ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any positive sentiment at all for old Ryan/Dyche?

Like many have said, it’s time to move on and build a better stadium since Ryan Field is a dump, but I grew up going to games there (went to my first game when I was three years old) and saw a lot of great games there. So there’s no doubt there’s some positive sentiment and memories at the old place.

But it’s kind of like listening to music you liked when you were 14. You hear it now and you go “Man, this is actually pretty terrible”, but you remember enjoying it and can still get some joy from it based on nostalgia alone.

There’s nothing wrong with two things being true. Yes, it’s a dump that desperately needs to be replaced…but it also provided all of us with some great memories.

My favorite memory of Dyche Stadium is that students could leave the football game and re-enter after a refreshing halftime back at a continual tailgate. Depending on the score. It was called freedom of choice.

And watching the goalposts get tossed over the top of the east grandstand.

And the day the San Diego chicken and a few cheerleaders were "passed up" over the student section. Nobody sued.

Last edited:
My favorite memory of Dyche Stadium is that students could leave the football game and re-enter after a refreshing halftime back at a continual tailgate. Depending on the score. It was called freedom of choice.

And watching the goalposts get tossed over the top of the west grandstand.

And the day the San Diego chicken and a few cheerleaders were "passed up" over the student section. Nobody sued.
Wasn’t it the East Grandstand?

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
If the council doesn’t approve Rezoning for concerts/other use, is there any chance NU goes more of the rehab route? Or is the stadium being completely rebuilt regardless? I’m sure the vote last night has them worried

If the council doesn’t approve Rezoning for concerts/other use, is there any chance NU goes more of the rehab route? Or is the stadium being completely rebuilt regardless? I’m sure the vote last night has them worried
Given our low attendance I always wondered why we couldn't do an entire teardown/rebuild of east stands and limit fans to west stands for a year (or two)

Reactions: drewjin
I love the Gothic look of Ryan/Dyche, the graceful curve of the West stands and the towers. I sit in “Old Man” seats just under the upper deck overhang so I’m dry even if it’s pouring rain. The sight lines are great and the cost is cheap. The new stadium will be shiny and new, but from the fan surveys it will be pitched toward those seeking an “experience” rather than watching a game, an elite crowd at elite prices. I’ve had season tickets since the ‘90s but at the projected prices at the new place you may include me out. And no, I’m not a fan of the new Welsh-Ryan and it’s permanently empty Wilson Club seats either.

As opposed to the raucous crowds that packed the purple seats in the old W-R?
In the old W-R the purple seats weren't always empty, If the fat cats aren't going to go to the games, why are they buying tickets?

In the old W-R the purple seats weren't always empty, If the fat cats aren't going to go to the games, why are they buying tickets?
Towards the end of last season, those Wilson Club seats were pretty full. It will be interesting to see what they look like this year.

Reactions: drewjin

Maybe we have different definitions of "empty," but the "why do people buy purple seat/Wilson Club tickets and then never go" conversation has been going on for at least as long as I've been a fan, which is long before the renovation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT