ADVERTISEMENT

Joesph

"The reason I was in the transfer portal was to join one of the best defenses in the country, I wanted to be surrounded by great players and great coaches that can take my game to the next level," Joseph explained. "That is why Notre Dame is a great fit.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
"The reason I was in the transfer portal was to join one of the best defenses in the country, I wanted to be surrounded by great players and great coaches that can take my game to the next level," Joseph explained. "That is why Notre Dame is a great fit.
Naive. Only Brandon can take his game to the next level. What the people around him can do is mask his weaknesses. His NU teammates and coaches were able to do that in 2020 but not in 2021. Brandon took the easy way out because it was more expedient to find a program where his weaknesses could once again be masked than to put in the work necessary to truly become a great all around safety. That’s disappointing for me to see.

Last edited:
Naive. Only Brandon can take his game to the next level. What the people around him can do is mask his weaknesses. His NU teammates and coaches were able to do that in 2020 but not in 2021. Brandon took the easy way out because it was more expedient to find a program where his weaknesses could once again be masked than to put in the work necessary to truly become a great all around safety. That’s disappointing for me to see.
F'n stop this narrative. I'm sick of it!!! I can tell you never seen dominoes

Bad enough he left..but that statement really throws NU under the bus.....ugghhh

Reactions: Go Catz
F'n stop this narrative. I'm sick of it!!! I can tell you never seen dominoes
I don’t care at all what you are sick of. This is what i believe and I will rebut any attempt by Joseph or others to largely attribute the shortcomings in his game to his teammates, coaches, NU or anybody but himself. That’s exactly what he is doing in a backhanded way with this statement. I don’t like it at all.

I don’t care at all what you are sick of. This is what i believe and I will rebut any attempt by Joseph or others to largely attribute the shortcomings in his game to his teammates, coaches, NU or anybody but himself. That’s exactly what he is doing in a backhanded way with this tweet. I don’t like it at all.
You will, until he returns to form at ND.

I don’t care at all what you are sick of. This is what i believe and I will rebut any attempt by Joseph or others to largely attribute the shortcomings in his game to his teammates, coaches, NU or anybody but himself. That’s exactly what he is doing in a backhanded way with this statement. I don’t like it at all.
Well prepare to see Joseph get in that 3-3 Stack and look like the all-American that he is. Hate all that you like.

You will, until he returns to form at ND.
LOL. Are you naive enough to think his teammates and coaches at ND will make him a better and willing tackler? Hilarious. All they’ll do is make sure he is not put in a position to tackle. That may fool meathead fans but it won’t fool NFL scouts.

Brandon, you want to be a high NFL draft pick? Learn how to play in run support and show a willingness to tackle and pop ball carriers.

Well prepare to see Joseph get in that 3-3 Stack and look like the all-American that he is. Hate all that you like.
Like I said, good player if you all ask him to do is stay in centerfield and play the pass. Hide him in run support because he doesn’t like to tackle and it shows. The NFL scouts know this. They won’t be fooled.

LOL. Are you naive enough to think his teammates and coaches at ND will make him a better and willing tackler? Hilarious. All they’ll do is make sure he is not put in a position to tackle. That may fool meathead fans but it won’t fool NFL scouts.

Brandon, you want to be a high NFL draft pick? Learn how to play in run support and show a willingness to tackle and pop ball carriers.
You can have the last word for the next 11 months. Then, one of us can have a plate of crow. I bet he lights it up over there.

Like I said, good player if you all ask him to do is stay in centerfield and play the pass. Hide him in run support because he doesn’t like to tackle and it shows. The NFL scouts know this. They won’t be fooled.
I'll bet you, you call it, Joseph will be a NFL safety taken no later mid second round.

I'll bet you, you call it, Joseph will be a NFL safety taken no later mid second round.
No chance unless HE decides he wants to be a complete safety and shows a willingness and aptitude playing the run. Absent that, 4th or 5th round is my best guess. He could have left this year and been a 5th round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: HappyNUyear
Bet it Boss or walk with that talk!
LOL, online bets are dumb. Bet what? How is anybody going to collect? I've made my feelings known, you have yours. I am sure when the time comes, this conversation won't be forgotten. The satisfaction of one of us being right and the other being wrong is the only thing either of us is going to get.

You see, 80 tackles isn't enough for Corbi, instead let's focus on the, say, 10 he missed and say he is a suck tackler. For sure it had nothing to do with JON'S schemes. /s.

I too think he will "rehab" this year and be 1st or 2nd round. Meantime Jon's shitshow cost him a year's NFL salary

Hell, put him at wideout, PR, whatever. Dude oozes talent..

You see, 80 tackles isn't enough for Corbi, instead let's focus on the, say, 10 he missed and say he is a suck tackler. For sure it had nothing to do with JON'S schemes. /s.

I too think he will "rehab" this year and be 1st or 2nd round. Meantime Jon's shitshow cost him a year's NFL salary

What you and I think does not mean squat. What matters, especially to Brandon, is what the NFL evaluation committee thinks. The evaluation they delivered to Brandon literally the day before he announced his intention to transfer is more consistent with my current view of him as a player than anybody who thinks he has shown the skills necessary to be a 1st or 2nd day NFL pick. If the NFL felt that way, Joseph would have declared for the NFL draft this year rather than transfer to ND. Either way, he never intended to come back to NU.

He was asked to play primarily run support on a very porous defense last year where his strength is being a ball hawk. He was an all-American when he was playing to that strength. It's HIS weakness and not the weakness of one of the worst defenses in the nation last year (as opposed to one of the best in the previous year)?

He was asked to play primarily run support on a very porous defense last year where his strength is being a ball hawk. He was an all-American when he was playing to that strength. It's HIS weakness and not the weakness of one of the worst defenses in the nation last year (as opposed to one of the best in the previous year)?

Agree. But, if he wants to be a high round NFL draft pick, it's a weakness he'll need to address rather than mask.

Agree. But, if he wants to be a high round NFL draft pick, it's a weakness he'll need to address rather than mask.
He likely will. It's also a NIL issue, an area we will continue to lag behind (especially if we lose All-Americans).

I liked it better when Notre Dame was Northwestern’s farm system. Where have you gone, Zak Kustok, Wildcat Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.
The difference is we got guys from them that we’re looking for playing time. They’re getting starters from us.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin and CatQ
The difference is we got guys from them that we’re looking for playing time. They’re getting starters from us.
I don't fault Skowronek or Joseph for leaving us for ND. Still doesn't sting any less and, since they are a team we recruit against, I'm afraid it will hurt us in that area,

Corbi is loud about this one but he isn’t entirely wrong. Joseph was overall “just OK” last year, decent in pass defense and pretty bad in run defense. He was both not nearly physical enough and took WAAYYY too many poor angles. The optics of his departure are worse than the on-field impact at this point.

He likely will. It's also a NIL issue, an area we will continue to lag behind (especially if we lose All-Americans).
He could have just as easily done that at NU. The part I like the least about all this is the implication, which with Joseph's statement is not even subtle anymore, that Brandon attributes his sub par draft evaluation to not being surrounded by great teammates and coaches at NU. Not only is that inaccurate but I find it offensive. A backhanded, low class move in my opinion.

Reactions: Catmosphere

There isn’t a defense in the world that can mask all of a player’s weaknesses forever. Turns out playing safety is a whole lot harder when you don’t have a good front seven and JR Pace to make all the defensive calls. Honestly Coco was the better of our two starting safeties by the end of the year.

Here’s the thing. If BJo played like last year he’d be leaving for the draft. So either way I think he’d be gone after this season. His veiled comments though are definitely a shot at NU coaching staff, and his teammates.

Bet him for screen names. Been done twice before. The Board will enforce. Renegs aren’t well taken anywhere. Challenge him. He will dodge as he knows more than us that he is always wrong. Always.

Corbi is loud about this one but he isn’t entirely wrong. Joseph was overall “just OK” last year, decent in pass defense and pretty bad in run defense. He was both not nearly physical enough and took WAAYYY too many poor angles. The optics of his departure are worse than the on-field impact at this point.
This is basically exactly right, and I’d add that the on field impact is still considerable. His play was underwhelming, but we aren’t in a position to be shedding adequate starters in general, and a bounce back year from an all American is the sort of thing we’d need to have happen if we wanted to see a fast return to form. Now, we just have a big hole at that spot.

Great… to Norte Dame
Cograts to him for finding a team that wins and has a commitment to winning. He'll surely enjoy the games more next season on a very competitive team.

I sure hate to see NU lose players. To me, this is another player that has been chased away. Harbaugh chases players away intentionally. Fitz chases players away unintentionally. Fitz refuses to see what's happening, but departing players send a message.

You guys can bicker all you want and put the blame on him or not, but a kid with his name on Ryan field just said he’s leaving for better players and coaches. Absolutely devastating.

Bet him for screen names. Been done twice before. The Board will enforce. Renegs aren’t well taken anywhere. Challenge him. He will dodge as he knows more than us that he is always wrong. Always.
Corbi, the stakes have been stated! Let's go on Brandon!!

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2

I mean Corbi has a decent point, and others (including me) observed that BJo missed a good number of tackles this past year as well. It was pretty noticeable from the Michigan game onward - too many times where he made an aggressive move downhill and then totally whiffed. BJo was still great in coverage last year, and I Corbi is taking unnecessary shots at the kid for justifiably wanting to leave to get to a place where he can better improve his NFL draft prospects in a better defensive scheme, but there is merit to his observation.

I am with phatcat in that I wish we had moved on from JON after 1 year, if we had we might still have BJo on our roster. For now though, I guess I will hope for drastic defensive improvement in year 2 under his leadership.

In the DC's defense on this one, if we didn't have our safeties provide run support then we were getting torched up front last year. Now that might be in part because the run fits in the front 7 were hurt by over-complicated or ineffective scheme, but it also was in part that our front 7 was just getting beaten. When that happens, you need your safeties to help. Also, in that situation BJo was being wasted sitting back in high coverage all day with no one throwing near him - trying to find other ways for him make an impact on the game sounds like a smart idea to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT