ADVERTISEMENT

So I googled

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I gooled Northwestern Lakefront facility play sports and found this on reddit.

I remember watching MSU play Northwestern during the B1G soccer tournament a few years ago. The soccer field was on the lake and pretty much anytime someone tried to kick the ball downfield the wind carried. Literally the goalie couldn't clear the ball if they were kicking into the wind, it would hang up and come back to land ten yards in front of them.

I can only imagine punters and kickers trying to do anything playing next to the lake if it's a relatively windy day.

I remember watching MSU play Northwestern during the B1G soccer tournament a few years ago. The soccer field was on the lake and pretty much anytime someone tried to kick the ball downfield the wind carried. Literally the goalie couldn't clear the ball if they were kicking into the wind, it would hang up and come back to land ten yards in front of them.

I can only imagine punters and kickers trying to do anything playing next to the lake if it's a relatively windy day.
Cool

Dartmouth v Princeton 1950 was played during a hurricane. Videos of kicks were entertaining. Winds at kickoff were 109 mph

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack

Vintage B1G West sicko football

Considering the team practices there regularly, I imagine the football folks have an idea of the typical and range of winds along the lake and how that could impact play. Might even give us a bit of additional home field advantage at the margin! Adding the temporary stands in could make a difference in blocking the wind a bit... though depending on the structure it could adjust in a different way (e.g. Memorial Stadium down in Champaign I feel like that stadium tends to create a wind tunnel whenever we are down there.

Also, Ryan Field during conference season typically has 1-2 games with high winds or other weather conditions that have a meaningful impact on play. And these would likely be earlier in the season, mostly in September on the nicer side of Midwest fall weather. I'm not saying I'm confident this lakefront facility will come together, but windy weather isn't a reason not to do this.

Isn't Soldier Field basically on the lake?

Reactions: rmndcat
It blocks part of it but it swirls like crazy. Really weird wind impact.
Exactly--and how much different is it 5 blocks from the lake at Ryan? None-the-less I look forward to footballs ending up in the lake. Can Michigan match that kind of excitement? And how will the refs rule to favor Michigan? Lake the Balls.

Exactly--and how much different is it 5 blocks from the lake at Ryan? None-the-less I look forward to footballs ending up in the lake. Can Michigan match that kind of excitement? And how will the refs rule to favor Michigan? Lake the Balls.
One stroke penalty.

Will this be like McCovey Cove in San Francisco? Kayakers battling to retrieve errant punts? I'd love it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT