ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Christian Smith

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
The Cats’ DLine may not be a fearsome foursome, but the rotation based unit Smith has cobbled out of spare parts and retreads this year has improved from being absolutely manhandled in the Rutgers game to competitive, and in the case of very short yardage play, inspiring. Watching the interchangeable parts members play with discipline and precision down the stretch, I have been amazed at how far they have come. I really thought this unit was absolutely hopeless early in the season, and, considering the way B1G teams are generally biased toward bruising O Lines, doomed to be pushed around like rag dolls. While they aren’t dominant, they are able to compete and even, at times, make big plays. To me, this may be the best position coaching job I’ve seen in a long time.

From “never again” to this. Seems like he meant it. Big time coaching effort.

Reactions: rmndcat
Bastone and Hagerty. First career sack and a huge fumble recovery. Just stout and present, and also the muscle that allowed Gallagher and Mueller to roam free for a combined 27 tackles.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
The Cats’ DLine may not be a fearsome foursome, but the rotation based unit Smith has cobbled out of spare parts and retreads this year has improved from being absolutely manhandled in the Rutgers game to competitive, and in the case of very short yardage play, inspiring. Watching the interchangeable parts members play with discipline and precision down the stretch, I have been amazed at how far they have come. I really thought this unit was absolutely hopeless early in the season, and, considering the way B1G teams are generally biased toward bruising O Lines, doomed to be pushed around like rag dolls. While they aren’t dominant, they are able to compete and even, at times, make big plays. To me, this may be the best position coaching job I’ve seen in a long time.

He is the most obvious example but I think all the newly hired coaches have proven themselves to be great talent developers and great hires, obviously Braun included. I also saw meaningful improvements over the course of the year from the CBs, RBs and WRs. FItz sure did redeem himself and did a great service to the program before the administration stabbed him in the back.

Reactions: Eurocat
A remarkable transformation. Story, Bastone, Flakes, and Kilbane give us a solid returning core, and Hubbard and Saka are legitimate pass rushers. I also have confidence in Roberts and Gant to develop into solid players. We will need to add a DE or two in the portal, but I feel good about this group for next year.
Don’t forget Pearson. He came up huge on the 4th down stop. Spencer too. The DT rotation is Bastone/Spencer and Flakes/Story with Pearson as the 5th. Two pair and a spare.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT