ADVERTISEMENT

Bricks near the Wildcat statue are doomed

NU-Dog

Aug 18, 2005
For many years, I have had two bricks near the Wildcat statue. I purchased one in my name when they first became avaialble, then I purchased a second one in my daughter’s name when she graduated from NU. I’m sure I’m not alone in stating the purchased bricks were more than just a donation to NU. They were a gesture aimed at posterity.

I had hoped that everyone’s bricks would be transferred to the new stadium, either inside or just outside the facility. But today, I was advised by NU Asst. VP and Deputy Director of Athletics Jesse Marks that the bricks have been “salvaged” and will be returned to donors later this spring.

This is very disappointing, and I asked Marks what my daughter and I were supposed to do with the bricks after they are sent back. He wrote, “People usually enjoy having them on display in their office or home.” I’m not so sure about that.

I'm fine with that. I'll put it in my garden. Wonder how deep they are?

I'm sure there will be opportunities in the new stadium for something similar.

I'm meeting my rep next week for the new stadium dog & pony show. Wonder if he'll bring it lol.

Last edited:
One wonders why they couldn't have found a space for them in the new stadium. I would have preferred that. Have no idea what Ill do with mine, maybe gift it back to my wife.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
For many years, I have had two bricks near the Wildcat statue. I purchased one in my name when they first became avaialble, then I purchased a second one in my daughter’s name when she graduated from NU. I’m sure I’m not alone in stating the purchased bricks were more than just a donation to NU. They were a gesture aimed at posterity.

I had hoped that everyone’s bricks would be transferred to the new stadium, either inside or just outside the facility. But today, I was advised by NU Asst. VP and Deputy Director of Athletics Jesse Marks that the bricks have been “salvaged” and will be returned to donors later this spring.

This is very disappointing, and I asked Marks what my daughter and I were supposed to do with the bricks after they are sent back. He wrote, “People usually enjoy having them on display in their office or home.” I’m not so sure about that.

Pathetic. Can these guys get anything right?

Perhaps the perpetually placed bricks could be relocated to the perpetually named Dyche Stadium?

I don't personally see this as a big deal, but that's an answer to the argument on both sides - clearly people purchased these with some hope and meaning at heart, and it would hardly be difficult to incorporate them into the new structure (while also not forsaking the purchase of new bricks). Maybe there's an industry standard around this? Shrug.

Yes, just another leadership misstep that probably would have been a pretty easy win for Gragg.

What's becoming more evident to me...it wouldn't surprise me, nor would I fault Gragg himself for being personally unaware or unconcerned about these bricks. What's alarming is this guy has been on the job for years - he's got a ton of experienced, longtime department employees at his disposal and none of them are going to any trouble to be his eyes and ears on the ground to look after details like these (or they ARE and he's disregarding the help). Either way...bad.

I don't personally see this as a big deal, but that's an answer to the argument on both sides - clearly people purchased these with some hope and meaning at heart, and it would hardly be difficult to incorporate them into the new structure (while also not forsaking the purchase of new bricks). Maybe there's an industry standard around this? Shrug.

Yes, just another leadership misstep that probably would have been a pretty easy win for Gragg.

What's becoming more evident to me...it wouldn't surprise me, nor would I fault Gragg himself for being personally unaware or unconcerned about these bricks. What's alarming is this guy has been on the job for years - he's got a ton of experienced, longtime department employees at his disposal and none of them are going to any trouble to be his eyes and ears on the ground to look after details like these (or they ARE and he's disregarding the help). Either way...bad.
Or maybe, just maybe… our athletic department has always been full of incompetence and it’s finally bubbling to the top?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT