ADVERTISEMENT

Just playing pretend…

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
…because I can’t see how this gets better in line with Fitz’s character and his commitment to NU and our players.

Let’s just say, just hypothetically, it actually is decided within the program that JON is not a fit. As much as we want to see something cathartic happen, that is just not the style we’ve seen from Fitz. He will protect the man’s dignity and his future prospects. But the players are watching. Our recruits are watching. Massive damage can be done just keeping him and letting this play out. If it was decided JON was not the guy, and it was known a move had to be made, what would Fitz do, based on what we think we know of him?

Well, he wouldn’t fire him for the reasons already stated. But if Macpherson is the guy who was seriously considered, I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to envision a scenario where he and JON switch roles without anyone outside the program being aware. JON has coached DBs throughout his career. Of course he could refuse the move, but if the choice is stay on as DB coach at his current salary and protect his resume or be fired, I could see him swallowing his pride.

But we as fans would see nothing different at all from a staff perspective. The players would know of course and the fear of a mass exodus would be mitigated. At the end of the season, JON would suddenly move on, back to the NFL where he can say he felt more comfortable, Mac is officially named the DC, and Larkin becomes the official DB coach.

The End.

This has been a Darthcat production.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News