

This shows why NW didn’t get to the line. Their offense was so good their guys were wide open most of the time. In this film Berry went down making a 3 because he came down on the defenders foot, not because was fouled. Buie had 8 assists in this game. He dished most of the time when he was in the lane when Zack was there. This was an awesome game that neither team deserved to lose.
46-8 is absurd. Sorry.

I feel that Nicholson defended Edey reasonably well when he was on the court.
NU starters beat the Boilers 18-9 over 7 minutes of action.
When Nicholson was on the court, NU outscored Purdue 36-28.
Edey had 6 points (of his 30) when Nicholson was guarding him.

Collins isn't stupid.
He did not order Nicholson to foul Edey so that he could take Nicholson off the court and let Edey score points.

The refs did that.

They aren’t going to intentionally miss free throws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT