ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Field: Best and Worst memories

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Assuming (?) this week will be the final game at the old stadium, it seems fitting that we send it off with some reminiscences. My question is simple: What are your fondest, and worst, memories at Ryan Field? In-person experiences only. (Update: I now see there was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but I missed it)…

For me, the best is easy. Ohio State, 2004. I was an undergrad. Stormed the field. Magic.

Wisconsin 2009 gets an honorable mention. And, weirdly, Syracuse 2013. Why? Gorgeous evening game, large crowd, 95% purple. Coming off a thriller at Cal and a 10-win season. Easy, satisfying win, with nothing but optimism before the season went into a tailspin. I just remember it feeling very satisfying.

Worst memory? Gah, there are quite a few. Quite a few blowouts with half the place filled with visiting fans. 2006 blown lead on homecoming a true disaster. There was a night game against Purdue at some point that I remember being important. We lost and they shot off planned postgame fireworks, adding insult to injury. And maybe this is recency bias, but last season’s SIU loss was a low point.

Here’s to one more win at the place that I deeply love and somewhat hate — and to many more victories and a better home field advantage at the new, gleaming RF (fingers crossed)…

Last edited:
1995 Wisconsin. As a student, and WI native, I had many friends who came from Madison for the game and had visitor tickets in the East stands. I told them I’d meet them on the 50 yard line after the game. Sure enough, after 35-0 they stormed onto the field with everyone else and met me there!

2000 Michigan shootout, one of the landmark games of college football history. It was an afternoon game but finished in the dark under the lights.

I choose not to relive a “worst” experience.

Great, and certainly timely, topic.

OK, it was Dyche Stadium prior to 1997 but I'll preface my response with two memories that stand out from that pre-Ryan Field era. The first was watching a game as a student and what stood out was my date having brought a terrific lunch to share. My other stand out memory was returning for my 10 year class reunion which just happened to be the game that broke the infamous losing streak.

One of my earliest and best memories at the newly renovated and now named Ryan Field was the 1997 homecoming game against MSU and which was in fact the first homecoming game to be played at Ryan Field. The exciting conclusion to that game was the Anwahn Jones last-second blocked kick that gave the Cats a 19-17 win.

Fittingly, at that first Ryan Field homecoming game the National Anthem was sung by Miss America, Northwestern's own Kate Shindle. The night before she was Grand Marshall of the homecoming parade following in the footsteps of Gary Marshall who had been the Grand Marshall for the last Dyche Stadium homecoming the prior year. (I still have photos of Coach Gary Barnett and Miss America together as they hosted a Pep Rally on North Campus that followed the parade.)

Another best memory was getting to attend with one of my NU Alum sons the November 4, 2000 54-51 Michigan Game and following him as the students stormed the field. At the time it was heralded as an Instant Classic as a sequel to the week prior's Victory Right Instant Classic which we had also been able to attend together at the Metrodome. I wonder if that might have been the only time in college football for one team to have two Instant Classics in succession. In more recent years the 54-51 Michigan game has been designated as, "The Game that Changed College Football."

Among many other best memories at Ryan Field was capturing for posterity, Queiro's one-handed grab at the 2016 Indiana game.

All of the above said, meeting up with friends and Board Member comrades, including those who have passed on such as FarEast Wildcat, Smithee, and FloridAlum, at the Ryan Field tailgates and in the stands will always be special "Best Memories."

Credit to GoYouPurple of HailtoPurple.com for providing the captions to accompany my photos of that afore mentioned 2016 Indiana game best memory:

indy2016_5929.jpg

The 2016 Indiana game provided fans with one of the greatest plays in Northwestern history, a play that ranks with the 2000 Victory Right hail Mary and the 2001 Victory Right II play. Kyle Queiro, wearing a cast on his left hand, made one of the most astounding interceptions ever. The play would go on to be the #1 feature on ESPN's SportsCenter show that night. In this photo by Alaskanwildcat, Queiro eyes the Hoosier pass...​

indy2016_5930.jpg

...And here is Queiro's stunning one-handed catch, captured in an instant of Wildcat glory.

Last edited:
Great, and certainly timely, topic.

OK, it was Dyche Stadium prior to 1997 but I'll preface my response with two memories that stand out from that pre-Ryan Field era. The first was watching a game as a student and what stood out was my date having brought a terrific lunch to share. My other stand out memory was returning for my 10 year class reunion which just happened to be the game that broke the infamous losing streak.

One of my earliest and best memories at the newly renovated and now named Ryan Field was the 1997 homecoming game against MSU and which was in fact the first homecoming game to be played at Ryan Field. The exciting conclusion to that game was the Anwahn Jones last-second blocked kick that gave the Cats a 19-17 win.

Fittingly, at that first Ryan Field homecoming game the National Anthem was sung by Miss America, Northwestern's own Kate Shindle. The night before she was Grand Marshall of the homecoming parade following in the footsteps of Gary Marshall who had been the Grand Marshall for the last Dyche Stadium homecoming the prior year. (I still have photos of Coach Gary Barnett and Miss America together as they hosted a Pep Rally on North Campus that followed the parade.)

Another best memory was getting to attend with one of my NU Alum sons the November 4, 2000 54-51 Michigan Game and following him as the students stormed the field. At the time it was heralded as an Instant Classic as a sequel to the week prior's Victory Right Instant Classic which we had also been able to attend together at the Metrodome. I wonder if that might have been the only time in college football for one team to have two Instant Classics in succession. In more recent years the 54-51 Michigan game has been designated as, "The Game that Changed College Football."

Among many other best memories at Ryan Field was capturing for posterity, Queiro's one-handed grab at the 2016 Indiana game.

All of the above said, meeting up with friends and Board Member comrades, including those who have passed on such as FarEast Wildcat, Smithee, and FloridAlum, at the Ryan Field tailgates and in the stands will always be special "Best Memories."

Credit to GoYouPurple of HailtoPurple.com for providing the captions to accompany my photos of that afore mentioned 2016 Indiana game best memory:

indy2016_5929.jpg

The 2016 Indiana game provided fans with one of the greatest plays in Northwestern history, a play that ranks with the 2000 Victory Right hail Mary and the 2001 Victory Right II play. Kyle Queiro, wearing a cast on his left hand, made one of the most astounding interceptions ever. The play would go on to be the #1 feature on ESPN's SportsCenter show that night. In this photo by Alaskanwildcat, Queiro eyes the Hoosier pass...​

indy2016_5930.jpg

...And here is Queiro's stunning one-handed catch, captured in an instant of Wildcat glory.
I had my first and only sideline pass for that game and Queiro caught it right in front of me

Also vs. State Penn in 1995. 2:30pm kickoff and Dyche (not Ryan yet) was at capacity. It was freezing, but the Purple were ROCKIN that old stadium. The Cats 21-10 victory was the icing on my belated birthday cake. A truly quintessential and memorable college football experience. And I still have my ticket stub from that day.

Worst memory? Not a one.

Best (like others, but slightly more specific): Penn State ‘95, late in the game when the tiny flakes of snow started to fall, and it was clear that Northwestern had become a legitimate football power. That was wonderful.

Worst: Miami of Ohio ‘95.

Assuming (?) this week will be the final game at the old stadium, it seems fitting that we send it off with some reminiscences. My question is simple: What are your fondest, and worst, memories at Ryan Field? In-person experiences only. (Update: I now see there was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, but I missed it)…

For me, the best is easy. Ohio State, 2004. I was an undergrad. Stormed the field. Magic.

Wisconsin 2009 gets an honorable mention. And, weirdly, Syracuse 2013. Why? Gorgeous evening game, large crowd, 95% purple. Coming off a thriller at Cal and a 10-win season. Easy, satisfying win, with nothing but optimism before the season went into a tailspin. I just remember it feeling very satisfying.

Worst memory? Gah, there are quite a few. Quite a few blowouts with half the place filled with visiting fans. 2006 blown lead on homecoming a true disaster. There was a night game against Purdue at some point that I remember being important. We lost and they shot off planned postgame fireworks, adding insult to injury. And maybe this is recency bias, but last season’s SIU loss was a low point.

Here’s to one more win at the place that I deeply love and somewhat hate — and to many more victories and a better home field advantage at the new, gleaming RF (fingers crossed)…
I have several. Mich 54-51 in 2000 was my first or second date with Therese has to be up there. PSU in 1995. Wis 95. Mich 1996 when we had to kick the FG to win two or three times. Took a friend I had not seen in years after he had had a follow up Drs visit after brain cancer surgery. 2004 OSU when I got to tell some OSU fans in the Goose Island beer line how this was just to make them feel so bad after we beat them (and then we did) and a couple games back in 1970. There are more of course but these are a few that stand out.

One of worst memories was against MSU when they came back from way behind. I believe there was a PSU game like that as well. A game against Mich where they should not have been allowed to kick the FG to beat us. Game against OSU when Colter made the FD but we were not given it. But I try not to think of those too much

Best (like others, but slightly more specific): Penn State ‘95, late in the game when the tiny flakes of snow started to fall, and it was clear that Northwestern had become a legitimate football power. That was wonderful.

Worst: Miami of Ohio ‘95.
Miami of Ohio 1995 was the only home game I did not make that year, Was in traffic court. I actually felt that loss helped solidify the team that year

1995 Wisconsin. As a student, and WI native, I had many friends who came from Madison for the game and had visitor tickets in the East stands. I told them I’d meet them on the 50 yard line after the game. Sure enough, after 35-0 they stormed onto the field with everyone else and met me there!

2000 Michigan shootout, one of the landmark games of college football history. It was an afternoon game but finished in the dark under the lights.

I choose not to relive a “worst” experience.
Best experience has to be 54-51 Cats over Michigan. Worst experience do not remember the game or the year NU put in new benches. Unfortunately they were made of fiberglass and we got fiberglass splinters all over out bottoms. Maybe someone can remember. It was the first game of the year.

I wish I could have been at that Michigan game in 2000, but it was before my time.

Hoping the guys can dig deep and beat Purdue … to send the old building off on a winning note & clinch bowl eligibility (and possibly Braun being made permanent, if it doesn’t happen sooner, which I’ve heard could be a possibility)…

indy2016_5929.jpg

indy2016_5930.jpg

I would be remiss if I didn't also include in that listing FlagontheField even though it was only on one occasion that we met at Ryan Field.

I also fondly remember her kind response just before she passed away to a post I had made regarding a Christmas in Honolulu without a Christmas Tree due to the volcanic eruption that resulted in multiple delayed flights from Alaska. We finally got a flight out on Christmas Eve and there wasn't a Christmas Tree to be had in Waikiki. (In her comments she mentioned how she really liked the photo I had included of our make-shift Christmas tree which consisted of a hotel room lampshade covered with Christmas bows.)

IMG_8380_(1).jpg

Last edited:
Also vs. State Penn in 1995. 2:30pm kickoff and Dyche (not Ryan yet) was at capacity. It was freezing, but the Purple were ROCKIN that old stadium. The Cats 21-10 victory was the icing on my belated birthday cake. A truly quintessential and memorable college football experience. And I still have my ticket stub from that day.

Worst memory? Not a one.
PSU game in 95 was when the world figured out that we had arrived. National broadcast with the A team when that was a real thing. The one comment from an analyst saying Who are these guys and naming the OL. Sat in upper deck. Place was full and it was special

I would be remiss if I didn't also include in that listing FlagontheField even though it was only on one occasion that we met at Ryan Field.

I also fondly remember her kind response just before she passed away to a post I had made regarding a Christmas in Honolulu without a Christmas Tree due to the volcanic eruption that resulted in multiple delayed flights from Alaska. We finally got a flight out on Christmas Eve and there wasn't a Christmas Tree to be had in Waikiki. (In her comments she mentioned how she really liked the photo I had included of our make-shift Christmas tree which consisted of a hotel room lampshade covered with Christmas bows.)

IMG_8380_(1).jpg
Great photo, Alaska!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Best memory Penn State 1995.
Worst memory New Hampshire 2006 first home game after Randy Walkers passing.
Best memory: 1958 vs Michigan. Halftime score: NU: 43, Michigan 0. Final score was 55-24. A never-never land for a young Cats fan who thought the Cats could never do better than a .500 season.

Worst: 2018, Akron, down 21-0 at one point, comes back to humiliate the Cats, 39-34. Just dreadful.

Best memory: The 54-51 win over Michigan

Best memories: 4 years of marching in NUMB, during Peay's last year and Barnett's first three years. We had a blast and I could see how the team was improving even though we were still stuck around 3 wins a year.

Worst memory: A rain-soaked 12-6 loss to Michigan in 1998 might rank up there, just due to the weather. Or the 2022 loss to OSU where maximum Fitzball was trying nothing more than to shorten the game... which made me realize we just weren't even competitive anymore. Some home shutout losses rank up there too.

Reactions: drewjin
My top 10:

1. 1995 Penn State. Celebrating on the field realizing that the Cats were THAT good.
2. 2000 Michigan. The most exciting college football game I've ever seen.
3. 2004 Ohio State. Cats finally beat the Buckeyes and sent those knuckleheads back to Columbus.
4. 1995 Iowa. Frigid day. Sold out. Last home game of that magical year.
5. 1996 Michigan. 17-16. Waz boots the winning field goal 2x.
6. 1995 Wisconsin. Cats whooped the Badgers.
7. 1997 Michigan State. Cats looked like they had blown that game, then Anwawn Jones blocks the FG.
8. 2018 Illinois. Got into the press box to cover the Chad Hanaoka story for the Hawaii paper. Met the screamer from the basketball games.
9. 2015 Stanford. Cats manhandled Stanford. Then it turns out C. McCafferty is a special talent. This game is more of an accomplishment in the rearview mirror.
10. 1985 NIU. First NU game ever. I could not believe how sad the NU game experience was. But the Cats won.

Best memory for me was the 2018 Holiday Bowl vs Utah. I attended almost every event I could. The weather (and stadium) sucked but it was a dream come true to have the Cats come to San Diego after living here for over 40 years.

A close 2nd would be the 2000 game with Michigan which is an instant classic. It was the inauguration of the spread offense that allowed us to compete against UM and we wore down their defense. We had an earlier win against Michigan where we won by a late fg.

Worst memory- I also attended the 1998 Michigan game that sucked was a coldand drizzling night at Ryan Field. I remember my brother taking us to buy rain gear before the game and the field conditions were poor. The final score was 12-6 with many missed fg’s. Truly a miserable game.

Also a good memory was the 2006 game in Reno which we lost 31-21 to Nevada. The game sucked for us but I came across a tailgate bbq hosted by Coach Randy’s brother that included families of other coaches as well. It turned out Randy’s brother was principal at my high school years after I had moved to San Diego. We had a long conversation about my Ohio hometown and the social and economic decline of the community. I also experienced the beginning of the dark ages under Strotz in the mid-seventies when Alex Agase left for Purdue and Pont came in as his replacement. I think I tuned out of Wildcat football until GB became hc and our tie with Stanford piqued my interest again in the program.

Too many good memories to count, but I posted this a few years ago from my undergrad days:

Tearing down the goalposts in 1990 and 1991. I somehow got a flag from the top of a goal post. I'm not that tall, and when the post was coming down, you could see a group of us angling to get the flag as it was coming. I somehow outjumped the rest of the group and pulled it out cleanly. A friend of mine went for the other flag and ended up bloodied and with only a piece of the flag. Another image ingrained in memory, even though I can't remember which game: tearing down the goalposts in the north end zone proudly doing whatever, and then looking south and seeing those posts on the way down too.

That image of the swaying goalposts 100 yards away is something I'll never forget. Sure, I can mention so many games, but to me, the image of the swaying goal posts is my very favorite memory of the stadium.

Also: one time I started on my own screaming "GO U!" and others joined in with an enthusiastic "NU" and it seemed like hundreds were responding to me and I was the only one screaming "GO U!" for like a solid 30 seconds. The Cats scored on the next play and the number of back pats and high fives I got after that (like I somehow was responsible for the TD) was incredible.

Considering the occasion, a best memory for me was sitting in a great STH section in the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s where some of the ticket holders had been undergrads in the ‘30’s and who remembered great players and games from the Pappy Waldorf era. They were never afraid to educate us young guys (in our early ‘40’s) about how narrow our knowledge of Wildcat history was. It was great being part of the chain of tradition that links from then to the start of the Braun era. I will miss being there Saturday, but really treasure the Saturday afternoons I spent there as part of the Wildcat family.

4. 1995 Iowa. Frigid day. Sold out. Last home game of that magical year.

This one for me. Probably the coldest temperature for any game I have ever attended. I was in the end zone seats and Ismaeli scoring that TD is an amazing memory moment for me.

Reactions: ubercat
This one for me. Probably the coldest temperature for any game I have ever attended. I was in the end zone seats and Ismaeli scoring that TD is an amazing memory moment for me.
Ditto. I'm still trying to warm up from that one.

Just watched the highlights of that game, and it reminded me that Musso was NU's greatest punt returner ever. "Courage and confidence."

Ditto. I'm still trying to warm up from that one.

Just watched the highlights of that game, and it reminded me that Musso was NU's greatest punt returner ever. "Courage and confidence."
Lee Gissendaner was a damn good punt returner/receiver as well...

Reactions: SmellyCat
Best:

* First game I attended in person was Nov. 2003 - we beat Penn State and became bowl eligible in a low-scoring snoozer; that was the trip I took to decide whether or not to move to Chicago (and I did, to do master's at NU, but I was a fan long before that, I swear). It snowed like two inches during the game.

* Ohio State 2004, obviously. At the end of that game me and my two friends meandered into the arena and stumbled upon a high-end boosters event with an open bar that didn't think twice about serving us even though everyone else was fairly well dressed and we were in our stadium gear.

* Wisconsin 2005...I wasn't actually at this one...literally the only home game I've missed since 2004, which was due to a wedding. It was fun because I kept reloading the score on my flip phone and every time I did, the score had gone up. I think I was paying for data per meg at that point but I couldn't stop reloading.

* Iowa 2005...last game of the season, raining and gross...we were down 27-14 in the final minutes and came back to win 28-27.

* Wisconsin 2009...when the game was over I went home to watch the broadcast, and the sideline reporter commented on something we noticed from the stands - in the waning moments of the game our players and sideline were happy and playing loose/Wisco players exact opposite - they were up but already looked like they had lost the game. I remember thinking very, very highly of Fitz for that, the mark of a good coach.

Worst:

* Sparty 2006...you remember this one. Largest comeback in NCAA history.

* Duke 2007...the first and last time I ever heard the term "take points off the board." Also the day I realized Ted Roof was born and exists to torment Northwestern fans. Duke didn't win another game that season and had we not lost that one, Duke would have claimed the longest losing streak title from us.

* SIU 2008...torrential downpour during this one, fewest actual fans I've ever seen at Ryan Field for a game. I had a rain suit but the seam split in my pants and my ass was soaked.

* Sparty 2013...last game of a bad season, it was bitter cold and the snot was freezing in my nose as we sat in the stands watching Trevor throw interceptions. That was the first game I ever left before it was over...just felt like the team had checked out.

First: beating Wyoming my freshman year, last win before the Streak

Best: Wisconsin homecoming blowout, 1995. The band director greeted the Numbalums that morning with "We're gonna make history today, and you're gonna be a part of it." :)

Runners-up: NIU 1982 (streak ending), Michigan 2000, Michigan 1996, Indiana 1995, Iowa 1995, Illinois 1991, Vanderbilt 2012

Worst: MSU 1981 (the "Stop State at 28" game)

Runners-up: every other game of 1981 (best forgotten), the Drowned Bowl against Michigan 1998

I wish I had been on-site for Penn State 1995 and Ohio State 2004, but I watched them on TV. :-(

I only got a limited subset of in-person experiences.

My best experience was upsetting Boston College in 1993. I just remember a tight game with Len Williams heroics and NU clinching the game with BC missing a potential game-winning field goal in the waning minutes of the game.

My worst in-person experience, or more accurately, most heartbreaking experience was in 1994: I went downtown to take the GRE at UIC on a Saturday morning. After the test, I took the el train back up to Evanston and made my way to Dyche stadium in the middle of half-time. I was able to track down my group. I along with another lady in the my group were both Ohio natives who were eager to see NU beat Ohio State to have something to brag about back to friends back home. Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted with a NU holding a surprise 9-0 lead over a Top 20 Ohio State team that was a defending co-Big Ten Champion. Unfortunately, Ohio State edged its may back and took a 17-9 lead late into the 4th quarter. With a handful of minutes left in the game, future Heisman trophy winner Eddie George fumbled the bowl and NU was able to drive down to get a touchdown, but failed a 2-point conversation to tie the game and Ohio State was able to slip out with a victory. Looking back, this was one of those 1994 games that was a harbinger of better things to come in 1995, but it was still a heartbreaking.

Lee Gissendaner was a damn good punt returner/receiver as well...
I'll add Venric Mark and, to a lesser extent, Steve Tasker. I was on the edge of my seat every time they touched the ball. 2012 Venric was the most exciting Cats player I've ever seen. I still wear a #5 jersey

Considering the occasion, a best memory for me was sitting in a great STH section in the late ‘80’s and early ‘90’s where some of the ticket holders had been undergrads in the ‘30’s and who remembered great players and games from the Pappy Waldorf era. They were never afraid to educate us young guys (in our early ‘40’s) about how narrow our knowledge of Wildcat history was. It was great being part of the chain of tradition that links from then to the start of the Braun era. I will miss being there Saturday, but really treasure the Saturday afternoons I spent there as part of the Wildcat family.
Could not have said it anywhere near as well!

Best: Sitting behind the Wildcat sculpture near the visitor locker room walkway for the 54-51 UM win. Couldn't talk after that one. My best friend and fellow NU grad yelled at Anthony Thomas as he walked down the "tunnel". He looked up with a forlorn look. I told my friend to take it easy on him. A short time later, I had a picture taken with Anthony at Bears camp. I Photoshopped "I know where you live." onto it and sent it to my friend for Christmas.

Worst: Miami of Ohio 1995 - 30-28: Walked into Ryan Field without being asked for a ticket (things were about to change). Nearly passed out with my buddy in what is now the student section with no one around us. We may have been slightly hung over. After the game, a cameraman came over to ask if we would want to do anything to be on camera. We asked him to please go away.

Best. 54-51. That was truly the high point in my time watching NU.

Worst. My first game during new student week. Duke 44, Cats 10.

1982 home game against Minnesota was my first ever college football game and my first football game of any kind that I had seen in person. I’d literally moved to the States two weeks earlier from Italy. My dad took me as a way to introduce me to the game. NU, led by Sandy Schwab, pulled the upset and won its 2nd game of the season. Fans rushed the field and tore down the goal posts. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT