ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of Explosive Plays

WashedUpCat

Jun 11, 2018
Other than the potential play with OPI-did we have an real explosive plays? We haven't had that capability the last couple years or so, and that concerns me.

Don't get me wrong, the drives we had in the first half were incredibly impressive and the offense looks fairly comfortable this early, which is fantastic, but couldn't help to think that if our backs are against the wall or we need to shift the momentum of the game, do we have that ability somewhere or in someone?

See Moore last night, one play can swing the game, and with our tough schedule it might be necessary.

Forgot about that one-and I guess if he is hit on that wheel route for a TD my take is a wrong one, but still worried about it.
There were actually a couple of them but the WR corps only had the one

Other than the potential play with OPI-did we have an real explosive plays? We haven't had that capability the last couple years or so, and that concerns me.

Don't get me wrong, the drives we had in the first half were incredibly impressive and the offense looks fairly comfortable this early, which is fantastic, but couldn't help to think that if our backs are against the wall or we need to shift the momentum of the game, do we have that ability somewhere or in someone?

See Moore last night, one play can swing the game, and with our tough schedule it might be necessary.
Heard that Moore is considering transferring to NU in just 3 years.

Seems like same as the last few years...tough time for receivers to get separation ,unable to threaten a defense deep...Purdue was able to put 8 guys in the box and play us man to man successfully with new corner backs......back to the dink and dunk, crossing patterns....It is a little bit of a concern.....I did see the freshman J.J Jefferson on the field but do not know if he was targeted....Even though recruiting has improved the slippery,zippy,elusive guys seem to escape our nets.

Seems like same as the last few years...tough time for receivers to get separation ,unable to threaten a defense deep...Purdue was able to put 8 guys in the box and play us man to man successfully with new corner backs......back to the dink and dunk, crossing patterns....It is a little bit of a concern.....I did see the freshman J.J Jefferson on the field but do not know if he was targeted....Even though recruiting has improved the slippery,zippy,elusive guys seem to escape our nets.

They do run a lot of crossing patterns. We always have, but I think they need to run some more vertical routes if for no other reason just to keep the DBs from sitting on the crossing routes. We don't have a lot of burners, but guys such as Lees and Nagel aren't slow, and we ought to be able to spring them on occasion. Either need better routes or better schemes.

A few points:

1) The Cats did have 2 explosion plays I can think of. Larkin had a 46 yard run, and Skowronek a 40 yard reception. Missed wheel route would have been a third.

2) Green took a lot of snaps, and he was clearly limited in play selection, precluding explosion plays

3) I think Thorson took 44 or 45 snaps. If Cats break 40 yard plays once every 15 or even 20 snaps, they would have 4 or so a game, which would be a huge improvement over last year.

4) Brown and Vault did not see the field last night. Their presence would give the Cats a boost in speed, both for the jet sweep package (which McCall did not deploy last night and which sprang multiple big plays the last quarter of the year) and, in the case of Brown, for deep routes.

5) Thorson’s running ability was limited, which both reduced the direct possibility of his having a long run and meant Purdue did not have to worry about containing him, which gave their safeties more license.

6) The fact that the O-line had the upper hand was very encouraging and should give Thorson time to make deep throws when they become a bigger part of a game pla.

I think the key questions to raising the raw number of big plays will The the individual and collective health of Thorson, Brown and Vault.

Talking about explosive,,,,did not see Jaleni Roberts at all last night????

Talking about explosive,,,,did not see Jaleni Roberts at all last night????
He generally plays in the 2 Superback/tight end package the Cats use which has a jetsweep option. They did not use that set that I saw. I really expected them to use it for a series when Green was QB.

A few points:

1) The Cats did have 2 explosion plays I can think of. Larkin had a 46 yard run, and Skowronek a 40 yard reception. Missed wheel route would have been a third.

2) Green took a lot of snaps, and he was clearly limited in play selection, precluding explosion plays

3) I think Thorson took 44 or 45 snaps. If Cats break 40 yard plays once every 15 or even 20 snaps, they would have 4 or so a game, which would be a huge improvement over last year.

4) Brown and Vault did not see the field last night. Their presence would give the Cats a boost in speed, both for the jet sweep package (which McCall did not deploy last night and which sprang multiple big plays the last quarter of the year) and, in the case of Brown, for deep routes.

5) Thorson’s running ability was limited, which both reduced the direct possibility of his having a long run and meant Purdue did not have to worry about containing him, which gave their safeties more license.

6) The fact that the O-line had the upper hand was very encouraging and should give Thorson time to make deep throws when they become a bigger part of a game pla.

I think the key questions to raising the raw number of big plays will The the individual and collective health of Thorson, Brown and Vault.

We handed a jet sweep to McGowan, who is about as explosive as Roberts but has much better size. Believe he picked up 17 yards.

I think it is more about route running. AC wasnt fast but between him and CT, the defense couldnt discount him. A safety almost always gave him double attention.
Riley Lees has jets as well as Vault but imo Vaults routes are just awful. He simply is too raw of a wr. Maybe Brown but he is always hurt. Big Ben isnt going to make any DCs lose sleep.

Heard that Moore is considering transferring to NU in just 3 years.

Under the new rules can’t he transfer now without having to sit out, or are those rules still in the talking stage? Even if adopted in a year or two Moore could be at NU earlier than 3 years.

All great points-especially Solo in the kick returns can provide a boost.

Interesting that the team with the most explosive plays lost.

Fascinating. Point was more looking forward than the small sample size of last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT