ADVERTISEMENT

Kameron Rooks: Cal 7-1 265 C (son of NBA player) to graduate and transfer

Kameron Rooks: Cal 7-1 265 Center will graduate and transfer with a year of eligibility left. This season, he averaged 17 min, 5pt, 4.5 rb, 1 block per game.
He got several PAC12 offers, out of HS.
His father Sean had a long NBA career, and died last year of heart desease.
An intriguing prospect.

Why do you think a back-of-the-rotation grad transfer would improve us much for 2017-2018?

Why do you think a back-of-the-rotation grad transfer would improve us much for 2017-2018?
If the alternative is to leave a scholarship unused (or even worse be stuck for 4-5 years with a guy who isn't able to contribute).
Given the unpredictability of injuries, within reason, any qualifying grad transfer is A LOT BETER than an empty spot.

Reactions: IGNORE2
If the alternative is to leave a scholarship unused (or even worse be stuck for 4-5 years with a guy who isn't able to contribute).
Given the unpredictability of injuries, within reason, any qualifying grad transfer is A LOT BETER than an empty spot.

"Someone" vs "nobody" is an easy choice. That's not hard. My point is more that if the objective is simply to take "someone," then chances are it won't be an impact guy.

My point is more that if the objective is simply to take "someone," then chances are it won't be an impact guy.
The objective is to do what helps the team the most. Taking the top remaining 2017 targets is best. If a spot remains open then take the best available grad transfer. Unfortunately very few of them, if any, project to be impact players at the B1G level. Those who would probably are impact players whenever they are and aren't transferring, with rare exceptions. If any becomes available there will be many suitors.

GCG2003,
I have not enjoyed many of Feli's posts over the years. For some reason he has had an antagonistic approach IMO. Lately, he has simply been posting possible Grad transfers available. He hasn't said ccc would be an idiot for not pursuing them, he has simply done little home work and said, "hey, here is a guy".

I don't understand why you are nailing him for it every time. Either he has got your number or he is goading you and I into a fight. That isn't going to happen. I have too much respect for you. But he is turning you into the negative Nelly on this.

GCG2003,
I have not enjoyed many of Feli's posts over the years. For some reason he has had an antagonistic approach IMO. Lately, he has simply been posting possible Grad transfers available. He hasn't said ccc would be an idiot for not pursuing them, he has simply done little home work and said, "hey, here is a guy".

I don't understand why you are nailing him for it every time. Either he has got your number or he is goading you and I into a fight. That isn't going to happen. I have too much respect for you. But he is turning you into the negative Nelly on this.

Completely agree with Deering. If there aren't 2 scholarship players with 4 year eligibility available for the 2017 class, there is no downside to taking a grad transfer with one or both of the remaining scholarships. Assuming these guys aren't cancers in the locker room, better to have a full complement of players even if just for practice purposes.

Completely agree with Deering. If there aren't 2 scholarship players with 4 year eligibility available for the 2017 class, there is no downside to taking a grad transfer with one or both of the remaining scholarships. Assuming these guys aren't cancers in the locker room, better to have a full complement of players even if just for practice purposes.

I don't disagree. Just don't think "hey, here's a guy" really adds much.

THAT I agree with. I do the same checks on VerbalCommits.com that Felis does but don't waste board space on speculation.
Who is speculating? I am simply pointing out specific players who for specific reasons seem to be worth keeping an eye on. I do not force anyone to read these posts, much less to reply. Judging by the number of views and replies it seems that many don't find them a waste of board space. If you do, why on earth are you reading these threads, and even worse, replying? Seems stupid, hypocritical or both. Simply stop reading/posting to these threads. Wouldn't that be smarter?
Last I checked the SIGNING DATE is a just few weeks from today. Sounds like the perfect time to talk about recruiting. If not now, when?

I don't disagree. Just don't think "hey, here's a guy" really adds much.
I don't say "hey, here is a guy". I am only commenting on specific cases, which for specific reasons, which I have mentioned, seem worthy of following. Makes sense to me considering that we are a couple of weeks from signing date. If you disagree, simply stay the heck away from these threads. Who forces you to read/reply?
Contrary to you, others may find these discussions interesting. Let them participate.

I don't say "hey, here is a guy". I am only commenting on specific cases, which for specific reasons, which I have mentioned, seem worthy of following. Makes sense to me considering that we are a couple of weeks from signing date. If you disagree, simply stay the heck away from these threads. Who forces you to read/reply?
Contrary to you, others may find these discussions interesting. Let them participate.

Just how high is that horse you've got yourself there?

Thanks Feli. I had wondered is such a list was available a few weeks back and I find it interesting seeing who might be available if a stop(s) are open after high school recruiting is finished.

Thanks Feli. I had wondered is such a list was available a few weeks back and I find it interesting seeing who might be available if a stop(s) are open after high school recruiting is finished.
The list is long, and contains many players who don't seem legit candidates for NU (for example, those transferring from smaller conferences/programs probably won't help much at the B1G level). So, I have tried to focus on specific cases who SEEM interesting from the perspective of NU.

Reactions: Dugan15
The list is long, and contains many players who don't seem legit candidates for NU (for example, those transferring from smaller conferences/programs probably won't help much at the B1G level). So, I have tried to focus on specific cases who SEEM interesting from the perspective of NU.

The other side of the equation is why NU would SEEM interesting to the recruit.

Is there any particular reason to think that Kameron Rooks (a California native who played for Cal and seemed to focus exclusively on west coast offers as a recruit without an NU offer or interest and wouldn't see too many minutes at the 5 with Pardon and Benson around) or Greg McClinton (Virginia native with no seeming ties to NU nor Collins and whose skillset seems duplicative of Law) or Duane Wilson (a PG who wouldn't have many minutes at all behind McIntosh) would consider Northwestern?

If there's something out there that would substantiate interest, I would love to see it... because those guys could feasibly help us.

The other side of the equation is why NU would SEEM interesting to the recruit.

Is there any particular reason to think that Kameron Rooks (a California native who played for Cal and seemed to focus exclusively on west coast offers as a recruit without an NU offer or interest and wouldn't see too many minutes at the 5 with Pardon and Benson around) or Greg McClinton (Virginia native with no seeming ties to NU nor Collins and whose skillset seems duplicative of Law) or Duane Wilson (a PG who wouldn't have many minutes at all behind McIntosh) would consider Northwestern?

If there's something out there that would substantiate interest, I would love to see it... because those guys could feasibly help us.

Aw let the syph drone on thinking he's showing us how smart he is.

We don't have a lot of info on what exactly they are looking for. If it's playing time, at NU they may still have a better shot than at other major conference programs with a decent chance to make some postseason noise. Other teams are far deeper than the cats. An NU degree has a higher value than others', which may or may not matter to some. Chicago may be far more attractive to some than the more typical small college town in the middle of nowhere. Moving far from their current region may actually be perceived as a plus by some (sort of like spending the junior year overseas is attractive to some people). A specific guy may feel some chemistry with the NU coaching staff that he doesn't feel with others...who the heck knows.

They probably want an ideal situation, but not every program will have a spot for them, and will need to choose among the offers they actually get. If NU offers a guy and certain school also offers he may choose the other school. But if that other school doesn't offer NU may then be his next best (or only) offer. And so on.

I don't know which connections Swops had to NU, BC or the Princeton O, but he did choose to attend NU a few years ago as a grad transfer and did pretty well, until his unfortunate injury. So could any of the mentioned guys (and hopefully not get injured).

We don't have a lot of info on what exactly they are looking for. If it's playing time, at NU they may still have a better shot than at other major conference programs with a decent chance to make some postseason noise. Other teams are far deeper than the cats. An NU degree has a higher value than others', which may or may not matter to some. Chicago may be far more attractive to some than the more typical small college town in the middle of nowhere. Moving far from their current region may actually be perceived as a plus by some (sort of like spending the junior year overseas is attractive to some people). A specific guy may feel some chemistry with the NU coaching staff that he doesn't feel with others...who the heck knows.

They probably want an ideal situation, but not every program will have a spot for them, and may need to choose among the offers they actually get. If NU offers a guy and certain school also offers he may choose the other school. But if that other school doesn't offfer NU may be his next best thing. And so on.

I don't know which connections Swops had to NU, BC or the Princeton O, but he did choose to attend NU a few years ago as a grad transfer and did pretty well, until his unfortunate injury. So could any of the mentioned guys (and hopefully not get injured).

Fair point on Swopshire. Based on this article, it seems that Hardy was the lead recruiter and that Swop was looking for a place that provided high-level academics as well as the opportunity for playing time.

GCG2003,

Maybe because of all the past garbage. While I agree that this is less egregious than most, there is still a history.

Maybe because of all the past garbage. While I agree that this is less egregious than most, there is still a history.

This. With his long history of trolling and arguing for the sake of arguing, when Felix Sylvester does post something without the usual poorly-hidden agenda of creating discord, one naturally is suspicious.

Watch your mouth. Unlike others, I do not use this place to spew garbage. The fact that *YOU* may disagree with a post of mine doesn't make it any more garbage than YOUR POSTS when I disagree with them. I do not have to agree with you. I give my opinions freely. If they bother you, the problem is your damn primitive intolerance. Don't know if you are or not an NU alumn, but you don't even need to be one to understand that people have every right to express opinions that disagree with yours. If you are one, and don't understand that, you wasted a lot of tuition money at NU.

This. With his long history of trolling and arguing for the sake of arguing, when Felix Sylvester does post something without the usual poorly-hidden agenda of creating discord, one naturally is suspicious.
The fact that a post of mine may disagree with your position doesn't make it "trolling" or an attempt to 'creating discord'. The real problem is the damn primitive intolerance of some of you, who don't seem to accept that others may have and express an opinion different from yours. I have every right to disagree with you, whether your damn intolerance allows you to accept it or not.

We have a 6-8 center and a 6-10 project who needs significant time in the weight room. Assuming we can't hook a really strong frosh 4/5, a 7-1 former part time starter from a major program with a 10-8 conference record is nothing to sneeze at, pooh-pooh, or otherwise denigrate. Rooks is actually the 5th leading scorer on their very perimeter oriented team who split time with another 7 foot dude. We could definitely use him. If nothing else he wouldn't get squashed by Isaac Haas. If we are seriously trying to "go for the gold" next year more inside depth is what we need most. We have two backup point guards with potential for improvement, and a starter who plays 35 minutes plus a game. We should certainly pursue...

We have a 6-8 center and a 6-10 project who needs significant time in the weight room. Assuming we can't hook a really strong frosh 4/5, a 7-1 former part time starter from a major program with a 10-8 conference record is nothing to sneeze at, pooh-pooh, or otherwise denigrate. Rooks is actually the 5th leading scorer on their very perimeter oriented team who split time with another 7 foot dude. We could definitely use him.
The only concern about Rooks (assuming his grades are good enough) is whether his knee injury (which sidelined him for 5-6 weeks earlier this season) will bother him again. After returning from that injury he seemed to have played the remainder of the season with normality, without health issues (played 15-20 mins most games). But you never know.

We have a 6-8 center and a 6-10 project who needs significant time in the weight room. Assuming we can't hook a really strong frosh 4/5, a 7-1 former part time starter from a major program with a 10-8 conference record is nothing to sneeze at, pooh-pooh, or otherwise denigrate. Rooks is actually the 5th leading scorer on their very perimeter oriented team who split time with another 7 foot dude. We could definitely use him. If nothing else he wouldn't get squashed by Isaac Haas. If we are seriously trying to "go for the gold" next year more inside depth is what we need most. We have two backup point guards with potential for improvement, and a starter who plays 35 minutes plus a game. We should certainly pursue...

Agreed. Nothing wrong bringing in a 7 footer who logs big minutes. For that matter, I thought JvZ was a solid player for us. Going the grad transfer route to bring in superstars regularly isn't realistic. Getting someone who can spell us and give good minutes and PFs and help with extreme matchups (like against Purdue or Gonzaga) would be helpful.

17 minutes in his third year is not bad. He'd be averaging 11.8 pts and 10.6 boards and 2.4 blocks per 40. We could have used his minutes and PFs and defensive and rebounding presence against the likes of Purdue and Gonzaga. Why you wouldn't get that is a mystery.

The fact that a post of mine may disagree with your position doesn't make it "trolling" or an attempt to 'creating discord'. The real problem is the damn primitive intolerance of some of you, who don't seem to accept that others may have and express an opinion different from yours. I have every right to disagree with you, whether your damn intolerance allows you to accept it or not.

What you are missing is that your posts are simply not in disagreement with one poster, they are in disagreement with ALL posters in nearly ALL cases! When EVERYONE disagrees with you, chances are, your posts are NONSENSE!

Did you like my usage of ALL CAPS?

When EVERYONE disagrees with you, chances are, your posts are NONSENSE!
Great point. Reminds me of that old fool who thought earth was spherical when "everybody knew" it was flat. Was that Galileo? What an idiot!
Anyway, I tell it how I see it, and couldn't care less if most/all agree/disagree with my opinion. I may be wrong, and so may be you, most or all. Last I checked being wrong (if that is indeed the case) is NOT against the rules here or elsewhere. Incessantly harassing/obsessing-over/provoking/flame-baiting a poster is, though.

Rooks is apparently still available. A Gonzaga recent article cites 8 schools besides GU:
San Diego State, Connecticut, St. John’s, Georgetown, Illinois, Iowa State, St. Louis and Clemson.
It seems NU could compete in that group, but it's unclear whether NU has tried to land him, and if not, why not. Geography does not seem to be an issue. Apparently he is willing to move as far from Cal as the NE, and is considering Illy, if the article is accurate.

I'd say another guard is our biggest need, but if we can't find someone who can fill that need, then a 7-footer is not a bad fallback.

Odd as it sounds to me, I agree with wrassler. And based on our chase of Brown, it seems like the staff is looking for help at guard too.
Wonder who are the possible guard transfers still on the NU board? Feli ?

Here is a good, up to date source of graduate transfers who are still available, and where they are looking. (Scroll down under the list of names to the "latest buzz" section to see where they are visiting). The good news is there are still a few guards out there who look like they could be "impact" transfers -- including a kid who led the nation in scoring at Howard two seasons ago. The bad news -- NU is not mentioned in connection with any of them.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...sfers-2017-18-the-best-grad-players-available

Odd as it sounds to me, I agree with wrassler. And based on our chase of Brown, it seems like the staff is looking for help at guard too.
Regardless of what the staff may be doing, it is unclear that a guard should be a priority for the final 2017 spot. Best I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) for next season NU only has as of now 6 scholarship 'bigs': Law (sF), Skelly (PF), Falzon (PF), R.I. (PF), Pardon (C) and Benson (C). That's 6 players to cover 3 positions on the court.
At guard, assuming Gaines is ready to provide (limited) help, NU has 5 scholarship players to cover only 2 positions: Brown, Mac, Lindsey, Ash and Gaines.
So, the situation at guard is actually stronger.
Of course injuries can change all that, but we don't know how that will go. In fact, 2 'bigs' are coming from injury which may or may not have affected their game.
In all, the 'bigs' situation seems more precarious.

The best thing that can happen is for Isaiah Brown to develop into a point guard that consistently makes better decisions. He has already shown he can create his own shot and play good defense. It seems a lot of posters, including Sunshine Bob, have written him off. I think he can become a really good B1G point guard.

Reactions: cat inkansas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT