ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Brunson

catcrazy

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2001
Boo Buies college career got me thinking of a dominant college basketball player who people thought would just be a great college player and at most be a reserve/bench player in the pros of play in Europe. He did not jump the highest or was the quickest player but he knows how to use his body to make space when driving to the bucket and has become a good three point shooter and a star in New York for a team which could win the NBA title. Boo has some of these same attributes and I can certainly see him take a similar professional path. Both players are extremely well liked, somewhat poo pooed by the media and have great court vision.

Boo Buies college career got me thinking of a dominant college basketball player who people thought would just be a great college player and at most be a reserve/bench player in the pros of play in Europe. He did not jump the highest or was the quickest player but he knows how to use his body to make space when driving to the bucket and has become a good three point shooter and a star in New York for a team which could win the NBA title. Boo has some of these same attributes and I can certainly see him take a similar professional path. Both players are extremely well liked, somewhat poo pooed by the media and have great court vision.
This is a good comp. Brunson is a bigger guy (weight wise) and has a post up game but nobody thought his game would translate to the NBA at a high level. I think Buie will need to integrate a pull up jumper in his game because I am not sure he will be able to score in the lane as much in the NBA. But he’s a good catch and shoot 3-point shooter and that’s something he would get a lot more of in the NBA. He would be playing with 3 or 4 other guys capable of creating shots for teammates instead of generating almost everything himself. Let’s hope he gets a chance.

Brunson was also a 5-star recruit...

Understood. He also turned pro after his junior year and was drafted early in the 2nd round. But he’s a star in the NBA. I am just hoping Buie gets a shot in the NBA. The comp gives me a little hope.

Unless something crazy happens the rest of the season (good or bad), Boo will definitely get his shot at the NBA. It will most likely look like working out for teams in the off season and playing summer league, but I'm confident he is being watched speculatively.

I don't see him being drafted tho.

This is a good comp. Brunson is a bigger guy (weight wise) and has a post up game but nobody thought his game would translate to the NBA at a high level. I think Buie will need to integrate a pull up jumper in his game because I am not sure he will be able to score in the lane as much in the NBA. But he’s a good catch and shoot 3-point shooter and that’s something he would get a lot more of in the NBA. He would be playing with 3 or 4 other guys capable of creating shots for teammates instead of generating almost everything himself. Let’s hope he gets a chance.
Hit it on the head. Boo needs a reliable midrange jumper to get into the Brunson conversation. Both are small guards who can score in bunches but when you're going against NBA wings/forwards/centers who don't bite as often on pumps/pivots, they'll send those mini hooks and scoops in to the rafters if Boo tries that.

I don’t know anything, but Boo looks like a NBA-type to me. Googling his name and ‘nba draft’ offers virtually no evaluations and a bunch of stories about him declaring and returning. So the hoops nerds *still* aren’t onto him. Maybe that changes when they update their sites this weekend 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

I could see Boo on the trajectory of Fred VanVleet. VanVleet was not a touted recruit, came from the distant outskirts of a hoops metropolis (Rockford versus Albany), was a four-year starter, and is of similar size.

The amazing thing is that VanVleet is a better pro than he was in college, where he was never his team’s leading scorer.

Boo is so so so so so so good.

To me Boo is like Tyus Jones, drafted by Minn. Played with Memphis as a backup and now with Washington.

Same type of body and game.

Unless NU makes a deep tourney run, will probably be invited to camp and catch on as a non drafted prospect. Plenty of them in the league.

Would love to see him succeed great person and player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT