ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Board is MELTING DOWN

NU rarely gets credit after a victory. The opposing fan base always focuses on how bad they were. This board does the same thing when NU loses, but not to the same extreme. Face it, can’t re-write history and until NU starts playing in the B1G title game several times a decade, it will likely stay that way.

We beat Purdue because it was the first game of the year. MSU because of injuries to their offense. Rutgers because it was windy. Nebraska because if the ref’s. Whisky due to Hornibrook being out and Iowa because Frentz kept Fant on the pine. Twitterverse is not in full force calling the B1G West pathetic and predicting a championship blow out. Michigan and OSU fans are pissed because beating JNW won’t pad their resume.

I know I am having a great time reading the drivel and look forward to wearing the purple in Indy.

NU rarely gets credit after a victory. The opposing fan base always focuses on how bad they were. This board does the same thing when NU loses, but not to the same extreme. Face it, can’t re-write history and until NU starts playing in the B1G title game several times a decade, it will likely stay that way.

We beat Purdue because it was the first game of the year. MSU because of injuries to their offense. Rutgers because it was windy. Nebraska because if the ref’s. Whisky due to Hornibrook being out and Iowa because Frentz kept Fant on the pine. Twitterverse is not in full force calling the B1G West pathetic and predicting a championship blow out. Michigan and OSU fans are pissed because beating JNW won’t pad their resume.

I know I am having a great time reading the drivel and look forward to wearing the purple in Indy.
It has always been so, and, yes we do some of the "we lost, you didn't win", but it is palpable after we beat any team with a pulse. Part of it is the way we win, we don't win by 5 scores.

OTOH, I am the first to admit that Duke and Akron deserved to best us, and Mich and ND, while we had our chances, we lost to really good teams.

Even bettors, people who put down hard earned money, make these mistakes. Why in the world would we be 10 pt dogs?

It has always been so, and, yes we do some of the "we lost, you didn't win", but it is palpable after we beat any team with a pulse. Part of it is the way we win, we don't win by 5 scores.

OTOH, I am the first to admit that Duke and Akron deserved to best us, and Mich and ND, while we had our chances, we lost to really good teams.

Even bettors, people who put down hard earned money, make these mistakes. Why in the world would we be 10 pt dogs?

It's now 4 in a row. We need to make it 5 so there is a whole class of players from Iowa that has never known what it is like to beat NU.

Reactions: boonman1
It's now 4 in a row. We need to make it 5 so there is a whole class of players from Iowa that has never known what it is like to beat NU.

It's 3 in a row - 2018, 2017, 2016. Iowa won 40-10 in 2015, when they went 8-0 in conference play before losing to MSU in the B1G championship.

Sometimes being the only Northwestern fan in Iowa pays off. Tonight is one of those rare nights.

Wore an NU sweatshirt out tonight after watching the game with all Hawkeyes. 100% good sports from all Iowa fans I encountered.
Johnny-
As I’ve mentioned before, there is another rapid, but not quite as vocal, Cat fan down the street.
Was lonely, but rather enjoyable in IC yesterday.
Go Cats!

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
Since 1995

Cats are 13-9 vs Iowa
Cats are 7-3 vs Iowa at Home
Cats are 6-6 vs Iowa in Iowa City

Cats have three, three game win streaks vs Iowa. (1995, 1996, 1997), (2008, 2009, 2010) and (2016, 2017, 2018).

Cats have one, two game win streak (2005, 2006).

Iowa has two, three game win streaks vs NU (2000, 2001, 2002) and (2013, 2014, 2015).

Stats include Saturday’s game.

Since 1995

Cats are 13-9 vs Iowa
Cats are 7-3 vs Iowa at Home
Cats are 6-6 vs Iowa in Iowa City

Cats have three, three game win streaks vs Iowa. (1995, 1996, 1997), (2008, 2009, 2010) and (2016, 2017, 2018).

Cats have one, two game win streak (2005, 2006).

Iowa has two, three game win streaks vs NU (2000, 2001, 2002) and (2013, 2014, 2015).

Stats include Saturday’s game.
A lot of good stuff has happened since 95! What is up with Illinois? They haven’t been good since Lou Tepper

The best news is..., we're going to improve a lot too, especially on offense.

Hunter Johnson will take the reins, and Bowser will have an extra offseason of bulking up.

Kirtz and GHP coming in to bolster our WRs (I don't think either will redshirt if they're as talented as expected; their speed isn't teachable).

Could really be the first time our program has fully reloaded after a big run of success. We've never had a run of success that ran longer than 2 or 3 years without taking a step back after a year or two.

But now we're in the tail end of CT's 4 year era with a chance to add on a 2-3 year Hunter Johnson era. Really a special time for our program.

I'm banking on improvement at NU, and we're going to need it, especially if Brohm stays at Purdue for a while more. I think Frost will eventually right the ship at Nebraska, Purdue has some good talent and more coming in, and even the boat-rower has done some decent recruiting at Minny. I don't expect Wisky and Iowa to roll over and die, so we could be looking at a very balanced Western Division in the near future.

Reactions: drewjin
This was a great November B1G football game and toward the end I felt like I would still appreciate the game even if we lost because it was a classic defensive battle. Very even game with 2 INTs on our side, 2 fumbles on theirs, one big TD pass on both sides, one missed FG on both sides...Bowser’s running seemed to be the min difference.

An old-school Big Ten game in the cold. It's fun to see once in a while, especially if your side wins.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT