ADVERTISEMENT

JON's seat should be an inferno right now; Bajakian's seat is hot as well.

zeek55

Nov 21, 2010
JON should have never been hired with his resume; this forum was full of skeptical posts when he was announced. Even if you ignore the message board/fans, the national media couldn't understand the hire. I get that Fitz may have thought the assistants weren't ready, but there had to be some other way. Fitz may have hired him due to their relationship back under Walk, but it was already obvious that he'd failed as a coordinator in the NFL, and he's a failure here as well.

3 years as DC in the NFL and a 4th year as DC here, he's fielded defenses that were among the worst at their level. And now this 5th year is looking like more of the same.

I liked the Bajakian hire, and it worked in 2020 with Ramsey at QB. Obviously, we've struggled to find a long-term solution at QB since Thorson left. Last year and the early part of this year show just how hard it is to generate functional offense. I think he deserves more time, but even he has to realize that the product on the field is not working.

There has to be changes after the worst loss of Fitz's career as HC. For 13 years, this program was carried by the stout defenses that Hank fielded. It covered up for years of offensive ineptitude. Even in 2019, that 3-9 team had a functional defense even if the offense was completely broken down going 3 and out most times it touched the ball.

It's unimaginable that JON could be able to coach a defense that could play at the level needed to win 7 or 8 Big Ten conference games in a year. What evidence over the last 15 games or his career would show otherwise? I just hope we don't have to see this for multiple more years before changes are made.

Was JON really just a buddy hire or was Fitz for some reason unsatisfied with Hank's approach and wanted to try something different?

Was JON really just a buddy hire or was Fitz for some reason unsatisfied with Hank's approach and wanted to try something different?
I think Fitz hoped that the program had institutionalized Hank's approach so that JON could slot in and just pick up a well-oiled defensive machine with assistants that had been under Hank for years.

Fitz was hoping to resuscitate JON's career and show that the program had built a great defensive staff. That was my understanding of the JON hire.

If anything, it was Fitz trying to prove that we could continue what Hank had here even without Hank.

But that obviously has not been the case.

Reactions: drewjin
^ You don't slot in and pick up a well-oiled defensive machine by entirely changing the scheme/type of play.

(Aranda did that as the DC hire for Wisky, but he's an excellent coach who knows how to use his personnel.)

Been grumbling about the O for years, with some here have brushed that off as Fitz was able to win the B1GW (let's face it, not exactly a difficult thing to do to win the B1G Turtle division) a couple of times (if the Cats had a slightly above avg O during those years, the Cats would have won more W titles and would have gotten one earlier).

Guess having a competent O is now pretty important to make up for the disaster that is a JON D.

Sure seems like a straight up buddy hire.
I mean can this really be the case? I know it seems like it, but seriously. Did Fitzgerald really give a DC position to someone with no real credentials for the job, no history of success, and despite all of the investment his players, the donors, the administration and the fans have made in this program , just because he was a buddy who needed a job?

But man, when you read this again:

Last edited:
I wonder how Marty Long would do as DC? NU should fire O'Neil today and give him a shot. Including the freedom to hire a couple coaches. After O'Neil, Fitz' ability to acquire top coaching talent is suspect, so let's hire a guy who was recruited by and learned at the feet of the Master.

Coach Jake has already shown that he can run an offense with a few great players, as he did with Ramsey. He has already been a great coach for NU. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about the punchless O he's been running lately.

I mean can this really be the case? I know it seems like it, but seriously. Did Fitzgerald really give a DC position to someone with no real credentials for the job, no history of success, and despite all of the investment his players, the donors, the administration and the fans have made in this program , just because he was a buddy who needed a job?

But man, when you read this again:

I don’t think it was “a buddy who needed a job” as much as “prioritized the previous relationship over pretty much everything else.”

not sure there is a practical difference here

Fair. More was thinking in terms of the direction of the process. Pretty sure it was Fitz calling JON saying “hey, you want a DC gig?” vs JON calling Fitz and saying “hey, I’m about to get shit canned and I know you have a DC gig open, can I have that job?”

Fair. More was thinking in terms of the direction of the process. Pretty sure it was Fitz calling JON saying “hey, you want a DC gig?” vs JON calling Fitz and saying “hey, I’m about to get shit canned and I know you have a DC gig open, can I have that job?”
This is so damning. We need some of the purple mafia out there in the sports world to start to question whether Fitz is getting complacent. I think it will happen if we turn in another 3-9 or worse season. All goodwill from Dublin is gone.

I would love to know if there was any other candidates considered. Probably was a sham hire like the first AD go around.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I would love to know if there was any other candidates considered. Probably was a sham hire like the first AD go around.

I, too, would love to know who else (if anyone) Fitz interviewed before JON was hired.

For instance, I’m about 98% sure Tommy Rees was under actual consideration when Bajakian was hired, but there was hesitation to hand over the reins of the offense to a pretty inexperienced guy as Fitz is aware offense is not his strong point. Bajakian made more sense in that he had more experience and could be a more independent OC.

It would be extremely tough to make a case for JON based only on his résumé.

I, too, would love to know who else (if anyone) Fitz interviewed before JON was hired.

For instance, I’m about 98% sure Tommy Rees was under actual consideration when Bajakian was hired, but there was hesitation to hand over the reins of the offense to a pretty inexperienced guy as Fitz is aware offense is not his strong point. Bajakian made more sense in that he had more experience and could be a more independent OC.

It would be extremely tough to make a case for JON based only on his résumé.
if defense is considered his strength, he has no excuses. To be brutally honest, maybe he is burnt out after 16 years. He has generational wealth and can do TV post his coaching career.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2
I wonder how Marty Long would do as DC? NU should fire O'Neil today and give him a shot. Including the freedom to hire a couple coaches. After O'Neil, Fitz' ability to acquire top coaching talent is suspect, so let's hire a guy who was recruited by and learned at the feet of the Master.

Coach Jake has already shown that he can run an offense with a few great players, as he did with Ramsey. He has already been a great coach for NU. I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about the punchless O he's been running lately.
I would pump the brakes on singing bajakian’s praises. The offense ranked 75th in the country in 2020. Not great and this year looks more of the same. Incarnate word put up 64 on SIU and NU can only muster 24, 7 of which was garbage time. This team is bad on both sides and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Unfortunately

JON should have never been hired with his resume; this forum was full of skeptical posts when he was announced. Even if you ignore the message board/fans, the national media couldn't understand the hire. I get that Fitz may have thought the assistants weren't ready, but there had to be some other way. Fitz may have hired him due to their relationship back under Walk, but it was already obvious that he'd failed as a coordinator in the NFL, and he's a failure here as well.

3 years as DC in the NFL and a 4th year as DC here, he's fielded defenses that were among the worst at their level. And now this 5th year is looking like more of the same.

I liked the Bajakian hire, and it worked in 2020 with Ramsey at QB. Obviously, we've struggled to find a long-term solution at QB since Thorson left. Last year and the early part of this year show just how hard it is to generate functional offense. I think he deserves more time, but even he has to realize that the product on the field is not working.

There has to be changes after the worst loss of Fitz's career as HC. For 13 years, this program was carried by the stout defenses that Hank fielded. It covered up for years of offensive ineptitude. Even in 2019, that 3-9 team had a functional defense even if the offense was completely broken down going 3 and out most times it touched the ball.

It's unimaginable that JON could be able to coach a defense that could play at the level needed to win 7 or 8 Big Ten conference games in a year. What evidence over the last 15 games or his career would show otherwise? I just hope we don't have to see this for multiple more years before changes are made.
4th year here? This is his second year.

After a day of watching a miserable loss and then reading thread after thread about how much we suck and our coaches are terrible, I now find myself on repeat after another brutal loss by my Bungles today. The fans there are pissed too!

This is so damning. We need some of the purple mafia out there in the sports world to start to question whether Fitz is getting complacent. I think it will happen if we turn in another 3-9 or worse season. All goodwill from Dublin is gone.
Cuz that has worked so well here 🎯

• Angry
Oh, yeah, the national media was all over this story. They can’t get enough of Northwestern Wildcat football news. All the coverage we get is one of the great joys of being a Cat fan.
National media? Lol. Last year, we became irrelevant. When you suck, the admin no longer cares and leaves all decisions and direction to a stubborn guy that ridicules reporters, they all leave. The national, the regional, the local. PF is stuck w the student reporter and Lou. Nobody cares - how much purple were in the seats? Wonder what the tv ratings were.

Yeah I think freewillie was talking about getting people like Wilbon or Greenie to start griping about it to get it in the public eye

Yeah I think freewillie was talking about getting people like Wilbon or Greenie to start griping about it to get it in the public eye
I don’t think they care much either these days. Alum everywhere are simply losing interest. Athletic department’s fault.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the archives of this group there were posts mid-season in 2021 saying that JON will be fired at the end of the year. There is also one from me stating that, as with McCall, Fitz won't pull the trigger and we should expect to be stuck with JON for at least five years.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the archives of this group there were posts mid-season in 2021 saying that JON will be fired at the end of the year. There is also one from me stating that, as with McCall, Fitz won't pull the trigger and we should expect to be stuck with JON for at least five years.
I’ll take the under on 5 years (yes some of this is wishful thinking). This team hasn’t played anyone good yet. Just wait until PSU, OSU, and even Minnesota and Purdue run right over them. Fitz hand will be forced

I’ll take the under on 5 years (yes some of this is wishful thinking). This team hasn’t played anyone good yet. Just wait until PSU, OSU, and even Minnesota and Purdue run right over them. Fitz hand will be forced
Backing off my prediction of 8-4 a week ago, when things seemed brighter, I don't see another game except MofO we are likely to win, given our defense. Unless something changes, with luck, 4-8.

An unknown for me is how much influence does Fitz have in determining the game plan and what coordinators can and cant do...We are soooooooooo conservative in play calling both defensively and offensively I think conservative Fitz has his hands on the steering wheel. I think Fitz is a control freak....let the coordinators lose.....

An unknown for me is how much influence does Fitz have in determining the game plan and what coordinators can and cant do...We are soooooooooo conservative in play calling both defensively and offensively I think conservative Fitz has his hands on the steering wheel. I think Fitz is a control freak....let the coordinators lose.....

I agree that we are way too conservative on both sides of the ball.
Not sure if that is Fitz or the coordinators.

We don't have a Big Ten front 7 on defense. The O-line is not good either.

Ryan Hilinski played poorly against SIU. I don't see many people writing that, but I watched the game in person, then watched the replay and he was pretty bad. So was the play-calling - assuming Hilinski was throwing to "option #1" most of the time.

Some secondary receivers seemed to be going thru the motions - I noticed this (in person) on Saturday. Guys just jogging their routes - assuming they were wasting their effort. A big part of college football is completions downfield when the QB is scrambling... we don't have much of that.

If Fitz insists on keeping him, Fitz might not last five years

If Fitz insists on keeping him, Fitz might not last five years
I agree with this. The coaching staff is the primary problem with this team right now. We have an extremely poorly coached team. That reflects directly on Fitz.

Our DC and OC are probably the worst performing pair at their positions in the country. JON has to go this year or Fitz is putting himself on the hot seat. Bajakian has to be evaluated for what the team is doing on the field with him as OC. Can he develop QBs?

The program cannot afford to continue to put a product like this out on the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT