ADVERTISEMENT

My first NU bowl game—and memorable!

montana_cat

Aug 31, 2001
After leaving Evanston in 1974, I got to four Wildcat football games, two at Ryan Field and two on the road (1996, Durham, NC, a post-Rose Bowl win over Duke, and the forgettable 2002 loss to Air Force at Colorado Springs). Living in Montana has its rewards, but air fare to just about anywhere comes at highway robbery rates. And while I’ve retired comfortably, I’m not one of the rich NU alums.

Also memorable: being in the stands at Buckeye Stadium in 1971 when the Cats beat Woody Hayes and Ohio State.

So, making the jaunt from Billings to Las Vegas for the Northwestern-Utah game proved to be one of the finest experiences of a Wildcat-watching saga that started in the fall of 1969. An NU buddy, watching the game on TV somewhere in the Chicago area, texted me that he watched a “nice NU win.” Nice? It was terrific! Ben Bryant and his supporting cast coming up with the clutch fourth-quarter TD to put the game away. And the lights-out defense? Wow!

We’ve got the best young coach in America. And we’ve won five straight bowl games going back to the 2016 Pinstripe Bowl win over Pittsburgh. We’re near the top in that category in the Big Ten and close ton the best in the country.

Frosting on the cake was attending the pregame function at Mandalay Bay where, by chance, I met the grandparents of Ben Bryant, who live in the Tucson area. Our conversation was delightful. And Ben’s grandfather stated Ben’s belief that the team with the most desire usually wins. Nothing against Utah, a program I highly respect, but this year’s Cats were oozing with desire. And it showed throughout the season and today.

Happy holidays, fellow diehard NU faithful folks. Mine already is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT