ADVERTISEMENT

InsideNU: Recent former Northwestern player: Allegations of hazing are “100% true”

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021

A third player has anonymously corroborated all of the alleged hazing events, including "running", the player said he’s “sure” that Fitzgerald was aware of the behaviors that occurred, but that “nobody in the program” brought it to him as a “problem.”

If Fitz knew what was going on, and what was alleged to have happened was actually what was happening, I will be very sad and disappointed, and Fitz should no longer be the HC.

1-Just because it did not happen to someone, or it wasn't a big deal to someone, it does not mean it did not happen to someone else or they did not feel it (and are entitled to feeling it) in a completely different way. And that's not acceptable.

2-Back of the envelope calculations - I was in a locker room with other naked males, over 3,000 times. You get desensitized to being naked and act normally, like you are not in your baby swimsuit. But you do not forget you are naked when it comes to doing more than just talking. You do not see doing things naked as normal. I can't recall ever seeing two dudes hugging while naked, let alone do bear crawls and poop like that.

3-Embezzled, exaggerated or not, something happened. 99% certainty on that. That's how it is in the majority of cases. Was it systemic? Maybe not. Was it as brutal as the descriptions given? Maybe not. But something happened and that is not OK

4-Did the coach know? 99% sure he knew of something. Probably not the entire picture. Maybe no one ever complained to him. But he knew something. And did not put an end to it or reported it. And that's not OK. Being fired or not, in my mind, would depend on what unrolls going forward and determines the degree to what this was systemic, frequent, or as hardcore as described. Murky waters, trending to firing.

5-Players coming out in support - big deal, not seeing a whole lot of "I deny hazing happened". Refer to #1.

6-Astonishing that an institution who claims to have and teach some of the brightest minds on the planet, botched the PR side of this so badly.

I have long naturally given up on having heroes or profoundly admiring anyone. Just a few weeks ago I discovered both my favorite actors, pushing 80 yo, have very young girlfriends, who are impregnated. While not illegal, it is just f'ing weird. People are complex. Capable of being exceptional while having negative or uncomfortable aspects to them. I am fully ready to accept someone I admire just f'ed up badly.

1-Just because it did not happen to someone, or it wasn't a big deal to someone, it does not mean it did not happen to someone else or they did not feel it (and are entitled to feeling it) in a completely different way. And that's not acceptable.

2-Back of the envelope calculations - I was in a locker room with other naked males, over 3,000 times. You get desensitized to being naked and act normally, like you are not in your baby swimsuit. But you do not forget you are naked when it comes to doing more than just talking. You do not see doing things naked as normal. I can't recall ever seeing two dudes hugging while naked, let alone do bear crawls and poop like that.

3-Embezzled, exaggerated or not, something happened. 99% certainty on that. That's how it is in the majority of cases. Was it systemic? Maybe not. Was it as brutal as the descriptions given? Maybe not. But something happened and that is not OK

4-Did the coach know? 99% sure he knew of something. Probably not the entire picture. Maybe no one ever complained to him. But he knew something. And did not put an end to it or reported it. And that's not OK. Being fired or not, in my mind, would depend on what unrolls going forward and determines the degree to what this was systemic, frequent, or as hardcore as described. Murky waters, trending to firing.

5-Players coming out in support - big deal, not seeing a whole lot of "I deny hazing happened". Refer to #1.

I have long naturally given up on having heroes or profoundly admiring anyone. Just a few weeks ago I discovered both my favorite actors, pushing 80 yo, have very young girlfriends, who are impregnated. While not illegal, it is just f'ing weird. People are complex. Capable of being exceptional while having negative or uncomfortable aspects to them. I am fully ready to accept someone I admire just f'ed up badly.
Is it okay to exaggerate allegations? Is that an ethical thing to do?

Is it okay to exaggerate allegations? Is that an ethical thing to do?
No, it's not OK and it should have repercussions in some cases. But if I describe witnessing a murder as a guy stabbing someone 100 times, when he only did it 5 times, I don't see how we are not still talking about something serious.

Reactions: Dugan15
If Fitz knew what was going on, and what was alleged to have happened was actually what was happening, I will be very sad and disappointed, and Fitz should no longer be the HC.
I agree but will go one step further. If what is alleged to have happened actually happened, Fitz should be fired whether he knew about it or not.

Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Good advice then, good advice now.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Regardless of what happened, he's definitely gone due to the optics alone. Everyone outside NU has already passed their judgement. Unfortunately, this is going to stain the program for a long time, ala the Hawks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT