ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from Allstate

FitzFan

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
First, I'm glad to see our usual doomsayers have stayed away from the boards tonight. That was a rough game, but let's not get too down-in-the-dumps. We generally have 1-2 of these each preseason. Remember, just last year we played a close game against Eastern Washington and nearly lost to Chicago State. So it happens. We played tough at the end and won. That's what matters. As long as we get a victory, whether pretty or ugly, I'll be happy.

A few other thoughts:
  • Allstate Arena actually isn't so bad. It got pretty loud when we looked like we were pulling away, despite only having a couple thousand people in attendance. My sightline isn't great (Section 111 row DD), but I have plenty of legroom, so that's cool. The $9.50 beer, however...
  • I don't want to sound too Hoosier-ish, but the main reason for our struggles tonight was the referee-ing. We're a much better basketball team when we can get out and run, forcing our opponent to play our tempo. We never really found a offensive or defensive rhythm with the refs stopping the game every 20 seconds (55 fouls. 55!!!!), and this played right into Loyola Md.'s hands. They had a couple guys on fire behind the arc, which certainly didn't help. Kostecka looks like a really nice player.
  • The bench really needs to play better. Without looking at the box score, I'd say our starters accounted for 95% of our offense. I know Skelly started tonight, but I'd include him in this, too, since Falzon would be starting if he was healthy. Hopefully Gavin just had a bad night, but he looked really off out there.
  • Speaking of Falzon, anyone know what his status is?

Reactions: nucatnap and scru
I was just about to post the second half 3-pt stat - 87% ... 55% overall in the second half.

I didn't think the defense was horrible at all. OTOH, on the way home, Joey Meyer thought there were a bunch of missed assignments that NU usually doesn't miss.

Fitzfan was also correct about the refs. There was no consistency to their calls at all.

Thanks for the account. Kostecka and Holcombe were a combined 7 for 8 on 3 pointers in the second half. We’re they not covered or just on fire?
I agree with Sec.112. I thought our perimeter D was actually pretty solid. It looked like Loyola was just making some really difficult shots. I only recall one made attempt that was likely due to a bad switch between Law and BMac, I think.

We still won. To make us 1-0, even if it was a stinker! Now, we get better each game and start to play to our potential and hopefully dominate! I am wondering as well- is Falzone's injury serious? We need him back asap! What the heck is "a minor hip-flexor injury"? Did he reaggravate the same thiing that kept him out all last year?

It’s going to be difficult to depend on DP if he can’t make free throws. No real team will allow him to make layups. Just foul and watch the chipped paint on the rims

Where was Rap? We needed another big guy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT