ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa loses its RB to Harbaugh in last minute today

Harbaugh whiffed on TE Chris Clark, though, and he was once a Michigan commit. UCLA got him, as well as RB Soso Jamabo from Texas, who picked the Bruins over the Longhorns.

Michigan is now at 11 commits, so Harbaugh still has some work to do.

Keith Washington, who was really interested in Northwestern at one point, flipped from California to Michigan, also at the last second.

Say whatever you want about Harbaugh, he's good at this and he'll only go up from here. We could see another 10 year war. As a college football fan, I'm looking forward to it. As a Northwestern fan, less so. But I guess we need to win our division first before we worry about such things.

I'll be stunned if Harbaugh stays at Michigan for 10 years. I bet he doesn't last half that long before returning to the NFL.

Actually Lou, I agree with you, although if it's plausible that he didn't hold out for the Oakland gig because he didn't think he could win there, that could keep him at Michigan a little longer (waiting for the right offer).

This is how I see Harbaugh's tenure playing out:

year one: bowl team, 7-5, maybe 8 wins
year two: 9-10 win team, solid bowl
year three: 9-10 win team, solid bowl
year four: 10-11 win team, B1G Champion contention, outside shot at playoff contention
year five: win B1G, maybe win the National Championship, maybe not
year six: last crack at winning it all, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, is later named the head coach of the Chicago Bears

Originally posted by Lou V:
I'll be stunned if Harbaugh stays at Michigan for 10 years. I bet he doesn't last half that long before returning to the NFL.
This. No chance he stays for 10 yrs. There will be rumors that he leaves for the NFL every year. I give him 5 yrs tops at Michigan.

Originally posted by rpm912:

Originally posted by Lou V:
This. No chance he stays for 10 yrs. There will be rumors that he leaves for the NFL every year. I give him 5 yrs tops at Michigan.
I suspect too much stock is being placed into what Harbaugh can do to get Michigan back to its glory days. My take is he will have just as tough a time keeping the program afloat as had the last two caretakers. Three years max for him.

Originally posted by chicagocatfan24:

year four: 10-11 win team, B1G Champion contention, outside shot at playoff contention
year six: last crack at winning it all, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, is later named the head coach of the Chicago Bears
The Bears??????
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by chicagocatfan24:

If that's his tenure in Ann Arbor, the folks in Maize and Blue will be sad to see him go, but he will be a legend forever. I think 9 wins by year two is a bit optimistic. That cupboard is pretty bare despite all the stars on Hoke's recruiting classes.

How much more money could he had?

Not sure if money is a driving force with him but he apparently wouldn't go to Michigan unless they paid him "Top dollar".

I would think his Michigan blood runs deeper than NFL blood unless he has a chance to coach at Chicago Bears or a place where he really wants to spend the rest of his days [Miami, beach, etc]

I think that Harbaugh did'nt take the oakland gig because he wasn't sure he would get enough control while Davis was alive. I think JH was Davis' first choice, but the give up in control was way beyond his comprehension and thus a non-starter.

Its never easy when the owner has a history of over-ruling coaches and GMs to make spectacular first round draft picks like Bey out of Maryland years ago. Almost as big of a bust and that linebacker out of OU or Mandarich, only Darius HB didn't have an all-american career in the college. lol

I don't see him being that successful in year one. He is coming in late and the instability of transition will be tough to over come. Your Bears reference rings true for me for some reason but that is a few years away.

After reviewing the UM 2015 schedule, I see them going 9-3 and 6-2 in the BIG. In my humble opinion, Harbaugh will be VERY successful in Ann Arbor. Within three years they will play in the BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP game. I am not a Harbaugh fan per say, but his track record combined with UM history indicates success in the future.

Disagree

The defense is good and on offense, a veteran line and a good stable of running backs will help. The question marks are QB and WR, but they have the guys, they need to coach them up. The idea that the cupboard is bare is mistaken.

I don't know about ten years,

but his mom and dad are moving to Ann Arbor and he hired his son. The Harbaughs have said they want stability for their kids and Ann Arbor is a good place to raise kids. I think he will be there longer than opponents are predicting. Money won't be an issue, winning a Super Bowl would be the factor in my mind that would entice him back some day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT