ADVERTISEMENT

John Moten

Hopefully he and Long will take away carries from JJ but that will take some doing.

Odds are, all three will be needed. JJTBC has been amazingly durable, can it last for another 250+ carry season?
Started this past season with JJ+WL. Fast forward to Jackson+Long+Moten = A huge upside. Just another reason to be excited about next season. Get bigger-faster and stay healthy. What a huge support system for Thorson. Did I say HUGE!

Started this past season with JJ+WL. Fast forward to Jackson+Long+Moten = A huge upside. Just another reason to be excited about next season. Get bigger-faster and stay healthy. What a huge support system for Thorson. Did I say HUGE!

I've said it before and I still think that Long's injury is why we lost those first two games. I think he was supposed to be an intricate part of the offense and losing him set back the plan and the psyche of the offense back a couple of weeks. Long is a really good running back and had he not been injured we would have heard a lot about NW's dangerous running back tandem. Part of the scheme would have been to replace Vatalie and the drop off at Superback. I think we will be pleased with our offense in 2017 if Long has been able to grow off the field in strength and speed.

Reactions: CatFanEd
I've said it before and I still think that Long's injury is why we lost those first two games. I think he was supposed to be an intricate part of the offense and losing him set back the plan and the psyche of the offense back a couple of weeks. Long is a really good running back and had he not been injured we would have heard a lot about NW's dangerous running back tandem. Part of the scheme would have been to replace Vatalie and the drop off at Superback. I think we will be pleased with our offense in 2017 if Long has been able to grow off the field in strength and speed.
Meh. We got pwned! at the LOS in those game. I am not sure how much a difference WML would have made.

That said, l greatly look forward to having him back. There will not be enough carries to go around, so I am hoping McCall has some innovations to get them more involved in the passing game. Moten looks like he can be pretty dangerous on wheel routes. JJ in isolation is very dangerous, but we mostly throw to him behind the LOS. I wonder if that can change.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Moten may have to wait one more year for his breakout year, but this guy will be a VERY important cog his last two seasons. Has all B1G potential. The great thing is there is even more depth behind the 3 that will see the bulk of the work.

I think there is some truth in this. Warren Long and JJ both are pretty good pass blockers...JM not so good early on. He even mentioned in the article that he was working on that. I think you might have seen a two back alignment with JJ in a passing route with WL in to block. Also WL in to block on obvious pass plays giving JJ a little more rest.

This is a really impressive trio of running backs. No question. The question, as it has been for the last several years, is OL.

This is a really impressive trio of running backs. No question. The question, as it has been for the last several years, is OL.

The OL isn't a question for next year. Based on past performance we will see a below average line, as always. Same coaching, same players, same result.

I think there is some truth in this. Warren Long and JJ both are pretty good pass blockers...JM not so good early on. He even mentioned in the article that he was working on that. I think you might have seen a two back alignment with JJ in a passing route with WL in to block. Also WL in to block on obvious pass plays giving JJ a little more rest.

That was what I was thinking. Maybe it doesn't work this way but it seems to me that if you had been developing a two back offense you could run a lot of deception where the Opposing D wouldn't know who was going out of the back field and who was going to block or which way the option was going to go. Blocking schemes would be this or that and you practice for this all summer. Then you lose Long, who everyone has a ton of faith in (maybe too much) and back to last year's system which you haven't practiced since last year. We depend on certain guys and yes, you have to go to the next man up but, we don't have that kind of depth yet and it takes some of the enthusiasm away to lose those playmakers.

The OL isn't a question for next year. Based on past performance we will see a below average line, as always. Same coaching, same players, same result.

Don't disagree, unfortunately ( but I hope we're both wrong ). Either way, Fitz --not McCall, not Cushing--owns the result. It's "on him." Let's see what happens.

Don't disagree, unfortunately ( but I hope we're both wrong ). Either way, Fitz --not McCall, not Cushing--owns the result. It's "on him." Let's see what happens.

Do disagree. Four starters back ( including Butler); opportunity for unit to get stronger and work together through Spring along with the influx of the redshirt frosh will provide much needed depth & competition which will result in an improved OL. Very much looking forward to watching Oxley, Meyler and Vogel contribute in 2017.

And what was wrong with the OL production in the bowl game? I thought the line improved as the year went on. Against Minnesota, it was bad, but Washington State had the same problems we did so maybe it was what they were doing well. I also watched the Wisconsin-Minny game and the Gophers defense had them ahead until Mitch began throwing INTs late in the game. We lost two important seniors before the season even started and Mahoney and Olsen just weren't as good. After going 6-3 in last 9 games, I'm willing to see how they come together next year.

And what was wrong with the OL production in the bowl game? I thought the line improved as the year went on. Against Minnesota, it was bad, but Washington State had the same problems we did so maybe it was what they were doing well. I also watched the Wisconsin-Minny game and the Gophers defense had them ahead until Mitch began throwing INTs late in the game. We lost two important seniors before the season even started and Mahoney and Olsen just weren't as good. After going 6-3 in last 9 games, I'm willing to see how they come together next year.

What was wrong? They were still pretty awful in pass protection.

What was wrong? They were still pretty awful in pass protection.
Didn't we have over 200 yards passing, and what about the game winning play where Thorson had to wait for Dickerson to come across the field? Not saying it was great but to go 4 for4 on 4th down is pretty telling, no?

Didn't we have over 200 yards passing, and what about the game winning play where Thorson had to wait for Dickerson to come across the field? Not saying it was great but to go 4 for4 on 4th down is pretty telling, no?

From memory, most of those were short yardage. The OL still struggled pretty mightily in pass protection.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Meh. We got pwned! at the LOS in those game. I am not sure how much a difference WML would have made.

That said, l greatly look forward to having him back. There will not be enough carries to go around, so I am hoping McCall has some innovations to get them more involved in the passing game. Moten looks like he can be pretty dangerous on wheel routes. JJ in isolation is very dangerous, but we mostly throw to him behind the LOS. I wonder if that can change.

For as lousy as they played, the WMU game was very winnable without the fumble at the 1-yard line.

Pretty amazing that Moten has gotten to play behind 2 all-time greats successively in HS and now in college.

Here's to Moten putting up the same # as his predecessor in college, as he did in HS.

The same ol' cynical shit. I disagree. OL and DL players make the most improvement of any position group over their careers through weight training and experience. If the OL works hard in the offseason on getting stronger (!!) and improving balance, quickness (which should improve with proper weight training) and agility, there should be a notable improvement. Key to this, I feel, is having guys healthy during winter workouts and Spring ball instead of having a bunch of guys recovering from surgery. That appears to be the case going into the offseason.

This may seem crazy, and I've held this thought all season until here, but if our DT's like Wyatt, Miller, Thompson, and Saunders get stronger, I would love to move Lancaster to OG or C. He was a great natural center coming out of high school and I think that would be his best position in the NFL. I expect him to switch to the OL in the NFL. He's very stout at DT, but he lacks the speed and explosiveness to excel at DT in college and the NFL, IMO. Put him in at OG and watch him stone pass rushing DT's (rather than getting pushed back i into the QB like in the Pinstripe Bowl) and open holes for JJ et al.

The OL did pass block OK at times, but the OG's were being pushed backward on rails on many passing plays. The odd thing to me watching the game is that those Pitt DT's who were generating push up the middle were also getting blown off the ball on 3rd or 4th and short yardage running plays.

The OL did pass block OK at times, but the OG's were being pushed backward on rails on many passing plays. The odd thing to me watching the game is that those Pitt DT's who were generating push up the middle were also getting blown off the ball on 3rd or 4th and short yardage running plays.

It is a little odd, isn't it? Our OL seems to have decent power when coming off the ball run blocking, but a lot of trouble anchoring in pass protection. I don't have an answer for it, just kind of illogical.

Do you have any explanation for that?

It is a little odd, isn't it? Our OL seems to have decent power when coming off the ball run blocking, but a lot of trouble anchoring in pass protection. I don't have an answer for it, just kind of illogical.
Those are two very different physical routines, right? The balance and agility required to step back, set and absorb force is much different than what is needed to push the plow.

Those are two very different physical routines, right? The balance and agility required to step back, set and absorb force is much different than what is needed to push the plow.

Exactly, but there's such a difference in relative performance that it's a little perplexing.

The guard position (and sometimes the center) combines the two with the agility and quickness required for pulling.

Exactly, but there's such a difference in relative performance that it's a little perplexing.
I guess it boils down to technique, or physical ability (or both). But I am really tempted to say it's mostly technique.

This is probably a poor analogy, but as a former ice hockey player (goal tender), the difference between skating forward and skating backwards is night and day. As a goalie, I really had to work on my balance and ability to change direction more than other players.

I guess it boils down to technique, or physical ability (or both). But I am really tempted to say it's mostly technique.

This is probably a poor analogy, but as a former ice hockey player (goal tender), the difference between skating forward and skating backwards is night and day. As a goalie, I really had to work on my balance and ability to change direction more than other players.

Played goalie myself growing up, so understand the pain... I absolutely hated the coach who made me go through all skating drills in full pads, but understood the method to the madness.

Reactions: Hungry Jack

As already mentioned, it seems that better technique/coaching would improve the pass protection. Our guys aren't exactly 98 pound weaklings, and reportedly met or exceeded the targets of the strength and conditioning program.

As already mentioned, it seems that better technique/coaching would improve the pass protection. Our guys aren't exactly 98 pound weaklings, and reportedly met or exceeded the targets of the strength and conditioning program.

As the old saying goes, "the other guys are on scholarship for a reason."

As the old saying goes, "the other guys are on scholarship for a reason."

True. That's why one hopes that the strength coaches set the right performance goals for our linemen to be successful at this level. Which I assume they are. Which leaves us with the technique question.

True. That's why one hopes that the strength coaches set the right performance goals for our linemen to be successful at this level. Which I assume they are. Which leaves us with the technique question.

The players share a bit of the blame as well...

I don't think that sounds like a poor analogy at all. Very different muscle groups and control issues walking forward or backward. Our line men need to walk backward to class ;)

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about OL play .I watch other teams ,with talent no better than ours, block much more effectively on running plays. I think the way we line up our running back -shallow and still-limits his ability to "find" holes on inside running plays. JJ carried the ball 32 times in the Pinstripe Bowl and I bet half were for no gain or less than 2 yards. Pass protection ,on the other hand, seems to be universally problematic.

I will be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about OL play .I watch other teams ,with talent no better than ours, block much more effectively on running plays. I think the way we line up our running back -shallow and still-limits his ability to "find" holes on inside running plays. JJ carried the ball 32 times in the Pinstripe Bowl and I bet half were for no gain or less than 2 yards. Pass protection ,on the other hand, seems to be universally problematic.
If he gains 200+ yards in the game, I will take the smaller gains. BTW - it felt like more than half were at least 2 yards, but I might have had my purple tinted glasses on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT