ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched the game. Some observations.

jensberg

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2006
Wright doesn't seem to be as bad a passer as some people are indicating but certainly not very good. His real problem in my mind is he cannot read the field and see some of the wide open receivers especially when he's running. Also though he has speed that defensive backs on the other team seem to be able to run him down.

The offensive line did not look very good on pass protection as there was pressure on the quarterback quite often. This happened numerous times with just the three or four man rush.

As many have already mentioned, the play calling seems suspect in some respects. Especially the minimal use of the tight end who seems to catch the ball quite well and has a good after catch capability.

On a positive note with the tackling is quite good compared to some previous years.

Didn't see as much action out of the middle linebacker as in the Miami game. But Mueller was quite good.

Braden and Devin Turner both played a good game for what I could see.

Reactions: zeek55
From the lousy stadium sightlines, I saw a number of pretty bad plays. Here are 5: Missile over Kirtz head, slip out of hand in Q1 when coverage broke and he could have tossed over head of rusher. Not seeing wide open TE in end zone, and two egregious near-interceptions. Probably more. That's way too many for a 5th year guy, especially since we saw such a calm field presence last week.

Very little pressure on Murphy.

I already griped about how it could be worse if Duke had caught the ball.

I find it annoying that Puke was able to rebuild from a mediocre year, land a more experienced coach and get a better known transfer QB than us without breaking a sweat. How, in a few years, they surpassed us in these regards is galling

Wright doesn't seem to be as bad a passer as some people are indicating but certainly not very good. His real problem in my mind is he cannot read the field and see some of the wide open receivers especially when he's running. Also though he has speed that defensive backs on the other team seem to be able to run him down.

The offensive line did not look very good on pass protection as there was pressure on the quarterback quite often. This happened numerous times with just the three or four man rush.

As many have already mentioned, the play calling seems suspect in some respects. Especially the minimal use of the tight end who seems to catch the ball quite well and has a good after catch capability.

On a positive note with the tackling is quite good compared to some previous years.

Didn't see as much action out of the middle linebacker as in the Miami game. But Mueller was quite good.

P S
Pearson played quite well
If we hadn't missed that short field goal dude would have had to go for a touchdown at the end of the second half might have been a totally different result

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I find it annoying that Puke was able to rebuild from a mediocre year, land a more experienced coach and get a better known transfer QB than us without breaking a sweat. How, in a few years, they surpassed us in these regards is galling
Elko left them in good shape with 2 solid years there, and getting a known quantity like Diaz helped since he was Miami's HC recently and PSU DC.

Getting QBs is pretty much the whole ballgame at this point if you have a competent defense.

It's been feast or famine with us with Ramsey/Bryant working out and most of the others not working the past 5 years.

Reactions: NJcatsfan
Duke has minimum standards for athletes (18 ACT, 2.0 GPA). That’s how lol. And Wright is a finished product. There’s a reason he had little to no interest. He sucks.

Duke has minimum standards for athletes (18 ACT, 2.0 GPA). That’s how lol. And Wright is a finished product. There’s a reason he had little to no interest. He sucks.
But they sucked for half a century, were decent but not as good under Cutcliffe, and now they've beaten us 6 straight and are just better....again.

As I was watching Wright throw last night I kept thinking of the Seinfeld episode where George describes a guy he played pickup basketball with as “a chucker.”

Reactions: hudsoncat
But they sucked for half a century, were decent but not as good under Cutcliffe, and now they've beaten us 6 straight and are just better....again.
NU caught up a bit last night--we were better against Duke than in the recent past. Actually in spite of all the gloom and doom, I'm encouraged. It may take Braun (and Lujan) 2 or so years to get to where I'd bet they want to be.

Reactions: NUinIowafan
We don’t have 2 years. We need to get to a bowl this year again to keep the momentum going. This is not old CFB. You need sustained success to attract the top recruits.

Reactions: phatcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT