ADVERTISEMENT

Jabrill Peppers Body Chemistry

What is a "diluted blood sample"? I mean I understand all the words, but what does it mean in terms of PED use or recreational drug use?

What is a "diluted blood sample"? I mean I understand all the words, but what does it mean in terms of PED use or recreational drug use?

It means that there is a good chance that if he didn't dilute his urine, something would have shown up on the drug test......

It means that there is a good chance that if he didn't dilute his urine, something would have shown up on the drug test......
My guess would be recreational drugs.

PED use probably would require a blood sample rather than urine.

He is now subject to 10-12 random drug tests a month as long as he's in the NFL. Maybe the Michigan education isn't what it used to be. Or maybe there is a class for athletes titled "how to lose two million dollars in 24 hours"

Not that I have a great reason to defend Peppers but so far from what I have read they have only proven that he had diluted urine from over hydrating.

At least that is the story.

Reactions: Aging Booster
Not that I have a great reason to defend Peppers but so far from what I have read they have only proven that he had diluted urine from over hydrating.

Yep, so there's no evidence him of doping or doing drugs. It is suspicious, though. This entire situation could be avoided if the NFL had a half-competent drug testing policy.* Why not just re-test the next day? If he was monitored and re-tested any banned substances would still show up!

* Assuming the NFL actually wants to catch people doping or doing drugs

What would be the reason for overhydrating? And how dilute was his urine? If gets down to 1.002, for no reason, that's overhydrating. If it gets up really high, 1.050 or higher, either the measuring device is broken (not) but that he ingested some radiologic dye for a test. No matter the cause, repeating it the next day would have been ideal in the best of all possible worlds. Yeah, UM is a great academic school and students are taught. But that doesn't guarantee learning!! Losing a great deal of $$$, however, is not easily forgotten. Now that's LEARNING!! And it's an open book test, self learned/taught result.

What would be the reason for overhydrating? And how dilute was his urine? If gets down to 1.002, for no reason, that's overhydrating. If it gets up really high, 1.050 or higher, either the measuring device is broken (not) but that he ingested some radiologic dye for a test. No matter the cause, repeating it the next day would have been ideal in the best of all possible worlds. Yeah, UM is a great academic school and students are taught. But that doesn't guarantee learning!! Losing a great deal of $$$, however, is not easily forgotten. Now that's LEARNING!! And it's an open book test, self learned/taught result.
Per ESPN and other sources, Peppers was reportedly feeling ill and drank 8-10 bottles of water prior to his drills in an attempt to hydrate/recover. Eight bottles seems like a lot, but over a several hour period I'm guessing it's quite doable for an elite athlete. It should be noted that the same exact thing happened to Reuben Foster (another potential first-round pick out of Alabama). So yes, it's suspicious, but I also put some of the blame on the NFL's drug testing policy.

Per ESPN and other sources, Peppers was reportedly feeling ill and drank 8-10 bottles of water prior to his drills in an attempt to hydrate/recover. Eight bottles seems like a lot, but over a several hour period I'm guessing it's quite doable for an elite athlete. It should be noted that the same exact thing happened to Reuben Foster (another potential first-round pick out of Alabama). So yes, it's suspicious, but I also put some of the blame on the NFL's drug testing policy.

I believe another guy who got hit with the same "diluted sample" situation said he was drinking lots of water to keep his weight up for his weigh in, since he was potentially seen as too small.

Joel Klatt on The Herd was saying that Peppers had a history of cramping, plus was performing combine drills for two positions which was why he was hydrating so much. He also said that this level of hydration is not uncommon for athletes in similar circumstances. A diluted sample means that the amount of creatinine is below certain levels. He blamed the testing procedure - if the lab tech saw the urine was clear, he should have told Peppers to come back six hours later to do the test.

Joel Klatt on The Herd was saying that Peppers had a history of cramping, plus was performing combine drills for two positions which was why he was hydrating so much. He also said that this level of hydration is not uncommon for athletes in similar circumstances. A diluted sample means that the amount of creatinine is below certain levels. He blamed the testing procedure - if the lab tech saw the urine was clear, he should have told Peppers to come back six hours later to do the test.

He should be just a number to the lab tech. Telling him to come back would be way above his pay grade

Foster was on Mike and Mike. He's not very big for a Mike LB.

Here is one draft analysis on Foster.

1. Rueben Foster, Alabama
The opinions are going to be mixed about him – especially after a positive drug test at the combine. He’s a gigantic hitter who can get all over the field and do big things as a pass rusher and in coverage. The problem? He’s a smallish 229 pounds, but that’s by design, getting lighter and faster. If he can hold up at this weight – and not get overpowered – he’ll be a stud in any defense.

Where He’ll Be Drafted: 1st Round

AWalk is ranked as the #3 ILB.

3. Anthony Walker, Northwestern
Special in all phases of his game – on the field – he’s an elite pass rusher, can crank up the power against the run, and is great in pass coverage. While he’s not the smoothest of athletes, it doesn’t matter – he produced at a high-level. The opinions on him are going to be all over the board. He’s a second-rounder in terms of production, a late-round flier on raw tools and smoothness.

Where He’ll Be Drafted: 4th Round

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/2017-nfl-draft-analysis-rankings-inside-linebackers

It all depends on what volume a bottle contains since there are anywhere from small (8 oz?) to a liter. Let's assume it's 16 oz, a common size. That's an enormous fluid load to drink, and then go on to do his drills. 160 oz is over 2 gallons!!! Su8spicious...sure. Not feeling well and doing it well nigh improbable. Don't you remember when you don't feel well and being asked to hydrate??? Gosh, drinking one bottle seemed hard. Ten times that (okay let's say 8 times...that's still a lot to consume). I've consumed that amount over the course of walking a golf course in extremely hot weather, but was over 4 hours, and not all at once. Just seems improbable for both the reason and the ability to do so if "not feeling well".

So why don't they just test JPep the day after? Or even today to see what/if he has something to hide? If he does, then that would literally make him one of the stupidest players in the draft/in its history.

So why don't they just test JPep the day after? Or even today to see what/if he has something to hide? If he does, then that would literally make him one of the stupidest players in the draft/in its history.

You would think there was some standard protocol but then there would be no story.

Drinking excessive amounts of water in a short time can actually increase the chance of muscle cramps. Dilutional hyponatremia results in lowered sodium levels in the blood, and can also cause weakness, confusion, and in rare cases death. An entrant in a recent Chicago Marathon (who I believe was a physician) succumbed to this. Well intentioned preventive hydration can have negative outcomes.

Drinking excessive amounts of water in a short time can actually increase the chance of muscle cramps. Dilutional hyponatremia results in lowered sodium levels in the blood, and can also cause weakness, confusion, and in rare cases death. An entrant in a recent Chicago Marathon (who I believe was a physician) succumbed to this. Well intentioned preventive hydration can have negative outcomes.
I remember reading about that Doctor who did that.

Good point, So the probability is that he hadn't drank that much, just enough to get to a very dilute state.

It's stupid that weed is banned in the first place. If alcohol and cigarettes are legal, then why isn't weed? Much heathier for you and not addictive. And no one every decided they'd assault someone or do other felonies when high like they do when they drink too much alcohol.

Should be legal nationally.

I agree that weed should be legal. I am not a user myself- I just think it should be legal for anyone who wants to use it medically or just to make life more interesting if that is what they need. Also- there is literally a gold mine in the idea of taxing the hell out of it for the local and national governments. Better than lotteries and taxes on things that should not be taxed. I was in Colorado last summer. From what I understand, they are baking themselves in the high state taxes on it. Probably would decrease crime too.

"Baking" and "high" in the same sentence. It's time for our legislators to wake up and smell the brownies.

I agree that weed should be legal. I am not a user myself- I just think it should be legal for anyone who wants to use it medically or just to make life more interesting if that is what they need. Also- there is literally a gold mine in the idea of taxing the hell out of it for the local and national governments. Better than lotteries and taxes on things that should not be taxed. I was in Colorado last summer. From what I understand, they are baking themselves in the high state taxes on it. Probably would decrease crime too.

Taxes and crime would be what I think they need to study.
It shouldn't cost any more to produce than tobacco and you could tax it at both the federal and local level. Regulate it like alcohol.
When I was a kid, in the late 60s and early 70's, the same guy that was selling pot was selling the other stuff. I know a lot has changed and I don't know anything about buying drugs anymore but anyone I knew who was doing more sophisticated stuff like purple microdots or speed started with pot so maybe if you could break the relationship chain at the "gateway" it would put a dent in the process. or not. hard to say.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT