ADVERTISEMENT

Jershon Cobb - new Director of Player Development

I was going to ask "what does a director of player development do?"

Then I decided that google was my friend.

https://hoopdirt.com/job/director-of-player-development-northwestern-university-full-time/

• School: Northwestern University
    Position: Director of Player Development
    Position Type: Full-time
    Salary: Minimum to Midpoint Salary: $57,068 - $76,090
    Organization: NCAA
    Level: Division I
    Conference: Big Ten
    Description:
    The Director of Player Development reports directly to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach. This individual is responsible for preparing student-athletes for personal, academic and athletic development success. This role is responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and NCAA.

Specific Responsibilities:
    • Analyze Northwestern and opponent film and collaborate with the coaches in preparation of competition strategy.
    • Chart and record statistics to forecast efforts for basketball plays, student-athletes and the team, providing advanced modeling of successful approaches to game strategy for the coaching staff.
    • Create and implement individual development plans to ensure student-athletes’ needs are addressed and met as they relate to academics and/or personal goals.
    • In conjunction with sports performance and sports medicine staffs, develop and monitor the conditioning and training program to enhance individual and team potential.
    • In collaboration with academic services, guide and promote the academic success of student-athletes, providing a positive atmosphere conducive to the social and academic growth of the student-athlete.
    • Under the direction of the basketball recruiting coordinator, review recruiting documentation, prepare general correspondence, and assist in all areas of recruiting as allowed by the NCAA according to Bylaw 11.7.2.
    • Performs other duties as assigned.
    Minimum Qualifications:
    • Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience
    • Previous experience coaching or playing at the collegiate level or working in an athletic department setting
    Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge and abilities)
    • Communication-Communicates strategically to achieve specific objectives (e.g., considers optimal “messaging” and timing of communication). Uses varied vehicles and opportunities to promote dialogue and develop shared understanding and consensus. Maintains continuous, open and consistent with others. Checks own understanding through paraphrasing and asking questions.
    • Judgment and Decision Making -Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
    • Problem Sensitivity -The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
    Preferred Qualifications:
    • Experience with intercollegiate basketball as a student-athlete or coach preferred.
    • Knowledge of NCAA, Big Ten Conference, University and Department rules and guidelines preferred.

Collins just sent out a tweet...
Fabulous news.

He had a difficult career at NU between multiple injuries and academic issues. Glad to see him pursuing a post-grad basketball career.

I was at the game in the Garden when the St. Johns thug probably ruined his career. Sad night.

Reactions: ricko654321
It's kind of amazing the amount of support these 14 guys get.....4 coaches, player development assistant, plus tutors and strength & conditioning and nutrition. And a degree at the end from a top 10 University. Competing in one of the premier conferences. In a brand new practice facility and state of the art arena. No a bad deal.

My favorite Jershon Cobb moment was the away game at MSU his frosh year....less than two minutes in the game and MSU was up by like ten....felt like the game was over.....Cobb hit a three....stole the ball on the inbounds....and hit a second three. As a frosh. Izzo called a timeout and went Mt. Vesuvius on his team. The rest was exciting for NU, but not satisfying.

He did a ton for NU and I wish him the best in this position.

Let’s get some GA recruits!
I realize this was written in jest, but...
Decatur (Cobb’s hometown) and Powder Springs (Jared Jones’ hometown) are basically opposite sides of downtown. That said, ATL is a relatively small hoops city, so I imagine sure they have mutual acquaintances.

I’m very happy about this hire.

It's cool to see him come back, just like it was cool to see Venric Mark come back. Those are guys who went through a lot here and should certainly be able to offer guidance to current players.

I too am happy to see Jershon in this role.

Reactions: ricko654321
I always like it when programs bring back "their guys," even if they're not the most well qualified (I'm not saying AT ALL that Cobb isn't qualified ... just a generic description).

It's one of the things I always liked about what Carmody did.

Bringing people back to the program is just one of those classic culture-building things about college sports that is so easy to retain in the dog-eat-dog world of big revenue.

Good to see Cobb back.

I realize this was written in jest, but...
Decatur (Cobb’s hometown) and Powder Springs (Jared Jones’ hometown) are basically opposite sides of downtown. That said, ATL is a relatively small hoops city, so I imagine sure they have mutual acquaintances.

I’m very happy about this hire.

Not at all in jest...need more Georgia Peaches at NU!

It's kind of amazing the amount of support these 14 guys get.....4 coaches, player development assistant, plus tutors and strength & conditioning and nutrition. And a degree at the end from a top 10 University. Competing in one of the premier conferences. In a brand new practice facility and state of the art arena. No a bad deal.

No NU is a greedy dirty university just like the rest that treats their plays like “bull****”!!!

Happy to see Cobb back!

Had a soft spot for Cobb (kudos for him to work thru his academic issue, instead of giving up and transferring to someplace easier).

Always felt that Jershon would have been a Top 10 'Cat (going back to my days) if he had been able to stay healthy.

Not only was Cobb a + on the defensive end, he could drive to the basket and create his own shot (best step-back jumper on the team).

This job should have brought a lot of applicants. High praise to Jershon that HE walked away with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT