ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to move on from Collins

It’s great that you believe that, but I think that Shurna, Juice, Crawford, and Coble would all be the best player on this team.

Let’s wait for Beran or Berry or Nance to become stars before we believe they are.
I am not talking individual players. It is a team game and depth matters. I am interested in your answer: Which team would you pick to beat this one?

Yes, and we vastly overrate the talent of our individual players. NU hasn’t sniffed the postseason since the tourney season, because the players haven’t been as good, and so many people here have held onto the illusion that they have been.

Every NIT team under Carmody would beat this team, because they got good shots and were good players who could make those shots, even if Juice was only a two-star.

I’ll take the team that wins more than it loses, over the team that doesn’t.

Last edited:
I am not talking individual players. It is a team game and depth matters. I am interested in your answer: Which team would you pick to beat this one?
My vote goes to the 1982-82 team of Stack, Jenkins, Rathel, Goode and Aaron. Would spank the current Cats.

Rutgers hired a no-namer and seems to be doing pretty well with him. For all the mocking of them since they've come into the conference, they now have a better men's basketball team than we do, and their football will improve under Schiano.
I guess he's a no-namer in the sense that he coached in a small conference, but the guy took Stony Brook from being one of the worst teams in D1 to winning 4 conference titles in 7 years, even though they only made the tourney once.

Yes, and we vastly overrate the talent of our individual players. NU hasn’t sniffed the postseason since the tourney season, because the players haven’t been as good, and so many people here have held onto the illusion that they have been.

Every NIT team under Carmody would beat this team, because they got good shots and were good players who could make those shots, even if Juice was only a two-star.

I’ll take the team that wins more than it loses, over the team that doesn’t.
They certainly might, but we didn't make the NIT until Carmody's 9th season.

This current team is projected to be one of the worst 2-3 teams in the conference, so

It is more likely Collins will be looking this Spring to move on. Could totally see him go after another job and the DePaul one comes to mind especially. Also he has told those close to him from previous reports by Jeff Goodman in particular tha CC views the NBA as a destination so he could be looking to find a way to make that jump somehow. Either way I think Dr. Jim leaving will give Collins an excuse to look to leave

I guess he's a no-namer in the sense that he coached in a small conference, but the guy took Stony Brook from being one of the worst teams in D1 to winning 4 conference titles in 7 years, even though they only made the tourney once.

Did you know Pikiell's daughter plays for NU??

Agreed, especially If we go with an up and coming AD in their 40s we should expect that they will want to do SOMETHING. If we go with someone who views this is a capstone job and is maybe 5-10 years from retirement then maybe they just stay the course and let Collins ride out his contract.
OK, he can start the re-do of Ryan Field. Think that would keep him very busy!

Last edited:
maybe, maybe not. As I asked, who made that projection?
The media did. And unlike in football, NU basketball is not often unfairly rated by the media. If anything, they love to overrate NU bball.

Take a team that almost went winless in conference last year. Add some marginal at best improvements to the roster through new freshmen and transfers. What do you get? Another team that’s one of the worst in the conference. It’s not quantum physics

And? Our football team was projected to be last place in the B1G west this year as well. Let's see how the season plays out.
The talent differential between NU’s bball team this year and its conference peers is far greater than in football. Combined with Collins lack of in game coaching ability, that portends to be a very bad team.

The point is that NU is the toughest job in the B1G. IMO it isn’t close. Rutgers is an easier job in basketball. Established Coach or no name will have a tough time here.

Actually, my response was directed at the idea that hiring a no-name coach wouldn't excite the fan base, which doesn't really matter. Actually, a no-namer probably would be a better hire as NU lacks basketball tradition, which in my opinion is the main thing that holds NU back. There is otherwise no reason why Northwestern, a school located near the nation's third-largest city and playing in one of the banner conferences in the country, shouldn't be a good basketball job.

It is more likely Collins will be looking this Spring to move on. Could totally see him go after another job and the DePaul one comes to mind especially. Also he has told those close to him from previous reports by Jeff Goodman in particular tha CC views the NBA as a destination so he could be looking to find a way to make that jump somehow. Either way I think Dr. Jim leaving will give Collins an excuse to look to leave

That would be fantastic. For all parties.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
OK, he can start the re-do of Ryan Field. Think that would keep him very busy!
Leave Ryan Field alone. You want to make it more comfortable for visiting fans and pay seat licenses for the pleasure ? The only way I would support changing Ryan is if it is part of an NU hotel/conference center that incorporates the stadium into the complex.

Leave Ryan Field alone. You want to make it more comfortable for visiting fans and pay seat licenses for the pleasure ? The only way I would support changing Ryan is if it is part of an NU hotel/conference center that incorporates the stadium into the complex.
That sounds good... let's do it! truthfully Ryan Field need lots of upgrades. South end zone seats. More restrooms, lots more! Under stands upgrade and enlargement, especially food service areas. East stands should match the west side. Finally, do something, ANYTHING with Walker Terrace!

The hope was that he could recruit a different kind of talent to NU but that hasn’t happened. For NU to compete with inferior athletes they need to be impeccably coached and Collins just isn’t a good X’s and O’s coach. He’s not working out here. Our program is going backwards.
Back to 1979.

• Haha
Reactions: Alan Smithee
The talent differential between NU’s bball team this year and its conference peers is far greater than in football. Combined with Collins lack of in game coaching ability, that portends to be a very bad team.
Yo meaty, care to weigh in now?

This thread is gold. TheC solidifies his spot as the most overly dramatic poster on WR. Some of the quotes here are awesome. The hate on Nance...wow, just wow. So happy the coaches and kids don’t read this crap. Stock is rising on NUBKB!!
TheC seems like a good guy but he is unbearable during games or after losses. At least he admits it though.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Yo meaty, care to weigh in now?

great win for sure. But I thought we agreed to wait until the end of the season to pass judgment. If Nance and co can keep up this level of production I will happily eat my words.

Tell that to MSU

Reactions: willycat
I was at that game. Still have splinters in my ass from the bleachers in McGaw Hall.
I was there earlier and it was the dust that was kicked up from the indoor track. Saw us beat a Purdue team with a box and one

great win for sure. But I thought we agreed to wait until the end of the season to pass judgment. If Nance and co can keep up this level of production I will happily eat my words.
I am not sure any of the naysayers actually agreed to wait until the season to pass judgment. That would be reasonable but I don't recall that. I am pretty sure they passed final judgment after the Pitt game.

And so the team just needs to keep beating top 10 teams all year and you will acknowledge they have made some strides?

I am not sure any of the naysayers actually agreed to wait until the season to pass judgment. That would be reasonable but I don't recall that. I am pretty sure they passed final judgment after the Pitt game.

And so the team just needs to keep beating top 10 teams all year and you will acknowledge they have made some strides?
Most didn’t because we had to sit in the stands and watch what happened last year game after game. Let’s hope we’ve turned the corner, but it’s been a very bad number of years now. Starting with having to drive out to Allstate for that misery.

This is one of the better comments in this thread. As I said in the last week or so, it's becoming pretty obvious what Nance is. If you want to put some of that on CC, I can go with that. But a pretty soft player and a love affair with a pretty mediocre 3-pt shot isn't all Collins.

But TKFH, you better get accustomed to the idea that some out here are just waiting ... itching ... drooling to shred Collins. Three games into a season is a new record.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't deserve criticism and a close watch. But killing him after three games ...?
Didn't it really start before the season started?

But they did in fact finish 8-23 last year. Not exactly a great performance by a coach in his 7th season........
Do you remember BC's eighth year? 8-22 and 1-17 in BIG and the conference was not as good then as it is now. Then there was last night. NU79, MSU65

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
While the choke job down the stretch last night was infuriating, the problems with this team were apparent for most of the game. It's the same problems that have plagued us the past few years.

Couldn't secure rebounds - not sure if this is athleticism or toughness, but that was awful.

Can't stop penetration without fouling. That last play to win the game was ridiculous. Their point guard just drove right to the cup and no one was going to stop him. How come our guards can never get to the cup on an end of half/game play?

No rhyme or reason on offense. It was just Buie dribbling around for 20 seconds and then either jacking up a wild shot or occasionally trying to find Young. What happened to the other three guys? Well... they were busy being physically dominated by Pitt defenders who were in each of our guy's chest all over the floor. They were right up on our guys even 25-30 feet from the basket and we couldn't take advantage of that. I felt like I was watching NU football with wide receivers who can't get any separation. Buie couldn't pass to anyone because our guys couldn't shed their defender to get open for a pass. A coach needs to either scheme to take advantage of this or inspire better to get his guys to fight harder.

But the main reason I think it's time for a change is that things are getting worse instead of better. The post-tourny team rebuild is now in Year 3 and I see no signs of improvement. Year 2 was worse than Year 1 and Year 3 is starting to look as bad if not worse than Year 2. That is not a good sign and means it's time for a change.
I think a good amount of that was that we had only had two games in a stranger than strange season. New guys starting and not really sure of roles. Last year we were youngest team in BIG and this year guys just getting used to each other. They are still trying to learn how to win and the Pitt game may be an important step in that process

Last edited:
Rutgers hired a no-namer and seems to be doing pretty well with him. For all the mocking of them since they've come into the conference, they now have a better men's basketball team than we do, and their football will improve under Schiano.
Better than IL? That coach had some successful experience at a lower level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT