ADVERTISEMENT

It's official: Jordan Goodwin to SLU

I saw that a couple days ago. My first thought was...hmmmmm. I was going to post something really negative. Really, really negative. But I just couldn't. (channeling Donald Trump)

Reminds me of when they got Larry Hughes to go there. Didn't they give his brother some preferential medical treatment of some sort?

Well, the masters of distortion are out again. NU's state of recruiting is as follows: they are recruiting the top talent in Illinois and getting some of the top talent (Rapolas and Benson most recently). Every year, NU is in the running for the top 5-10 players in the state of Illinois. This has never happened before.

With Jordan G., they appeared to be a finalist but they lost out to a school that is closer and for other reasons like ties to an assistant coach. But there are many other highly ranked players still considering NU seriously and this staff will keep fighting. Young kids make decisions for many reasons. Remember Alvin Ellis a shooting guard from Chicago that went to MSU and probably will spend his senior season on the bench at MSU as they have recruited higher ranked younger players and his minutes have dwindled. The opportunities to go to NU and get more playing minutes early and get coached and developed by a great coaching staff are better and making history at NU are better than riding the bench at other schools which are viewed as having a better tradition but does not really mean much as setting a legacy. The state of NU recruiting is as high as it has ever been and the state of athleticism and skills on this year's team is as high as it has been and it is too bad that the naysayers can not realize that.

Hmmmm...we have seemingly sat on an open schollie for a few months. We have one of three spots filled. Tell me more young wise one.

Cool! Cyberstalking. You win, Xyklonbob!

That's the best little defense you have? Ok, I can live with that label from you. Since your little friend likes to run his mouth at me every post - I will happy 'stalk' his prior words to put him on display.

Oh the Premature One strikes again because Alvin Ellis has one good game against Minny in three years at MSU. Again he misses the point like all of his posts. My point in regards to Ellis was that he would be better served to choose NU over MSU and be the 10th man on the roster for his college career and his post-college career since he will not be playing in the pros. MSU was desperate for a win last night. Izzo searched long and hard on his bench and found Ellis who hit a couple of shots and had his best game of his career. That is not sustainable in my opinion. I am sure that Collins will have him highlighted in his scouting report along with stopping Nick Ward. Too bad Premature Bobby can't figure out the value of a NU degree for a player like Ellis who is not NBA bound. Did Premature Bob really go to NU because he can not figure out the value of a degree from NU? From his posts and his high level of basketball ignorance, I question that.

For his attempts to criticize my minute projections from this summer, I guess he miss my hits on McIntosh and Law and for misses on projecting minutes for Lumpkin, there is something called injuries and before the season Falzon was slated to play starters minutes. That means that Lumpkin's minutes would have been decreased. Oh, facts get in the way of the dimwitted one's posts again.

Everyone please notice how he focuses on irrelevant and baseless posts aimed at me as opposed to focusing on all the positive things that occurred yesterday with the 31 point game by Lindsey, the double-double by Law, the solid game by McIntosh. It seems like he enjoys focusing on the negative in regards to NU sports as opposed to NU. Anyone else notice that? Such a funny poster!

Too funny! Collins' recruiting class of McIntosh, Lindsey, Law and Skelly looks great after three seasons.

Benson and Brown like solid contributors as frosh.

Bottom line: NU is 12-2 and 1-0 in Big 10 play. Too bad some can't figure that out.

New nickname for this poster: Premature BOM. That means Bitter Old Man.

That's the best little defense you have? Ok, I can live with that label from you. Since your little friend likes to run his mouth at me every post - I will happy 'stalk' his prior words to put him on display.
Bob, you have created a few labels yourself here, mainly the "kool aid drinkers."

I don't have a dog in this fight. Just keep in mind that on any fan board, if you take a strong contrarian position (not saying outlandish or extreme, but in the minority) and go to exceptional lengths to promote it, you are going to evoke a strong response from some others. This just goes with the territory. If you are going to go there, you are exposing yourself to critical responses.

Are you Turk? I ask because your contrary style of questioning the program leadership incessantly and sometimes getting into personal wars with those who disagree is very reminiscent of Turk.

I don't wish you any ill at all, and have no desire to enter the debate about the program's direction (I am pleased with it), but would encourage you to assess your own behaviors in wondering why you might feel personally attacked here.

We need a Northwestern-style solution to this squabble. Walker Fan and xyzbob should hold hands and walk a few laps around a football field together.

Bob, you have created a few labels yourself here, mainly the "kool aid drinkers."

I don't have a dog in this fight. Just keep in mind that on any fan board, if you take a strong contrarian position (not saying outlandish or extreme, but in the minority) and go to exceptional lengths to promote it, you are going to evoke a strong response from some others. This just goes with the territory. If you are going to go there, you are exposing yourself to critical responses.

Are you Turk? I ask because your contrary style of questioning the program leadership incessantly and sometimes getting into personal wars with those who disagree is very reminiscent of Turk.

I don't wish you any ill at all, and have no desire to enter the debate about the program's direction (I am pleased with it), but would encourage you to assess your own behaviors in wondering why you might feel personally attacked here.

Not Turk - though he gave me his bball tix once. He has some amazing seats.

I'm not sweating the kitchen - I'm just giving the young lad his money's worth. I promise I will break it off before he cries. But I think there is still some time left to play on his youthful ignorance.

Meanwhile, this old man has to go play some golf before I head back to old man winter in the Chi.

I forgot to mention that NU is recruiting the top talent from the nation (Texas, Ohio and elsewhere) in addition to recruiting the talent rich state of Illinois. So no, NU's recruiting momentum is strong.

Yup, real strong... Your three incoming freshman in 2017 are...

Maybe we don't get the big fish for this class. Gaines is a solid player and will be a solid wing but next year we will land some big time players and NU will be a consistently good team

How about the bowl win by NU over Pitt? Great performance! Big bowl win for NU.

Oh but wait Premature BOM has spewed more negativity about NU's 2017 bball class. Too bad he can't figure out that NU's second 2017 recruit is 4-star forward and no. 89 recruit in the nation per rivals.com (second highest recruit of Collins' four years behind Vic Law) and is a 6'9" forward named Rapolas Ivanauskas. Yes, he has four years of eligibility starting in 2017. A redshirt freshman. Too bad that facts do not fit into Premature BOM's offbase tangent.

How about the bowl win by NU over Pitt? Great performance! Big bowl win for NU.

Oh but wait Premature BOM has spewed more negativity about NU's 2017 bball class. Too bad he can't figure out that NU's second 2017 recruit is 4-star forward and no. 89 recruit in the nation per rivals.com (second highest recruit of Collins' four years behind Vic Law) and is a 6'9" forward named Rapolas Ivanauskas. Yes, he has four years of eligibility starting in 2017. A redshirt freshman. Too bad that facts do not fit into Premature BOM's offbase tangent.

This is the basketball board, right? Lil Walker must have gotten lost...

How cute re-enrolling RI into the 2017 class. What about Falzon, is he the third with his RS this year?

Sorry champ, but your post, not mine, touted the great momentum...yet two schollies remained unfilled. Only one new player in the fold. The team looks great, maybe we dance this year. But you and your insights, well, I guess you should keep your day job at Jiffy Lube as bball expert nor NU grad appear in your future.

Deep thoughts by the most frequent naysayer:

1) Duke, UK and Louisville have won a number of NCAA titles over the past 25-30 years and they are called blue blood programs. Louisville is embroiled in one of these biggest recruiting scandals. Comparing NU's recruiting to Duke and Kentucky who attract more McDonald All-Americans than any other programs is comparing apples to oranges;
2) NU has a number of scholarship offers to PGs, SGs and some big guys;
3) If NU loses its top returning player then the team will have trouble. If Maryland loses Melo Trimble then they would have trouble. That is why Collins was so down when Vic had to surgery last season. They lost their most athletic player and still won 20 games and 8 Big 10 games which ranks right up with the top NU seasons ever.
4) NU will not hold onto scholarships and get a class of two freshmen and maybe three frosh. The program will not get a 5th year transfer. Remember they tried that with Canyon Berry.

Hopefully, that helps out with some naysayers' basketball education.

This genius quote brought to you by Jiffy Lube - employing high school drop outs since the 60s. I guess there will be no transfer and we can expect two more quality recruits to commit in the next few weeks, per our young Board expert. (Hmmmm, suppose RI will be reclassified as a frosh? I will go out on a limb and guess red shirt freshman. But what do I know...)

RI is a RS FR. Clueless BOM! That means he has 4 years of eligibility left starting in 2017.

Is the sky still falling like you predicted for the football team after their 1-3 start? Too bad you had no clue that Western Michigan is a solid team. Football and basketball ignorance at an elite level - Premature BOM.

BTW, I think Collins has an ability to evaluate and develop basketball talent. Too funny that BOM has not figured that out.

RI is a RS FR. Clueless BOM! That means he has 4 years of eligibility left starting in 2017.

Is the sky still falling like you predicted for the football team after their 1-3 start? Too bad you had no clue that Western Michigan is a solid team. Football and basketball ignorance at an elite level - Premature BOM.

BTW, I think Collins has an ability to evaluate and develop basketball talent. Too funny that BOM has not figured that out.

Shouldn't you be at work? Anywho, reading compression must not be required at Jiffy Lube - I identified RI as a RS FR. And the incoming class has 5 years to use four years of eligibility. Guess we don't need those extra schollies anyway...should probably never use them, right?

And while this is a BB board, I agree that they definitely finished out strong. But, they are 7-6, yesterday was NYD and they lost to ISU - a pretty crappy non D1 team. That said, they turned the season around, beat a ranked team in a lower bowl and ended strong.

Any misguided or genius insight to share jiffy boy?

Just finished your shift at Ignoramus "R" Us BOM. My point was that RI has four years of eligibility left and that means he and Gaines have 4 years of eligibility left. So they are grouped together. For 2017 season, the roster is as follows: Seniors - McIntosh. Lindsey, Skelly, Juniors - Pardon, Ash, Law, Sophs - Benson, Brown and Falzon. Three balanced classes of three and 1 class of 2 which could increase to 3 or 4. It is premature to say that NU will not fill their last two scholarships but that is where you like to jump in Mr. Premature.

As for NU's football team, they lost to no. 2 or 3 OSU (11-1), no. 8 UW (10-3); no. 12-15 WMU (13-0), no. 24 UNL 9-3, Minny 9-4 and ISU 6-6. Yes, you focus on the worse loss, of course. But the other losses were against solid teams. The way the finished has caused one pundit BTN's J. Leyman to predict NU will win the Western Division next season. So I will choose to focus on the 6-3 finish of the season with a win over Pitt in the Pinstripe Bowl and you will focus on their worst loss in Game 2. So predictable for BOM.

Just finished your shift at Ignoramus "R" Us BOM. My point was that RI has four years of eligibility left and that means he and Gaines have 4 years of eligibility left. So they are grouped together. For 2017 season, the roster is as follows: Seniors - McIntosh. Lindsey, Skelly, Juniors - Pardon, Ash, Law, Sophs - Benson, Brown and Falzon. Three balanced classes of three and 1 class of 2 which could increase to 3 or 4. It is premature to say that NU will not fill their last two scholarships but that is where you like to jump in Mr. Premature.

As for NU's football team, they lost to no. 2 or 3 OSU (11-1), no. 8 UW (10-3); no. 12-15 WMU (13-0), no. 24 UNL 9-3, Minny 9-4 and ISU 6-6. Yes, you focus on the worse loss, of course. But the other losses were against solid teams. The way the finished has caused one pundit BTN's J. Leyman to predict NU will win the Western Division next season. So I will choose to focus on the 6-3 finish of the season with a win over Pitt in the Pinstripe Bowl and you will focus on their worst loss in Game 2. So predictable for BOM.

Good heavens, did you see the WMU game? We just gave that game away like we did against Illinois State. Illinois State is about the worst game I've ever seen NU play in 20 years. It's small comfort to me to know that WMU is ranked. We should have been at least 8-4 this year. Fitz did a great job preparing for the Pinstripe Bowl, but he's got to figure a way for the team to be prepared at the start of the season like they were in 2015. To be fair, I suspect injuries hindered proper preparation at the start this year.

Deep thoughts by the most frequent naysayer:

4) NU will not hold onto scholarships and get a class of two freshmen and maybe three frosh. The program will not get a 5th year transfer. Remember they tried that with Canyon Berry.

Hopefully, that helps out with some naysayers' basketball education.

Throw back Wednesday for my little friend. The same kiddo that forgot about some big guy from VTech apparently....or it was before his time...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT