ADVERTISEMENT

Inside NU with the reality check

By and large they hit the emotions of the fanbase on the head, but there are a few inaccuracies:
  • We don’t play “a few more Akrons”. The rest of the schedule is much more talented than Akron: all B1G opponents and ND. If the team doesn’t turn it around over the bye, this could be the worst season record-wise of Fitz’s tenure
  • Wasn’t Iowa #4 when we beat them a few years ago? It’s been a while since we beat a top 5 team, but it has happened. Keep in mind that we don’t play top 5 teams too often as the B1G is not the preeminent conference anymore and dOSU is in the other conference (Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma seem to be constantly in the top 5)
  • Nobody should “expect Thorson to be great” less than 9 months from a ACL reconstruction, playing behind a makeshift OL. He has looked about 85-90% healthy at best but hopefully will be healthier with two weeks rest before Michigan
The overarching point of the article, that losses like the one to Akron are deflating & numbing and that we should expect more as fans, is on point. But there are still 9 games left in the season, let’s see if the team can turn it around.

Last edited:
Wasn’t Iowa #4 when we beat them a few years ago? It’s been a while since we beat a top 5 team, but it has happened.

They were #8 in the AP poll and #6 in the coaches' poll when we beat them in 2009. They were ranked #4 in the BCS computer rankings, but that's not normally what people mean when they refer to the last time we beat a top five team.

The last time NU beat a team in the AP top 5 was in 1959.

There are frustrations all around, but Inside NU sucks as bad as the team did. Goren is the worse. I am sure his Daddy will come on here to rip me. The only thing worse than the authors are the buffoons who post on that garbage site.
I wasn't a fan of that piece and let the author know in the comments, but I don't have a problem with the site. Some of their writers get carried away sometimes, but they also have some good things on there from time to time. Besides, I am never going to complain about a website dedicated to NU athletics. We don't exactly get a ton of coverage.

I wasn't a fan of that piece and let the author know in the comments, but I don't have a problem with the site. Some of their writers get carried away sometimes, but they also have some good things on there from time to time. Besides, I am never going to complain about a website dedicated to NU athletics. We don't exactly get a ton of coverage.
Yep, my comments were a hot take, just like inside NU’s.

There are frustrations all around, but Inside NU sucks as bad as the team did. Goren is the worse. I am sure his Daddy will come on here to rip me. The only thing worse than the authors are the buffoons who post on that garbage site.

It's a shame, too, because there was a time when it was an entertaining and knowledgeable site. But then, like this piece, the site couldn't help but get wrapped up in a naive agenda.

Most of those guys have graduated, so I hope the site can find that "infotainment" mix again. There have been two key ingredients missing from that recipe.

I can’t decide if the Gorens vs. Rivals beef is entertaining or unseemly. Probably both.

Poorly written article. Insidenu gets inside information but I skip their articles, which tend to have a barbie tandrum style.

It's a shame, too, because there was a time when it was an entertaining and knowledgeable site. But then, like this piece, the site couldn't help but get wrapped up in a naive agenda.

Most of those guys have graduated, so I hope the site can find that "infotainment" mix again. There have been two key ingredients missing from that recipe.
Yeah I think it's a mixture of what all the people said above. It has potential to be a useful site. And we can always use more NU coverage. But too often they seem to have a hot take narrative, guess it's sort of the immaturity you might expect from some (not all) college kids but it made reading the stuff annoying so I just sort of stopped. I do drop by once in a while - and I think what they tend to do well is (1) legwork to get up to practices and other things and provide firsthand info on players etc, (2) the occasional human interest stories have been quite good on individual player stories.

But on a day-to-day basis, that can get superseded but the forced hot takes / sort-of-snarky approach, the analysis being of mixed / dubious quality, and it seems like a frequent attempt to drop in advanced stats when it doesn't pertain to the point at hand (in order to seem smart I guess? but they don't even always use them in the right ways).

RIP Lake The Posts...

(And PS, gcg I think Mahan is a pro golfer and Trahan was that writer)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat

Excuse me sir. I mostly agree with you on the writers but the posters there are all perfect angels with great opinions.

DOH!!! Absolutely right -- a coworker of mine is also named Mahan and we'd just spoken before I posted, guess my wires got crossed up.

I hate when that happens. In my case, I hardly get a pass. Meh, mistakes happen.

tenor.gif

Reactions: IGNORE2
Goren and Trahan are the worst. At least Trahan sticks to his guns and has kept out of things since Vassar. Goren still climbs out from under his rock to write hit pieces like this one when the program is hurting the most.

I miss Nick Medline, that guy did the dirty work and got inside news.

Last edited:
Goren and Trahan are the worst. At least Trahan sticks to his guns and has kept out of things since Vassar. Goren still climbs out from under his rock to write hit pieces like this one when the program is hurting the most.

Goren publically stated a couple years back that he’s no longer a Northwestern fan. Why does he keep writing about them?

I think you have to remember that the Inside NU writers are primarily students, not professional journalists. It's pretty easy to trash a bunch of 20-year-olds trying to learn their craft. I wouldn't want to read now what I (and some of my Pulitzer Prize-winning classmates) wrote in the Daily when we were at Medill.

If you don't like the site, then don't read it.

I think you have to remember that the Inside NU writers are primarily students, not professional journalists. It's pretty easy to trash a bunch of 20-year-olds trying to learn their craft. I wouldn't want to read now what I (and some of my Pulitzer Prize-winning classmates) wrote in the Daily when we were at Medill.

Goren is in his mid-twenties...not a student. His sole purpose is to trash NU, which he does with everyone one of his articles (twitter posts, etc). By no stretch of the imagination is he above criticism.

I don’t read it. They suck and wouldn’t have read it or been exposed to it if it hadn’t been linked here. Like a car crash, can’t help but look. There is an obvious agenda by this writer. I don’t know anything about your business, but I doubt you or your Pulitzer’s Prize-winning classmates pulled out the blow torch on the same topic over and over .

Scroll up, posts number 11 and 12, typo already corrected, Trahan is correct

Yeah, well, then GCG is absolutely correct. He was the clown that posted the hack job on Collins about the Vassar situation, right?

I don't read the site, at least I don't recall doing so for a few years. That said, if they are putting content out there for public consumption, public reaction to the content is reasonable. I agree that response probably should be calibrated considering that these are "primarily students, not professional journalists." However, they are not writing for a class project. Their pieces here are presumably for, again, public consumption. They are probably better positioned than most to learn from critical response to their work.

Trahan is in law school now. He got out of sports writing.

That's exactly what the problem is, though. It's a bunch of medill nerds who are trying to hone their neutrality muscles, when what people really want from SB nation is a biased fan site

That's exactly what the problem is, though. It's a bunch of medill nerds who are trying to hone their neutrality muscles, when what people really want from SB nation is a biased fan site

No. Their product has been garbage forever, then they react poorly when called on it.

No. Their product has been garbage forever, then they react poorly when called on it.
I think this is a generalization. I think there has been some really good stuff on that board mixed in with a some of their opinion pieces. Maybe I am a more selective in what I read over there, but I get way more benefit from that board than bad feelings. I'm glad its there.

I think this is a generalization. I think there has been some really good stuff on that board mixed in with a some of their opinion pieces. Maybe I am a more selective in what I read over there, but I get way more benefit from that board than bad feelings. I'm glad its there.

The column where they break down key plays is good. Most of the rest, however, makes my old high school newspaper seem like the Times by comparison, imo...

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT