ADVERTISEMENT

Juice Squad

Williesfan

Sep 24, 2009
its official Dan Vitale related the moniker for Steve Reese's Macarena dancing troupe. The Juice Squad, I like it and has been growing weekly.

Steve Reese should work for Chippendales this upcoming summer, he's got a future!

It's great to see these guys having fun while redshirting or recovering from injury. Work your butt off in practice, then cheer on your teammates to victory while having a blast in front of a national audience. Not a bad life for an 18-year old.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
It's great to see these guys having fun while redshirting or recovering from injury. Work your butt off in practice, then cheer on your teammates to victory while having a blast in front of a national audience. Not a bad life for an 18-year old.

Apparently Steve Reese was one of the last commits to the 2015 class, just a couple weeks before signing day last February. Just imagine going from a HS senior in Buford, GA to a redshirt freshman on one of the top defenses nationally. That's a pretty big change for a kid in just 8 months!!

If it were me, I'd probably be dancing a little, too. ;) GO 'CATS!!!!

Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
its official Dan Vitale related the moniker for Steve Reese's Macarena dancing troupe. The Juice Squad, I like it and has been growing weekly.

My question is what will happen if we happen to get down big at some point this season. Are they supposed to just keep dancing away? I like seeing them have fun on the sideline, but Fitz might also view this is not taking things seriously?

(And yes, ideally we'll never have to find out . . . I'm ok with this staying a hypothetical!)

My question is what will happen if we happen to get down big at some point this season. Are they supposed to just keep dancing away? I like seeing them have fun on the sideline, but Fitz might also view this is not taking things seriously?

(And yes, ideally we'll never have to find out . . . I'm ok with this staying a hypothetical!)

They aren't always goofing off and dancing around during the game. I see them on the sidelines waving towels to lead the fans and and jumping up and down on key plays.

If they are putting the time in the weight room, practice, and watching tape. With the likelihood of them being informed of there redshirt status. It would be a safe assumption that they will get additional coaching in the recap. Let em have fun. In the event our depth is challenged and their number is called, at that point their focus should shift.

It's not as much dancing and fun when we're losing, but they're still whooping and hollering on third down and cheering like crazy when something good happens. I think Fitz makes it very clear that the redshirts are an important part of the team and sideline support and energy is their gameday job.

Apparently Steve Reese was one of the last commits to the 2015 class, just a couple weeks before signing day last February. Just imagine going from a HS senior in Buford, GA to a redshirt freshman on one of the top defenses nationally. That's a pretty big change for a kid in just 8 months!!

If it were me, I'd probably be dancing a little, too. ;) GO 'CATS!!!!

As hard as I try, I can't imagine going from a senior in HS to becoming a redshirt freshman in the space of 8 months. Seems like you need that redshirt year no matter what.

As hard as I try, I can't imagine going from a senior in HS to becoming a redshirt freshman in the space of 8 months. Seems like you need that redshirt year no matter what.

E-Cat, I think I may have inadvertently misspoken. To the best of my knowledge, Steve Reese hasn't yet played a single down, so this would be his TRUE FRESHMAN year of eligibility. Next year he would become a redshirt freshman, and likely/hopefully be ready to play. Sorry for not being clear.

Also, isn't there a limit on the number of players who can travel to an away game under NCAA rules? I think the "juice squad" is mainly a home-field phenomenon. I'm pretty sure the NCAA won't allow all of those guys to do their thing on the sidelines in the Big Outhouse. The rules experts will undoubtedly correct me on this if I'm wrong.

E-Cat, I think I may have inadvertently misspoken. To the best of my knowledge, Steve Reese hasn't yet played a single down, so this would be his TRUE FRESHMAN year of eligibility. Next year he would become a redshirt freshman, and likely/hopefully be ready to play. Sorry for not being clear.

Also, isn't there a limit on the number of players who can travel to an away game under NCAA rules? I think the "juice squad" is mainly a home-field phenomenon. I'm pretty sure the NCAA won't allow all of those guys to do their thing on the sidelines in the Big Outhouse. The rules experts will undoubtedly correct me on this if I'm wrong.

You're right. NCAA rules limit the travel squad to (I think it's still) 70.

Reactions: NUMBfan
I think these kids are watching the Juice Squad instead of the game and are getting confused.

Could injured players drive to a game at their own expense and be admitted to the sidelines?
I got this one. NO, and hell no. The university (at least when I was involved) is 100% strict on this one. It's a giant liability. If a kid drives to the game and gets in car crash and dies, his parents are suing the school. If a player goes on his own without the team's or athletic departments knowledge that's a whole different story but if he's planning on going on the field, they know and don't want the liability. Could a player from Duke drive to UNC, that I don't know.

When I was coaching, I had a girl who's sister was at Indiana. For that game, her parents came down. They planned on staying Saturday night and driving her back Sunday. To get this done was nightmare of paperwork. Her best friend and next door neighbor from childhood was also on the team. She was going to stay, that's a no. Couldn't have paper work signed nothing by her parents allowing it. They'd only release a person (well over 18) to her parents. I also had a mascot that was from Minnesota. He wanted to go to his parents house the night before that game to do homework (I thought it was bs at the time but didn't care. It turns out yes, he had a lot of work to do and planned his night that way). Again, massive amounts of paper work to release him to his parents.

Basically, here's the situation: If someone can get hurt and you could be seen as the responsible party, the athletic department will cover their ass like you wouldn't believe. Getting players to drive themselves to games... Not gonna happen

Is Stevie Reese going to be traveling to AA? ;)

I got this one. NO, and hell no. The university (at least when I was involved) is 100% strict on this one. It's a giant liability. If a kid drives to the game and gets in car crash and dies, his parents are suing the school. If a player goes on his own without the team's or athletic departments knowledge that's a whole different story but if he's planning on going on the field, they know and don't want the liability. Could a player from Duke drive to UNC, that I don't know.

When I was coaching, I had a girl who's sister was at Indiana. For that game, her parents came down. They planned on staying Saturday night and driving her back Sunday. To get this done was nightmare of paperwork. Her best friend and next door neighbor from childhood was also on the team. She was going to stay, that's a no. Couldn't have paper work signed nothing by her parents allowing it. They'd only release a person (well over 18) to her parents. I also had a mascot that was from Minnesota. He wanted to go to his parents house the night before that game to do homework (I thought it was bs at the time but didn't care. It turns out yes, he had a lot of work to do and planned his night that way). Again, massive amounts of paper work to release him to his parents.

Basically, here's the situation: If someone can get hurt and you could be seen as the responsible party, the athletic department will cover their ass like you wouldn't believe. Getting players to drive themselves to games... Not gonna happen
Follow up Question then. Iv'e never noticed anyone calling attention to team members in the stands. Is there likely a team rule that says don't come?

It's not as much dancing and fun when we're losing, but they're still whooping and hollering on third down and cheering like crazy when something good happens. I think Fitz makes it very clear that the redshirts are an important part of the team and sideline support and energy is their gameday job.
This ^^^^ is true. Fitz approved it actually and although fitz didnt dance yet...he did come over and pump the juice squad up and pump up the fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT