ADVERTISEMENT

Temporary Facility / Stands at Lakeside Field

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
I feel like it must have already been discussed here because it was alluded to in the PBC thread. But just linking the Darren Rovell tweet in case as I don't see a thread discussing this.

Yes, the logistics and parking would be a nightmare. No, I don't have any confidence whatsoever in Gragg's ability to pull this off effectively.

But... re logistics: you open up some marginal on-campus parking, have the majority of folks park at Ryan Field (aim to keep one of E or W lots clear during that period of construction), do reverse shuttles from Ryan Field back to campus, have most people get off in front of Patten and walk from there. You'd have to set up some preferential parking on campus for handicapped or older folks. And I realize that one road in and out on Lincoln is going to be a mess as the game approaches. But... is that really worse than having everyone drive >1 hour down to Bridgeport to play in a soccer stadium that is on the SW side of Chicago?? The 15-20k capacity in the temporary facility will make it somewhat more manageable. And heck - we should actually have a home field advantage at that capacity? Plus, the views and notoriety it would gain would turn this into something of a positive out of what is a really crappy situation, and give the players something to be excited about.

Lots of hurdles and challenges make me very skeptical this will actually ever get done (particularly with Ggarg at the helm), but this is the first thing I've seen that actually gives me some hope that next season won't be a disaster. Good creative thinking by someone in the AD. Let's brainstorm and troubleshoot and try to make it work!

(PS - keep the one Wrigley game for OSU, and then debatable what you do for Wisconsin and IL. I'd love to host Wisconsin at this temporary facility and block out some of the visiting Bucky fans personally, particularly if Soldier is occupied that weekend. IL I could see a case for doing that down at Soldier (or Wrigley) in a battle for Chicago's B1G Team - they did host a couple of their home games there years back. But I also don't mind playing them with 20k capacity on the lakefill - their games hosting us down at Memorial Stadium on TG weekend usually don't have much more than 20k...)

Again... quite hesitant and not high expectations - but really cool outside the box thinking. I hope there's a way to make this work.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I feel like it must have already been discussed here because it was alluded to in the PBC thread. But just linking the Darren Rovell tweet in case as I don't see a thread discussing this.

Yes, the logistics and parking would be a nightmare. No, I don't have any confidence whatsoever in Gragg's ability to pull this off effectively.

But... re logistics: you open up some marginal on-campus parking, have the majority of folks park at Ryan Field (aim to keep one of E or W lots clear during that period of construction), do reverse shuttles from Ryan Field back to campus, have most people get off in front of Patten and walk from there. You'd have to set up some preferential parking on campus for handicapped or older folks. And I realize that one road in and out on Lincoln is going to be a mess as the game approaches. But... is that really worse than having everyone drive >1 hour down to Bridgeport to play in a soccer stadium that is on the SW side of Chicago?? The 15-20k capacity in the temporary facility will make it somewhat more manageable. And heck - we should actually have a home field advantage at that capacity? Plus, the views and notoriety it would gain would turn this into something of a positive out of what is a really crappy situation, and give the players something to be excited about.

Lots of hurdles and challenges make me very skeptical this will actually ever get done (particularly with Ggarg at the helm), but this is the first thing I've seen that actually gives me some hope that next season won't be a disaster. Good creative thinking by someone in the AD. Let's brainstorm and troubleshoot and try to make it work!

(PS - keep the one Wrigley game for OSU, and then debatable what you do for Wisconsin and IL. I'd love to host Wisconsin at this temporary facility and block out some of the visiting Bucky fans personally, particularly if Soldier is occupied that weekend. IL I could see a case for doing that down at Soldier (or Wrigley) in a battle for Chicago's B1G Team - they did host a couple of their home games there years back. But I also don't mind playing them with 20k capacity on the lakefill - their games hosting us down at Memorial Stadium on TG weekend usually don't have much more than 20k...)

Again... quite hesitant and not high expectations - but really cool outside the box thinking. I hope there's a way to make this work.

It’s not happening.

Wondering out loud...

1. Would any version of this require approval from the city?
2. Could you literally get 15-20K over there safely?

It just doesn't seem viable.

I am inspecting the photo and do not see where one might place a stadium.

Nice diversionary PR while the scheduling plans implode behind closed doors. Ggarg, Gaagh.

Reactions: NUCat320
I am inspecting the photo and do not see where one might place a stadium.

Nice diversionary PR while the scheduling plans implode behind closed doors. Ggarg, Gaagh.
It really is an embarrassment. They just forgot to do it.

“Waiting for the NFL schedule” is such a crock had they actually done some advance work prior to realizing that, oh sh*t, the stadium really is coming down.

“Waiting for the NFL schedule” is such a crock had they actually done some advance work prior to realizing that, oh sh*t, the stadium really is coming down.
Not a crock. Reality.

Actually, a solution is coming into focus!

Build a temporary stadium AT RYAN FIELD!

The demo will be done as well as much site work. Build the WasteManagement 16th Hole Bowl at Central and Ashland. Delay construction another year and schedule the 25-26 and 26-27 games at other venues NOW.

And NU can have my idea for free as long as they call the place Camp Graggle Stadium!

But I wish it would. It would be great University branding, for one thing.

It would be a shit show.

Fitz was a big proponent of the idea even when Ryan Field was available, pushing to have early season non-conference games there. The feasibility study was done years ago, but just recently surfaced publicly by LakeThePosts. There are a lot of reasons it never got off the ground, literally and figuratively.

Not a crock. Reality.
It’s lack of foresight and advance planning.

If the Kansas Jayhawks can secure four dates at the home of the Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs as of January 30, why can’t NU do the same at Soldier Field?

These are good quotes:
Kansas City Chiefs President Mark Donovan: “We are excited to host Jayhawks football games at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium while David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium is undergoing renovations. In addition to another huge summer of concerts and the FIFA 2026 World Cup, the stadium continues to serve as a community asset for the region. Our Arrowhead Events team has been working closely with the University of Kansas Athletic Department to ensure that players, coaches, staff and fans feel at-home. We look forward to seeing college football return to the home of the Chiefs this fall.”

Sporting KC President and CEO Jake Reid: “Sporting Kansas City and the University of Kansas are longtime supporters of one another. We’ve worked closely on numerous initiatives in recent years including preparations for FIFA World Cup 2026, playing Sporting KC II matches at Rock Chalk Park and also launching our Sporting U and Sporting U NIL platforms. We look forward to hosting Coach Leipold and the nationally-ranked Kansas Football program at Children’s Mercy Park and welcoming KU students and fans to cheer on the Jayhawks.”

Also, Northwestern athletic director Derrick Gragg: “Wait, we’re not just canceling the season? We finally named our defensive coordinator. What else can you expect. Assh*les. Call me doctor.”

If the Kansas Jayhawks can secure four dates at the home of the Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs as of January 30, why can’t NU do the same at Soldier Field?
Isn't there an issue with the park district being a huge pain in the ass about soldier field (eg they won’t allow a game within a week of the bears playing because the turf is so bad)? That would mean they can’t plan games until they know the home schedule. I also know the Fire play there on Saturdays. Not sure how that might factor in.

These are good quotes:
Kansas City Chiefs President Mark Donovan: “We are excited to host Jayhawks football games at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium while David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium is undergoing renovations. In addition to another huge summer of concerts and the FIFA 2026 World Cup, the stadium continues to serve as a community asset for the region. Our Arrowhead Events team has been working closely with the University of Kansas Athletic Department to ensure that players, coaches, staff and fans feel at-home. We look forward to seeing college football return to the home of the Chiefs this fall.”

Sporting KC President and CEO Jake Reid: “Sporting Kansas City and the University of Kansas are longtime supporters of one another. We’ve worked closely on numerous initiatives in recent years including preparations for FIFA World Cup 2026, playing Sporting KC II matches at Rock Chalk Park and also launching our Sporting U and Sporting U NIL platforms. We look forward to hosting Coach Leipold and the nationally-ranked Kansas Football program at Children’s Mercy Park and welcoming KU students and fans to cheer on the Jayhawks.”

Also, Northwestern athletic director Derrick Gragg: “Wait, we’re not just canceling the season? We finally named our defensive coordinator. What else can you expect. Assh*les. Call me doctor.”

You really can't figure out there's a difference between a turf field like KC and natural grass like SF??

Isn't there an issue with the park district being a huge pain in the ass about soldier field (eg they won’t allow a game within a week of the bears playing because the turf is so bad)? That would mean they can’t plan games until they know the home schedule. I also know the Fire play there on Saturdays. Not sure how that might factor in.
OK course it does. However, these policies were probably known a year or two ago. It looks like Gagg didn't start looking until after the stadium was approved. SO MANY things could have been done a year ago to prepare. Now he's running around with his pants around his ankles trying to get a deal done. What a toad.

Reactions: NUCat320
I am sure personalities come into play at some discretionary level. "Rules are rules" but not for the cultural elite who own all the stuff.

Phillips was prominently well-networked with all the majors sports power brokers in the city.

I openly wonder if Gragg even has telephone numbers for them.

Reactions: 2388bb
You really can't figure out there's a difference between a turf field like KC and natural grass like SF??
Does sod solutions pro install artificial turf? Unless ‘turfgrass’ actually means ‘ground up and reconstituted Goodyear tires painted green’, Arrowhead is a natural grass field.

Those weekends are blocked off the NFL schedule , I imagine.

OK course it does. However, these policies were probably known a year or two ago. It looks like Gagg didn't start looking until after the stadium was approved. SO MANY things could have been done a year ago to prepare. Now he's running around with his pants around his ankles trying to get a deal done. What a toad.
We’ve been over this a million times. But what alternatives are you proposing? No one has any. I mean it’s great for Kansas that Arrowhead doesn’t hate a trash playing surface and no legit music festival is going to Sporting KC’s stadium during a weekend where they really needed a home game there.

“They should have done something!” is so silly when there are not great options. I suspect it will be a combo of seat geek, Wrigley, and soldier field, maybe on a non Saturday. Really not the end of the world.

I am sure personalities come into play at some discretionary level. "Rules are rules" but not for the cultural elite who own all the stuff.

Phillips was prominently well-networked with all the majors sports power brokers in the city.

I openly wonder if Gragg even has telephone numbers for them.
Pat Ryan is a minority owner of the Bears. The park district answers to no one. Even Lolla has to bow down to them.

These are good quotes:

This.

But what alternatives are you proposing?
You see, the problem is that his negligence has made it near-impossible to HAVE alternatives. You can't ask me about flood prevention when the flood has already occurred. What I'm on about is that he should be fired for negligence, but instead he'll get a raise and praise for selling so many season tix (to non NU fans due to the faux home games with large, red universities).

The solution WOULD HAVE BEEN to have negotiated LOIs/MOUs, pending our final schedules and Evamston approval, with third parties such as the pro teams stadia, other colleges like NIU, or SeatGeek. You know, have an actual plan. Heck, he could have secured Evanston approvals, waited another ~10 months and done the first X games at home, started demo in November, and been able to negotiate in earnest with people for 2025

For God's sake, don't start looking around for your toll ticket when you have already stopped at the booth.

We’ve been over this a million times. But what alternatives are you proposing? No one has any. I mean it’s great for Kansas that Arrowhead doesn’t hate a trash playing surface and no legit music festival is going to Sporting KC’s stadium during a weekend where they really needed a home game there.

“They should have done something!” is so silly when there are not great options. I suspect it will be a combo of seat geek, Wrigley, and soldier field, maybe on a non Saturday. Really not the end of the world.
It almost reads as if your belief is that having no plan six months to the first game is *the best* approach.

In the note embedded below, he doesn’t even *pretend* to be on top of things.

“We just figured that Soldier Field would be available, but now we’re not sure because we keep calling NFL customer service and we can’t even talk to someone in scheduling when we say REPRESENTATIVE over and over. So we’re assuming it’s not available.”

I don’t think the MAC shifts to MACtion midweek games until late October. Maybe NU can just shift every home game to a Wednesday in DeKalb.

It almost reads as if your belief is that having no plan six months to the first game is *the best* approach.

“We just figured that Soldier Field would be available, but now we’re not sure because we keep calling NFL customer service and we can’t even talk to someone in scheduling when we say REPRESENTATIVE over and over. So we’re assuming it’s not available.”

I don’t think the MAC shifts to MACtion midweek games until late October. Maybe NU can just shift every home game to a Wednesday in DeKalb.

Definitely not the best; it’s a tough situation. Gragg should be fired for multiple reasons, but I think this one is exceedingly difficult.

You see, the problem is that his negligence has made it near-impossible to HAVE alternatives. You can't ask me about flood prevention when the flood has already occurred. What I'm on about is that he should be fired for negligence, but instead he'll get a raise and praise for selling so many season tix (to non NU fans due to the faux home games with large, red universities).

The solution WOULD HAVE BEEN to have negotiated LOIs/MOUs, pending our final schedules and Evamston approval, with third parties such as the pro teams stadia, other colleges like NIU, or SeatGeek. You know, have an actual plan. Heck, he could have secured Evanston approvals, waited another ~10 months and done the first X games at home, started demo in November, and been able to negotiate in earnest with people for 2025

For God's sake, don't start looking around for your toll ticket when you have already stopped at the booth.
Seat geek isn’t available for one of the open dates we need (Labor Day weekend) and hasn’t been for years. We apparently explored Lambeau but the date would have sucked given the opponent. We’ve been over the soldier field situation.

We need:
Aug 31 — no seat geek, no NIU
Sept 7 — no seat geek, NIU at ND
Sept 14 — seat geek available
Oct 5 — seat geek available
Oct 19 — seat geek available
Nov 16 — Wrigley
Nov 30 — Wrigley

We are really solving for two dates. I guess we could try to play in dekalb? I guess we could have asked NIU if we could potentially use their stadium if we needed it in 2024 or 2025 before we knew? I personally think ford field or Indy would be dumb but that’s just me. Aug 31 is NFL preseason timing. Depending on when the Bears play that could be an option. (Again, don’t have the schedule and there are rules about the turf).

I am failing to see all of the amazing options at our disposal. It would be great to be close to an NFL stadium that doesn’t care if we play within a week. Or have a schedule line up perfectly with a soccer stadium.

Seat geek isn’t available for one of the open dates we need (Labor Day weekend) and hasn’t been for years. We apparently explored Lambeau but the date would have sucked given the opponent. We’ve been over the soldier field situation.

We need:
Nov 16 — Wrigley
Nov 30 — Wrigley

We are really solving for two dates. I guess we could try to play in dekalb? I guess we could have asked NIU if we could potentially use their stadium if we needed it in 2024 or 2025 before we knew? I personally think ford field or Indy would be dumb but that’s just me. Aug 31 is NFL preseason timing. Depending on when the Bears play that could be an option. (Again, don’t have the schedule and there are rules about the turf).

I am failing to see all of the amazing options at our disposal. It would be great to be close to an NFL stadium that doesn’t care if we play within a week. Or have a schedule line up perfectly with a soccer stadium.
I fully and completely understand the CURRENT situation, which exists only because Dumble-Bore didnt do his job a year ago. Or 2 years.

Gata seems to think nothing could have been done with advance planning. Like, presumably, Kansas did. S/he wants us to present solutions now, when they should have been explored as as soon as the project was in the planning stage. Not to mention, it's not OUR job to to Gagg's job.

Right now, I have no confidence that 2025 will be any better (or 2026 when the stadium project is mismanaged)

Gata seems to think nothing could have been done with advance planning. Like, presumably, Kansas did. S/he wants us to present solutions now, when they should have been explored as as soon as the project was in the planning stage. Not to mention, it's not OUR job to to Gagg's job.

Right now, I have no confidence that 2025 will be any better (or 2026 when the stadium project is mismanaged)
Setting aside the fact that we didn’t know we needed a new place to play in 2024 until November or December 2023, many of these venues had weekends booked years in advance. I’m sorry but you aren’t kicking home teams out of their stadiums (don’t forget, the Fire play at Soldier) or asking them to cancel long running music festivals. And without knowing the NFL schedule and knowing you need a week of lead time before a Bears game, how could we land dates there? It’s completely different from the Kansas situation, where they had lead time and fewer restrictions at Arrowhead — and a lot of available dates at their soccer stadium that align with their schedule. It sucks.

I’m confident we talked to the cubs and seat geek asap and will have games set up there where possible, and have a feeling we will end up at Soldier albeit on weird days of the week. I guess we could have played in Detroit or Indy as GCG suggested, but there would be complaints about that too.

Setting aside the fact that we didn’t know we needed a new place to play in 2024 until November or December 2023, many of these venues had weekends booked years in advance. I’m sorry but you aren’t kicking home teams out of their stadiums (don’t forget, the Fire play at Soldier) or asking them to cancel long running music festivals. And without knowing the NFL schedule and knowing you need a week of lead time before a Bears game, how could we land dates there? It’s completely different from the Kansas situation, where they had lead time and fewer restrictions at Arrowhead — and a lot of available dates at their soccer stadium that align with their schedule. It sucks.

I’m confident we talked to the cubs and seat geek asap and will have games set up there where possible, and have a feeling we will end up at Soldier albeit on weird days of the week. I guess we could have played in Detroit or Indy as GCG suggested, but there would be complaints about that too.
I'll begin by making my periodic acknowledgement that none of us really know what can or can't be done with discretion behind the scenes...

That being said, the power brokers in Chicago sports, as I understand it, are a fairly tight-knit network. It was absolutely clear that Jim Phillips was in on this network. We'll never know if or how he and Morty could have finessed things in ways that Gragg and Schill - with tangible evidence in front of us - cannot, but I had confidence in their predecessors with proven track records of effectiveness.

It's certainly possible that Gragg and Schill just have the misfortune of being in charge at the precisely wrong time and are holding the proverbial bag that anyone in their positions would be holding...if this was their only mismanagement of a high profile athletic situation then maybe I wouldn't think so harshly of them...

Reactions: iskaboo

We knew well, well before December 2023 that we would need temporary home(s) for the 2024 season.

Reactions: phatcat
I'll begin by making my periodic acknowledgement that none of us really know what can or can't be done with discretion behind the scenes...

That being said, the power brokers in Chicago sports, as I understand it, are a fairly tight-knit network. It was absolutely clear that Jim Phillips was in on this network. We'll never know if or how he and Morty could have finessed things in ways that Gragg and Schill - with tangible evidence in front of us - cannot, but I had confidence in their predecessors with proven track records of effectiveness.

It's certainly possible that Gragg and Schill just have the misfortune of being in charge at the precisely wrong time and are holding the proverbial bag that anyone in their positions would be holding...if this was their only mismanagement of a high profile athletic situation then maybe I wouldn't think so harshly of them...

Very well said. Don’t discount Fitz’s involvement too. I’m sure he would have had some influence as well. I imagine he’s sitting back watching the current cluster**** with a bit of a smile on his face.

I like that he took 400 words to say the same thing Rovell did.*

I’m dumb enough to think that NU could figure out the logistics and use shuttles and RF lots and fans’ own two legs to make it happen.

*I had no idea Baylor has the Brazos River. That’s interesting. I have not confirmed whether Big 12 fans can boat from Baylor/Waco to A&M/College Station.

Looking at the satellite photo, I do wonder if they could install bleachers that span over the fences and even over the walking paths to the east and south, and toward the facade of the Kellogg school building to the West. They could also put some in the north end zone but couldn’t render the soccer/LAZ field unusable (maybe those could be removed between FB games).

In regard to parking a lot of people use the campus lots already so it’s like a reverse commute. Use whatever stadium lots are available and the streets around there and run shuttles.

Reactions: drewjin
This could absolutely, positively happen and it would be awesome! People could park all over campus, downtown Evanston, at the stadium lots, on the streets, or take public transportation and rideshare -- just like they do now. This would be a huge missed opportunity if it doesn't come to fruition.

Just think of the optics and media coverage of this vs. some other borrowed stadium. Give the fans what they want!

This could absolutely, positively happen and it would be awesome! People could park all over campus, downtown Evanston, at the stadium lots, on the streets, or take public transportation and rideshare -- just like they do now. This would be a huge missed opportunity if it doesn't come to fruition.

Just think of the optics and media coverage of this vs. some other borrowed stadium. Give the fans what they want!
Noyes CTA is less than a mile away

Really hard to see the admin pulling this kind of thing in the upcoming season. Maybe a couple games in 2025.

Reactions: phatcat

We need:
Nov 16 — Wrigley
Nov 30 — Wrigley

Aug 31 - ND Available

Very well said. Don’t discount Fitz’s involvement too. I’m sure he would have had some influence as well. I imagine he’s sitting back watching the current cluster**** with a bit of a smile on his face.
Fitz is definitely involved and just biding his time for the cards and cash to come his way, as schill pickle, gagg me with a spoon, barris me in the lake and hagertee me up the fairway skate on the pond of no return.

It has been almost a month since athletics dept told season ticket holders it was "close to finalising and announcing". Is there any update since then? It must be mayhem in the athletic department right now - it would be good to hear from some people on the inside (anonymously).

It has all the hallmarks of a "leader" who ambles around and says things, but who fears making choices and is unwilling to lead from the front on complex or difficult operational issues. The type who resists saying or doing anything concrete. With this type of leader, all the tough issues get delegated downwards, resulting in delays to things that require urgent resolution, and a spin cycle of accountability.

I am concerned that one of three things happens:

1. Stands at lake need to get built in a hurry, resulting in embarrassing shortcomings, a high school football vibe, or even worse a death during hurried construction (as happened at University of Hawaii).

2. Our Home Games become away games (e.g. UW at Lambeau)

3. We don't even play a full schedule

Let's see. Seems very, very clear that there is zero ability to think past this week in the Athletic department and that the AD is not leading - nor is he willing to get his hands dirty.

Last edited:
It has been almost a month since athletics dept told season ticket holders it was "close to finalising and announcing". Is there any update since then? It must be mayhem in the athletic department right now - it would be good to hear from some people on the inside (anonymously).

It has all the hallmarks of a "leader" who ables around and says things, but who fears making choices and is unwilling to lead from the front on complex or difficult issues. All the the tough issues get delegated downwards, resulting in spin cycle.

I am really concerned that one of three things happens:

1. Stands at lake need to get built in a hurry, resulting in embarrassing shortcomings, a high school football vibe, or even worse a death during hurried construction (as happened at University of Hawaii).

2. Our Home Games become away games (e.g. UW at Lambeau)

3. We don't even play a full schedule

Let's see. Seems very, very clear that there is zero ability to think past this week in the Athletic department and that the AD is not leading.

#NegativelyGragg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT