ADVERTISEMENT

Just got off a Zoom Meeting with Coach Fitzgerald

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Those of us on the respective reunion class committees for the upcoming homecoming were invited to join in with Coach Fitzgerald on a Zoom meeting. Coach Fitzgerald himself will be celebrating his 25th Northwestern Alumni Reunion along with the rest of us commemorating our reunions. The final question from "Willy" in the concluding Q and A portion was how Coach treats the Reunion game. He acknowledged that it is special and that he does keep in mind that for many returning alums it may be the only game that they get to see in person. He accepts that as a challenge to go all out in encouraging the best performance possible from the players.

Many of the preceding questions had to do with some of the challenges the team faced last year and what steps have been taken to course correct. He didn't give away any inside information but it was apparent that he does not expect this year to be a repeat. He spoke highly of both quarterbacks without revealing which might have the edge. Speaking about edges, his opening statement about this year's team was, "We have got our edge back." Adding to that he stated, "I feel really good about this team."

As to specifics he spoke highly of the Offensive Line and the Tight Ends. He used the term deep in describing the running backs and receivers. Significantly he seemed excited in his praise of the special teams transfers who have joined the team referencing both the added kicker and punter.

In the discussion he provided some insight as to the game ahead in Dublin noting that for 70% of the players this will be the first time they have left the country. He commented on how it has been a logistical challenge getting passports and all the other requisites just for the travel. He addressed the specific day to day scheduling and practices that will lead up to the game. He also noted that while Nebraska will have to fly back immediately after the game that since we do not play the following week that the day after the game has been scheduled to allow the players a chance to experience Ireland and they will then fly out on Monday with Tuesday an open day upon return. The one specific pregame event he mentioned was an authentic Irish Caberet on Wednesday night preceding the Thursday practice. He mentioned he would be at Friday's Pep Rally hoping to join in person those in the meeting who would be coming to Dublin.

As expected he said that this is "a business trip". and that this is no exhibition game as the Cats are playing a West opponent against whom we have been 50-50 under his tenure and are going there to win so the Wildcats can start the season 1 and 0.

If he's excited about his receivers and tight ends then he's lying.
Is Frost, Whipple or Josephs excited about their receivers and tight ends? Word out of camp is that the WR group is struggling and all the tight ends are injured besides Vokolek. The 'savior" LSU transfer Palmer is injured and Omar Manning and Oliver Martin are missing in action.

Word to your mother.

Did Fitz say anything about defense?
Yes. Primarily in response to questions but purposely spoke in generalities without commenting on specific position groups.

Some of last year’s issues (tackling was one mentioned) were referenced and after addressing youth and experience as factors emphasized that he was not making excuses.

Last edited:
Is Frost, Whipple or Josephs excited about their receivers and tight ends? Word out of camp is that the WR group is struggling and all the tight ends are injured besides Vokolek. The 'savior" LSU transfer Palmer is injured and Omar Manning and Oliver Martin are missing in action.

Word to your mother.

Nebraska has no WR injuries currently to their top 7 receivers. But I'm gonna demand you go outside and throw salt over your shoulder as an act of penance for attempting to curse fate. Palmer has never been hurt. Tight Ends definitely don't have much depth beyond Vokolek though.

But as for NW, I'm assuming Fitz is lying unless he has some ringer stacked up beyond Danny Navarro. Malik Washington, Bryce Kirtz, and Mangieri would struggle to start for nearly every Big Ten team.

Nebraska has no WR injuries currently to their top 7 receivers. But I'm gonna demand you go outside and throw salt over your shoulder as an act of penance for attempting to curse fate. Palmer has never been hurt. Tight Ends definitely don't have much depth beyond Vokolek though.

But as for NW, I'm assuming Fitz is lying unless he has some ringer stacked up beyond Danny Navarro. Malik Washington, Bryce Kirtz, and Mangieri would struggle to start for nearly every Big Ten team.
Did Fitz just take an offer to coach NW???

Reactions: kreggk and JournCat
We all know Fitz is going to run the ball and try and control the clock and possessions. Malik is the only threat outside of that. I don't think NW can handle Nebraska upfront.

They are all going down bub. Except Alanté Brown

We all know Fitz is going to run the ball and try and control the clock and possessions. Malik is the only threat outside of that. I don't think NW can handle Nebraska upfront.
Hey you guys will be happy to know that Fitz just threw in the towel and asked to cancel the game, we have no chance against the mighty Neb machine.

Hey you guys will be happy to know that Fitz just threw in the towel and asked to cancel the game, we have no chance against the mighty Neb machine.
Thanks for letting me know. Guess I will extend my touring elsewhere in Ireland and roll back into Dublin on Sunday....

Reactions: JournCat
Nebraska’s fans bring all of the obnoxiousness of a big program with none of the success — and throw in the fake classiness. I don’t think we will win but still really hope we kick some ass next week.

• Wow
Reactions: willycat
Nebraska’s fans bring all of the obnoxiousness of a big program with none of the success — and throw in the fake classiness. I don’t think we will win but still really hope we kick some ass next week.

Am I being obnoxious if I state a fact?

Well - I hope decoldest can help sell a lot of air conditioning systems to provide a return on those NIL dollars because his ACL is going to prevent him from taking the field this year my friend…

You need to just head back to the Husker Board and do your thing there. It's unbecoming to come here and trash talk Northwestern. I've been to 3 games in Lincoln and can thankfully report that the vast majority of Nebraska fans I have met have more class than you. They appreciate the differences in the two programs' approach and limitations surrounding their respective football programs. They would certainly never take the time to come here and post that none of our wide receivers would start at another Big 10 program. Shameful.

Those of us on the respective reunion class committees for the upcoming homecoming were invited to join in with Coach Fitzgerald on a Zoom meeting. Coach Fitzgerald himself will be celebrating his 25th Northwestern Alumni Reunion along with the rest of us commemorating our reunions. The final question from "Willy" in the concluding Q and A portion was how Coach treats the Reunion game. He acknowledged that it is special and that he does keep in mind that for many returning alums it may be the only game that they get to see in person. He accepts that as a challenge to go all out in encouraging the best performance possible from the players.

Many of the preceding questions had to do with some of the challenges the team faced last year and what steps have been taken to course correct. He didn't give away any inside information but it was apparent that he does not expect this year to be a repeat. He spoke highly of both quarterbacks without revealing which might have the edge. Speaking about edges, his opening statement about this year's team was, "We have got our edge back." Adding to that he stated, "I feel really good about this team."

As to specifics he spoke highly of the Offensive Line and the Tight Ends. He used the term deep in describing the running backs and receivers. Significantly he seemed excited in his praise of the special teams transfers who have joined the team referencing both the added kicker and punter.

In the discussion he provided some insight as to the game ahead in Dublin noting that for 70% of the players this will be the first time they have left the country. He commented on how it has been a logistical challenge getting passports and all the other requisites just for the travel. He addressed the specific day to day scheduling and practices that will lead up to the game. He also noted that while Nebraska will have to fly back immediately after the game that since we do not play the following week that the day after the game has been scheduled to allow the players a chance to experience Ireland and they will then fly out on Monday with Tuesday an open day upon return. The one specific pregame event he mentioned was an authentic Irish Caberet on Wednesday night preceding the Thursday practice. He mentioned he would be at Friday's Pep Rally hoping to join in person those in the meeting who would be coming to Dublin.

As expected he said that this is "a business trip". and that this is no exhibition game as the Cats are playing a West opponent against whom we have been 50-50 under his tenure and are going there to win so the Wildcats can start the season 1 and 0.

Have to believe with the Coach's Irish roots that the "Luck of the Irish" has to be with us in Dublin. Of course it never hurts to add Alaska Karma and this monster stepped up to meet the challenge today as I headed out to vote:

IMG_9513_(1).jpg

IMG_9514.jpg

Last edited:

Having Nebraska in-laws,I have gotten a heavy dose of Husker hubris over the 50 years I have been related to Big Red diehards.

The sad fact (to use Cornicator’s word fact correctly) is that in recent years, the Nebraska program has not attracted or developed elite players, if you use first round NFL players as the yardstick. Since joining the B1G, there has yet to be a Husker who was picked in the first round. The only other programs in the conference that have not had one are Rutgers and Indiana. Nebraska was once a powerful program, and I think it’s hard for many Husker fans to accept the hollowing out of the team that occurred in recent years. As a result, there is a little bit of an attempt by some Husker fans (I am reminded a little of LBJ’s famous quote about the “lowest white man”) where they try to find reasons to look down on other teams to make themselves feel better.

With respect to receivers, Washington was statistically the 15th best receiver in the B1G, with Robinson as the Cats’ top WR. If you project Kirtz’s numbers by game to a full year, he would have been top 25. I posted separately that while the Cats’ WR corps in recent years have not had top end players it has had competent ones, with, four of the six leading receivers of the last four years a have played pro, and the other two being given NFL tryouts. Maybe Washington and Kirtz would struggle to start on most B1G teams, but I honestly doubt it, and, unlike the absence of Husker first round picks, it is certainly an opinion and not a fact.

I do think this will be Frost’s best team, but I also think the B1G West might be the strongest it has ever been. UNL is, to me, a dark horse. It could win the division or also go 2-7 or 3-6 in conference. I think they are at least a TD better than the Cats, but we will see in a week and a half.

Meanwhile NU had 2 first round draft picks in 2020 and possibly 2 guys in the first two rounds in the next draft, plus we'll probably take credit for Benedict Joseph if he gets drafted.

Reactions: ricko654321
Yes. Primarily in response to questions but purposely spoke in generalities without commenting on specific position groups.

Some of last year’s issues (tackling was one mentioned) were referenced and after addressing youth and experience as factors emphasized that he was not making excuses.
Not making excuses? That would be true, except it would be a lie. The team was littered with low performing upperclassmen

Have to believe with the Coach's Irish roots that the "Luck of the Irish" has to be with us in Dublin. Of course it never hurts to add Alaska Karma and this monster stepped up to meet the challenge today as I headed out to vote:

IMG_9513_(1).jpg

IMG_9514.jpg
That is a giant specimen--bigger even than Scott Frost's ego.

IMG_9513_(1).jpg

IMG_9514.jpg
Ah, he's cute. In a big kind of way.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Alaska: Hey! I was on the call as well. I asked a VERY anodyne question, compared to what would be expected coming off a 3-9 season from a loyal 27-year season ticket holder. I will be polite and say that Coach Fitz’s response and tone was underwhelming.

He is the perfect coach for NU. I am thrilled to have him. But, elements of that engagement we both experienced were disappointing to me. And, I am not talking about a lack of detailed insight about game planning.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Alaska: Hey! I was on the call as well. I asked a VERY anodyne question, compared to what would be expected coming off a 3-9 season from a loyal 27-year season ticket holder. I will be polite and say that Coach Fitz’s response and tone was underwhelming.

He is the perfect coach for NU. I am thrilled to have him. But, elements of that engagement we both experienced were disappointing to me. And, I am not talking about a lack of detailed insight about game planning.
Just RSVP'd for the Reunion Committee Member gathering at the Deering tent late Thursday afternoon as the Reunion events begin. Hope to see you there.

Reactions: Dugan15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT