ADVERTISEMENT

JHU to B1G

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Johns Hopkins will join B1G as an affiliate member in Men's Lacrosse-this will give B1G 6 teams and an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Once the new indoor facility is built, I believe NU should consider men's lacrosse-this could be at the expense of baseball

Prop 9 makes it unlikely in the near term, but I can see NU adding the sport sometime down the road once it finishes with the upgrades for FB and when the BB programs get on track and get their upgrades as well.

As much $$ as NU gets for its share of the B1G take (which will only increase), there is no reason for NU to only offer 19 varsity sports when schools like Stanford and Duke offer a good bit more programs.

With the B1G likely adding a payout for schools that have lax programs (like it will be doing for the schools that have hockey programs) and NU already having the lax facilities in place, it would be much easier and cheaper for NU to add men's lax instead of say, hockey (can add women's crew to balance things out which will help the men's club program).

Lax is a popular and growing sport in the NE region - which has the biggest concentration of high achieving students that NU is competing for with most of the top high schools having lax programs.

what are good options for women's teams where we could be successful given out academic standing and limited investment in facilities? the big issue is lax is a full scholarship sport i believe. looking at some other schools

crew?
water polo?
competitive cheer?
sailing?
gymnastics?

To kinda-sorta-quote Turk on the football board, there ain't no money for no women's water polo, no women's sailing, no nothing!

Originally posted by haywood jahblowme:
what are good options for women's teams where we could be successful given out academic standing and limited investment in facilities? the big issue is lax is a full scholarship sport i believe. looking at some other schools

crew?
water polo?
competitive cheer?
sailing?
gymnastics?
Men's lacrosse has 12.6 team scholarships-so a 40 man squad will divide the 12.6 into ` 25-33% scholarships per player-that still leaves a hefty family commitment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT