ADVERTISEMENT

Is it wrong of me to take such delight in Denver's loss today?

TheC

May 29, 2001
Its been very weird this season to find myself rooting so hard for the Denver Broncos. Today, however, I found myself completely rooting against them. It is clear that is a different team without Trevor at the helm. Hopefully he heals up and cements his status as the Denver QB for today and the future! Lynch looked completely puzzled all day and despite all the talk about his rocket arm, his passes were all ugly floaters or wobbly spirals. I didn't see anything that impressed me.

There were still clueless bloggers, radio talk show hosts/analysts and sports writers who were talking that the Broncos should stick w/ Lynch (even if Siemian had been healthy enough to go) after the Bucs game.

Lynch has the physical tools, but he's still way behind Siemian when it comes to the mental aspect (also needs to work on his footwork).

One reason why Wentz and Prescott have been playing above their rookie level of experience (aside from working behind good O-lines) is that both, like Siemian, are quick learners and are able to pick up things and process information quickly.

Peter King in last week's MMQB Mailbag wrote that Bradford was (at that quarter point of the season) was the league's MVP and a particular former 'Cat #3 on the list.

3. Trevor Siemian, QB, Denver. This is not a misprint.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/05/sam-bradford-minnesota-vikings-mvp-nfl-mailbag

Not sure if I would place Siemian that high, but many have taken Siemian's contributions to the Broncos 4-0 start too lightly; with Siemian under center, the Broncos O, while not lighting it up every week like they did against the Bengals, kept moving the chains (primarily by the passing game) - keeping the Broncos D fresh and winning the field position battle.

Says something when so-called analysts (really nothing more than annoying talking heads/blowhards) Steven A Smith, Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd and Cecil Lammey (local Broncos analyst who has been riding the start Lynch wagon) have repeatedly dismissed Siemian while the vast majority of analysts who played the game (including for the Broncos) liked what they have seen from Siemian.

The Broncos O-line is bad (and not that good even if they get back their starting RT) and Siemian made the O-line look better than it was; think the Broncos coaching staff underestimating how bad the O-line was played a part in Siemian getting injured last week.

On the play Siemian got injured, the receivers were going downfield so Siemian was holding on to the ball longer than the O-line could protect him in order for the play to develop.

Should have stuck with the quick passing game w/ the underneath stuff (or move the pocket, like what they did w/ Lynch).

Last edited:
Its been very weird this season to find myself rooting so hard for the Denver Broncos. Today, however, I found myself completely rooting against them. It is clear that is a different team without Trevor at the helm. Hopefully he heals up and cements his status as the Denver QB for today and the future! Lynch looked completely puzzled all day and despite all the talk about his rocket arm, his passes were all ugly floaters or wobbly spirals. I didn't see anything that impressed me.

At this point, like me, you are a Trevor/NU fan not a Bronco fan. Nothing to apologize for.

Reactions: rmndcat
The same line that gave Lynch zero time ( yes, he held it a bit and made rookie errors) was the same line that got whipped last week against Tampa Bay and knocked TS out of the game. If the line continues to be dominated and establish no running game threat, it's going to be hard for TS or any QB to have success.

Purple glasses shouldn't obscure the obvious here. The defense gave up passes they haven't conceded all season. Team loss there. San Diego is wretched so have to expect a return to some semblance of effectiveness.

^ Lynch doesn't have the pocket presence or quick release that Siemian has and at this stage, goes through the reads much slower.

The Denver O-line was actually worse during parts of the Cincy game when they were missing both Stephenson and Okung.

Against the Bucs, Siemian got sacked and hurt when he held on to the ball to attempt a down the field pass when the short and intermediate throws that were the mainstay for the 1st 2 games would have been better.

The Denver secondary played well enough, it was the LBers that got that lit up by the Falcon RBs on pass plays.

In addition, the Denver O did not help out the D like they did in the previous 4 games - moving the chains and keeping the opposing O off the field and the Denver D fresh.

Anyhow, seems like the indication is that T-$$ will start against the Chargers on Thurs; seems like a calculated risk in part on the Broncos also getting Stephenson back (as well as Green) and the game being a division game w/ the Broncos O needing to keep pace w/ the Chargers O.

Otherwise, might be prudent to sit Siemian until the next game which is a Mon night game rather than risk re-injury which would likely knock Siemian out for a good while.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
TS would have lost that game too. Plain and simple.
I don't think so. For all the reasons stated above... he would have gotten rid of the ball more quickly. It would have kept the D off the field more. He probably wouldn't have thrown that ill-advised interception into double coverage that led to a short Atlanta field. In the end, this was a one score game despite how horrible the offense under Lynch played.

From Peter King's MMQB today:

"It is a mark of the craziness of the National Football League that Denver Broncos fans are waking up this morning muttering: “Hope Trevor Siemian’s healthy enough to play quarterback Thursday night against the Chargers.” "

TS would have lost that game too. Plain and simple.

Based on what?

As stated before, wouldn't have thrown that INT which led to a short field and 7 pts for the Falcons (if TS had attempted that pass, would have looked off the safety) and in all likelihood would have been more accurate in the throw to Sanders in the EZ.

Just those 2 plays would have been an 11 pt turnaround.

In addition, (a healthy) Siemian would have sustained drives by hitting the short-intermediate throws.

Lynch shows potential, but is behind when it comes to the things a starting QB in the NFL needs to do - pocket presence/awareness, footwork, speed in going thru progressions, knowledge of full playbook, making adjustments at the line, etc.

Those qualities are what allows Siemian to rate highly in numerous categories despite his inexperience and playing behind a suspect O-line w/o a starting caliber TE (until Green gets back).

Here are the categories where Siemian rates among the Top 10 for NFL QBs:

4th Qtr QB rating - 1st
%First Downs/Attempt - 2nd
%1st Down/Pass Attempt, 3rd & 8+ - 3rd
%Passes Comp, 1st & 10 - 4th
% TDs/Attempts - 5th

% Passes Comp, Late & CIose - 7th
% Passes Comp, 4th+ Quarter - 8th
Pass Completion Percentage
- 9th
Quarterback Rating - 10th

Being objective is one place to start:

Lynch doesn't have the pocket presence or quick release that Siemian has and at this stage, goes through the reads much slower. He certainly looked like a rookie on Sunday.

The Denver O-line was actually worse during parts of the Cincy game when they were missing both Stephenson and Okung. The healthy starting line up has played well overall and were decisive in running the ball too. However, the line has had injury related glaring question marks the past two games and were dog trash against the Falcons. I don’t think Falcons blitzed but a few times keeping 7 in coverage and still consistently pressured the QB. With no credible run threat established they teed off on him.

Against the Bucs, Siemian got sacked and hurt when he held on to the ball to attempt a down the field pass when the short and intermediate throws that were the mainstay for the 1st 2 games would have been better. Throwing the ball down field is what it is, and it is part of the game.

The Denver secondary played well enough, it was the LBers that got that lit up by the Falcon RBs on pass plays. LBs have pass coverage responsibilities. Kudos to Falcons-OC on calling a great game. His coaching future continues to look bright, good genes.

In addition, the Denver O did not help out the D like they did in the previous 4 games - moving the chains and keeping the opposing O off the field and the Denver D fresh. True, the Denver D also didn’t help out the offense against Atlanta. The Denver D got worked over even when they were fresh on the first drive. Denver defense had scored 14 points in 4th against Colts and had given the O short fields twice in 1st qtr against Tampa.

It was a team loss as I said initially. It wasn’t a one score game, Atlanta owned that game- as garbage time is simply garbage time.

You are all worked up in disparaging Lynch, why? Lynch is the backup. TS was injured so the backup played- Occam’s razor. I too assume Siemian would have likely made some of those routine plays Lynch missed but the players were out executed and the coaches ran up against a staff with a better game plan on Sunday- it happens.

Good luck always finding pundits/analysts who confirm your bias though. Clearly, you have diligently been observing Lynch even deducing his specific footwork issues and how it can be improved. Then again, if the Cleveland Browns just had Siemian they’d be 5-0 because he’s a big boy NFL starting QB and the rest of the team are just a bunch of warm bodies lost without his guidance.

Lynch's footwork issues were readily apparent in the games I've watched.

You are all worked up in disparaging Lynch, why? Lynch is the backup. TS was injured so the backup played- Occam’s razor. I too assume Siemian would have likely made some of those routine plays Lynch missed but the players were out executed and the coaches ran up against a staff with a better game plan on Sunday- it happens.

Good luck always finding pundits/analysts who confirm your bias though. Clearly, you have diligently been observing Lynch even deducing his specific footwork issues and how it can be improved. Then again, if the Cleveland Browns just had Siemian they’d be 5-0 because he’s a big boy NFL starting QB and the rest of the team are just a bunch of warm bodies lost without his guidance.
Not sure where you are coming from, but this is a Northwestern board. Therefore, its safe to say that almost none of us are actual Denver Broncos fans, but rather we're Trevor Siemian fans. That said, there is probably a little insecurity when it comes to TS's claim on the QB spot in Denver, at least speaking for myself. While Trevor had his success at NU, I don't think many of us felt like he was a sure-fire future NFL star. As NU is not one of the elite college football programs, to have a guy surprise us all and lay claim to one of the more prestigious positions in the league is HUUUUGE for us. The insecurity comes in, at least again for me, because of the rather vocal group of Bronco fans who automatically assume that their first round draft choice QB should be better and therefore the QB of the future (and maybe the present). Those of us who are NU fans have watched what Trevor accomplished in three and a half games and are super excited at how solid and real his success looks. Yet, we know there will be this clamor in the background for Lynch to someday take over. Well... based on what I've seen, I don't think Lynch will ever be the starter in Denver unless Trevor is hurt, nor should he be. I was not impressed with his reads, his footwork, his decisions or even his so-called super arm strength. None of his throws appeared to zip through the air. They were all wobbly. His touch passes floated way too much. I didn't see why some Denver fans think he will eventually pass Trevor at all. He can run faster maybe. That's it so far.

Am I biased? Of course. Its a game. I can be as biased as I want.

I wonder what Vandy fans felt about the Bears all these years.

Being objective is one place to start:

Totally objective upon analysis of both QBs; of course I want TS to do well, but I have seen the same things that Kubiak and the rest of the Broncos coaching staff have seen.

Just b/c a player has donned the purple doesn't mean that I look at their play w/ purple-tinted glasses.

For instance, I was critical of Trai Essex's play with the Steelers (also thought they took him too high).

The Denver O-line was actually worse during parts of the Cincy game when they were missing both Stephenson and Okung. The healthy starting line up has played well overall and were decisive in running the ball too. However, the line has had injury related glaring question marks the past two games and were dog trash against the Falcons. I don’t think Falcons blitzed but a few times keeping 7 in coverage and still consistently pressured the QB. With no credible run threat established they teed off on him.

You think there was a credible run threat in the Cincy game?

Against the Bengals, the Broncos rushed for a grand total of 52 yds (including 5 from Siemian).

Against the Falcons, rushed for 84 yds, including 18 from Lynch.

Siemian was under a lot of pressure in the Cincy game, but he did a good job of moving up in the pocket to evade the pass rush. Siemian also did a good job of changing the protection at the LoS.

Both of those things, Lynch still needs a good bit of work (Siemian can also continue to improve in those areas, but he's a good bit ahead of Lynch); the Broncos O also used too much time in the huddle - another area where Lynch is just not up to speed.

Against the Bucs, Siemian got sacked and hurt when he held on to the ball to attempt a down the field pass when the short and intermediate throws that were the mainstay for the 1st 2 games would have been better. Throwing the ball down field is what it is, and it is part of the game.

Yes - but not wise to do that when the protection won't stand up for the play to develop. Don't know if that was simply Kubiak's call to go deep or if Siemian just opted to wait for that play to develop, but he would have been much better off to dump it or throw it away (which is what Brady does all the time, keeping himself pretty much healthy for most of his career).

The Denver secondary played well enough, it was the LBers that got that lit up by the Falcon RBs on pass plays. LBs have pass coverage responsibilities. Kudos to Falcons-OC on calling a great game. His coaching future continues to look bright, good genes.

Yes, but there aren't that many LBers who have the speed to keep up w/ Coleman - who runs a sub 4.4 40.

To prevent a mismatch, teams will often play a safety at the LB position (think the Falcons were doing that on their end).

In addition, the Denver O did not help out the D like they did in the previous 4 games - moving the chains and keeping the opposing O off the field and the Denver D fresh. True, the Denver D also didn’t help out the offense against Atlanta. The Denver D got worked over even when they were fresh on the first drive. Denver defense had scored 14 points in 4th against Colts and had given the O short fields twice in 1st qtr against Tampa.

OK - did you not watch the Bengals game?

Cincy scored a TD against the Broncos D on their very 1st posession, gashing the Broncos D w/ a 50 yd run, and Cincy had the lead going into the 4th Q.

As for the game against the Colts, the Denver D returning 2 TOs for TDs is exactly why the Broncos O only had the ball 3 times in the 2nd half; if the Broncos D hadn't scored, you don't think the O wouldn't have put up more points?

I'm not disparaging Lynch; simply stating the facts.

Think Lynch has great physical tools and a lot of potential.

The ? is whether he will develop all those other aspects of QB play which is required in the NFL

Siemian also needs to keep working on those things, but he is a good bit ahead of Lynch, which is understandable as Siemian has 1 year under his belt.

Like I had stated, what we saw from Lynch wasn't surprising as the best case scenario for the Broncos was for Lynch to sit, learn and improve.

All the stuff I had listed is the stuff that Kubiak and Dennison have stated that Lynch needs to work on - getting a firmer grasp of the playbook, going thru his reads quicker, footwork, pocket awareness, etc.

LOL!!!

So are you going to say that Kubes and Dennison are biased?

I'm not saying anything that they haven't stated all along.

And I'm not making any claim as to what the future may portend for Siemian or Lynch in the NFL.

It's way to early to get any sort of accurate reading, but it's clear that Siemian is ahead of Lynch when it comes to the things that an NFL QB needs to be able to do at this juncture.

I also don't know which QB will end up having the better NFL career - Lynch has the size and better physical tools, but Siemian has the better FB IQ and is able to process info. more quickly..

As for the Browns, McKnown and the rookie Kessler have put up decent enough #s - enough to give the Browns a chance to win.

Not like things have been that great for QBs w/ the situation at the Broncos O-line and the only real viable TE (Green) being out.

Place Siemian or Lynch behind the Cowboys O-line with Zeke gashing opposing defenses and both will likely do a good bit better; but Siemian will still do better than Lynch b/c he is ahead when it comes to the fundamentals.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT