ADVERTISEMENT

Larkin?

It's a good question. Mild personality disorder I suppose. I used to be like this off-line too - a burning desire to catch people's illogic or set the record straight when false statements are made. Over time and after a ton of scars, I've come to realize that this is not a good thing and it's usually better just to shut up and let the fools continue to be fools.

I have yet to make that change on-line, maybe because this is more of an outlet for me where I can be the a-hole inside that I can't let out in reality without much consequence. So, a bunch of equally ignorant schleps whom I have never met and never will think lesser of me. Who cares? I imagine I'm not the only one. I doubt all the a-holes on these boards are as a-holish in real life. I think that point has been made numerously by others as well.

Certain topics seem do bring it out in me - maybe because of how widespread the illogic may be. The immoral cost of dOSU's on the field success, the statistical correlations of recruiting stars, and all the topics debated in this stupid thread are just a few topics where I can't help myself. Don't forget putrid passing offenses.

I'm the same way sometimes about certain things. I can get very peeved by what I perceive as lazy thinking and sometimes get set off. It has not helped at work, and I have learned to control impulses like that most of the time. Just part of the DNA I guess, but I wonder how humans learn the behaviors the exhibit as adults. Nature, or nurture? Makes for interesting discussion sometimes.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Mild personality disorder is an understatement. More like multiple personality disorder. Let's address your delusional claims one by one.

Who chose to use this thread about potentially securing Larkin's commitment and used it as another opportunity to not only claim that we proactively/directly recruit players that are committed elsewhere but also that those who have claimed otherwise are talking out of their ass? You,
not me.

Regarding your claim that I have in the past said we need to have recruits visit before accepting their commitmemt, I will reiterate that I have never said that. Someone who follows recruiting as closely as I do has so many anecdotal examples to the contrary that it is ludicrous to claim that I have said that. Show me the post!

Regarding your last point, I must profess I have no clue what you are talking about. What does "Consistency of the policy of not allowing an offered recruit to officially visit" mean?

1) Yes, I did. We do proactively recruit players committed elsewhere. Larkin is only the latest.
2) Fine - if you agree that no one needs to visit to accept an offer, then I will never bring it up again.
3) Why do you talk about a kid with an offer needing to clear admissions to make an official? Haven't all of our offers already cleared admissions? Nonsensical statement.

3) Why do you talk about a kid with an offer needing to clear admissions to make an official? Haven't all of our offers already cleared admissions? Nonsensical statement.

This is just common sense.

Offers are tentatively extended based upon a player's academic performance over only 4-5 semesters and their projected ability to clear NU admissions. Actually clearing admissions occurs in senior year after at least 6 semesters of completed school work. Why bring anyone to NU on an expensive official visit unless they've actually cleared admissions?

Man, you are thick. Did I not state in the previous post and many times before that we do offer underclassmen subject to the caveat that they achieve certain test scores and maintain a certain GPA? Given this, before those kids are allowed to officially visit in their senior year, admissions has to validate that they have met these criteria. Does that make sense to you or do I need to spell it out another time?

Lastly, to set the record straight and to contradict your previous claims about our recruiting practices, NU competes on the recruiting front in an ethical manner with a philosophy that puts an emphasis on trust and fairness. NU does not harass and "poach" recruits from other teams like other programs do. We leave the door open for certain recruits to change their mind but require that they do it in a transparent manner severing ties with their former program first. We do not screw kids over who have committed to us because they get injured or because we find a recruit that we like better. Once we make a scholarship offer and it is accepted, we honor our commitment with the only exception being a failure on the part of the recruit to honor his academic commitments. This is a rare and commendable approach that is followed by very few programs out there. Certainly not by your idol, Jim Harbaugh. Instead of constantly criticizing it or cynically doubting our superiority in this regard, you and all NU fans should embrace it and view it as a source of pride. I like our approach and unlike you, I am a fan of the program because we don't value winning at all costs.

Mild personality disorder is an understatement. More like multiple personality disorder. Let's address your delusional claims one by one.

Who chose to use this thread about potentially securing Larkin's commitment and used it as another opportunity to not only claim that we proactively/directly recruit players that are committed elsewhere but also that those who have claimed otherwise are talking out of their ass? You,
not me.

Regarding your claim that I have in the past said we need to have recruits visit before accepting their commitmemt, I will reiterate that I have never said that. Someone who follows recruiting as closely as I do has so many anecdotal examples to the contrary that it is ludicrous to claim that I have said that. Show me the post!

Regarding your last point, I must profess I have no clue what you are talking about. What does "Consistency of the policy of not allowing an offered recruit to officially visit" mean?

This is a classic definition of heavily analytical OCD. Focus on one point only, ignoring the rest of the facts, over and over and over.

1) Yes, I did. We do proactively recruit players committed elsewhere. Larkin is only the latest.
2) Fine - if you agree that no one needs to visit to accept an offer, then I will never bring it up again.

1) You could at least admit that the way NU goes about recruiting committed players is different than most programs. I think that makes a big difference.

2) While not technically "required," it is prohibitively unlikely that a recruit would make a meaningful commitment without ever setting for on campus. The Shontrelle Johnson story you like to use an example is a cautionary tale at best. As the recruiting process wore on, it became pretty clear he was essentially using NU as a "reservation" while continuing to evaluate his options.

3) Your assessment is relatively close. NU coaches will never offer a player without screening their academic transcript. Players are often offered without an SAT or ACT score, but with PSAT or another score. While it's more art than science, the NU recruiting office is pretty good at judging early on which players will be suitable for admission. Players are not formally "approved" by admissions before the end of their junior year AND taking the ACT or SAT.

And, yes, players must be cleared by admissions before they're allowed to make an official visit with VERY few exceptions.

Shontrelle landed up going to Iowa State which is well...Iowa State

Man, you are thick. Did I not state in the previous post and many times before that we do offer underclassmen subject to the caveat that they achieve certain test scores and maintain a certain GPA? Given this, before those kids are allowed to officially visit in their senior year, admissions has to validate that they have met these criteria. Does that make sense to you or do I need to spell it out another time?

Lastly, to set the record straight and to contradict your previous claims about our recruiting practices, NU competes on the recruiting front in an ethical manner with a philosophy that puts an emphasis on trust and fairness. NU does not harass and "poach" recruits from other teams like other programs do. We leave the door open for certain recruits to change their mind but require that they do it in a transparent manner severing ties with their former program first. We do not screw kids over who have committed to us because they get injured or because we find a recruit that we like better. Once we make a scholarship offer and it is accepted, we honor our commitment with the only exception being a failure on the part of the recruit to honor his academic commitments. This is a rare and commendable approach that is followed by very few programs out there. Certainly not by your idol, Jim Harbaugh. Instead of constantly criticizing it or cynically doubting our superiority in this regard, you and all NU fans should embrace it and view it as a source of pride. I like our approach and unlike you, I am a fan of the program because we don't value winning at all costs.

So, please explain because I truly want to understand.

We evaluate a kid and decide him worthy of an offer.
He "clears admissions" before we make an offer (otherwise we tell him he has to get his scores up)
If he has an offer, he can decide to commit. Some do.
If he commits, is that offer subject to another admissions hurdle down the road, prior to his official visit? So, we make an offer to a kid, that is contingent on him meeting this 2nd admissions hurdle? I am not saying there is anything wrong with that at all, but a certain school out West would say they do the same thing.

To truly set the record straight (which you fail to do)- I get and am PROUD that NU recruits in an ethical manner. I get that we do not harass recruits committed to other schools from other teams like some other programs do. I also am proud that we honor commitments and stick with committed kids after they are injured (though I don't think we owe anything to a kid we offer, that hasn't committed - we should be open to pulling an uncommitted offer at any time for any reason). But, we do "poach" (meaning we do recruit committed recruits) and we most certainly stay in contact (we do not wait for them to initiate contact as you and others have claimed in this thread) and we most certainly make it clear to them that we have a spot for them if we hadn't offered them earlier and then later change our mind (Nagel and numerous IU and NIU poaches) and continue to keep warm (albeit in a nice and ethical way) those who had offers but chose to commit elsewhere (Larkin). A poach (getting a committed to kid to flip from another school) is still a poach, even if we do it differently from other schools. I will allow that you seem to have a different definition - that what we do is somehow not poaching, and maybe that's why you seem insistent on misrepresenting me on this.

I also get that we honor commitments unless there is a failure on the part of the recruit to honor his academic commitments, but that is hardly the only exception (e.g. the Ohio kid who ended up at Wisconsin and then quit being another exception had nothing to do with academics). And FWIW, I do support this approach and have never suggested that we change this, so it is really a complete joke that you complain that I put words in your mouth when you DO IT ALL THE EFFING TIME TO ME. I only questioned whether Harbaugh was doing something unethical as you and others described, especially as you appear to make an argument that a kid with an NU offer, has a caveat in that admissions still has to validate him (even though you say he was already cleared by admissions prior to getting an offer) - a validation begins to sound somewhat similar to Stanford does (though I get the nuance/difference that you think is here, and based on GCG's insistence of first hand info to that effect, have come to acknowledge that there is probably something to the claims of Stanford abusing this). And yet another thing - I AM A FAN OF THE PROGRAM, AND I DO NOT AT ALL VALUE WINNING AT ALL COSTS (yet another bullshit misrepresentation of my position) - nothing could be further from the truth, or haven't you been following my crusade against dOSU?

This debate has nothing to do with suggesting that we do things differently. It has to do with questioning a series of assertions that I perceived to have been made that appear wrong, but which either you have backtracked on, or perhaps, I totally misunderstood what you were saying (I doubt that, but let me allow for that possibility) - or in the exceptional case of Stanford's recruiting practices, I've been persuaded that there might be something to it. To wit:

1. I love the fact that we poach recruits (and I'm glad we do it ethically) - I took exception to the claims that we didn't do anything (including initiating contact or making it clear that there was interest) to try to flip other school's commitments. Now, it appears everyone agrees that we do, but only ethically.
2. I heard in the past that we would not allow a kid to commit unless he made an official visit, and then it was visited campus, and now it's a visit isn't a prerequisite for a commitment to be accepted by our staff - so maybe I dreamed it all.
3. I heard (perhaps misunderstood) and refuted claims that kids had to 'clear admissions' before they could accept an offer, as I took that to mean they had to have been admitted. Now, with the clarity that what is meant by that is that their profile has to be screened and considered admissions worthy (that is fricking obvious though - that's never been disputed and we'd be utterly stupid not to consider a kid's academic profile before deciding to recruit him, much less give him an offer), I don't think there is a disagreement.
4. I am hearing (even now) that a kid who has an offer, still has to "clear admissions" before he is allowed to visit, but am wondering about the conundrum of that statement, if he already "cleared admissions." Perhaps, in this case, you mean actually being admitted.

None of the above is questioning what we do or suggesting we should do things differently. It is questioning assertions made by individuals who claim they are an authority on how we do things that don't appear to be consistent or logical. That doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

The only things I think Fitz should change in his recruiting now that the claims that we never poach are clearly wrong is: a) going more aggressively after more highly recruited players like Stanford does (instead of doing less with the highly recruited kids and focusing on kids who have less attention, as GCG himself has said is our approach and has argued is good practice - I just happen to disagree) and b) when a kid committed to NU decides to open up his recruiting including visiting another school, that we automatically give up on him and retract the offer altogether (although, it has now been clarified that our policy is NOT that, and that while we can choose to retract an offer, it is not automatic and we can and do still try to keep the ones we want (I am not aware of any examples of that, though someone I think said Godwn was an example) - if that's the case, then I have absolutely no problem with that). I don't see those positions as valuing winning at all costs, so not sure why you want to throw that label around unless you think that misrepresenting me somehow makes it easier to discredit me.

So, please explain because I truly want to understand.

We evaluate a kid and decide him worthy of an offer.
He "clears admissions" before we make an offer (otherwise we tell him he has to get his scores up)
If he has an offer, he can decide to commit. Some do.
If he commits, is that offer subject to another admissions hurdle down the road, prior to his official visit? So, we make an offer to a kid, that is contingent on him meeting this 2nd admissions hurdle? I am not saying there is anything wrong with that at all, but a certain school out West would say they do the same thing.

To truly set the record straight (which you fail to do)- I get and am PROUD that NU recruits in an ethical manner. I get that we do not harass recruits committed to other schools from other teams like some other programs do. I also am proud that we honor commitments and stick with committed kids after they are injured (though I don't think we owe anything to a kid we offer, that hasn't committed - we should be open to pulling an uncommitted offer at any time for any reason). But, we do "poach" (meaning we do recruit committed recruits) and we most certainly stay in contact (we do not wait for them to initiate contact as you and others have claimed in this thread) and we most certainly make it clear to them that we have a spot for them if we hadn't offered them earlier and then later change our mind (Nagel and numerous IU and NIU poaches) and continue to keep warm (albeit in a nice and ethical way) those who had offers but chose to commit elsewhere (Larkin). A poach (getting a committed to kid to flip from another school) is still a poach, even if we do it differently from other schools. I will allow that you seem to have a different definition - that what we do is somehow not poaching, and maybe that's why you seem insistent on misrepresenting me on this.

I also get that we honor commitments unless there is a failure on the part of the recruit to honor his academic commitments, but that is hardly the only exception (e.g. the Ohio kid who ended up at Wisconsin and then quit being another exception had nothing to do with academics). And FWIW, I do support this approach and have never suggested that we change this, so it is really a complete joke that you complain that I put words in your mouth when you DO IT ALL THE EFFING TIME TO ME. I only questioned whether Harbaugh was doing something unethical as you and others described, especially as you appear to make an argument that a kid with an NU offer, has a caveat in that admissions still has to validate him (even though you say he was already cleared by admissions prior to getting an offer) - a validation begins to sound somewhat similar to Stanford does (though I get the nuance/difference that you think is here, and based on GCG's insistence of first hand info to that effect, have come to acknowledge that there is probably something to the claims of Stanford abusing this). And yet another thing - I AM A FAN OF THE PROGRAM, AND I DO NOT AT ALL VALUE WINNING AT ALL COSTS (yet another bullshit misrepresentation of my position) - nothing could be further from the truth, or haven't you been following my crusade against dOSU?

This debate has nothing to do with suggesting that we do things differently. It has to do with questioning a series of assertions that I perceived to have been made that appear wrong, but which either you have backtracked on, or perhaps, I totally misunderstood what you were saying (I doubt that, but let me allow for that possibility) - or in the exceptional case of Stanford's recruiting practices, I've been persuaded that there might be something to it. To wit:

1. I love the fact that we poach recruits (and I'm glad we do it ethically) - I took exception to the claims that we didn't do anything (including initiating contact or making it clear that there was interest) to try to flip other school's commitments. Now, it appears everyone agrees that we do, but only ethically.
2. I heard in the past that we would not allow a kid to commit unless he made an official visit, and then it was visited campus, and now it's a visit isn't a prerequisite for a commitment to be accepted by our staff - so maybe I dreamed it all.
3. I heard (perhaps misunderstood) and refuted claims that kids had to 'clear admissions' before they could accept an offer, as I took that to mean they had to have been admitted. Now, with the clarity that what is meant by that is that their profile has to be screened and considered admissions worthy (that is fricking obvious though - that's never been disputed and we'd be utterly stupid not to consider a kid's academic profile before deciding to recruit him, much less give him an offer), I don't think there is a disagreement.
4. I am hearing (even now) that a kid who has an offer, still has to "clear admissions" before he is allowed to visit, but am wondering about the conundrum of that statement, if he already "cleared admissions." Perhaps, in this case, you mean actually being admitted.

None of the above is questioning what we do or suggesting we should do things differently. It is questioning assertions made by individuals who claim they are an authority on how we do things that don't appear to be consistent or logical. That doesn't make me any less of a fan than you.

The only things I think Fitz should change in his recruiting now that the claims that we never poach are clearly wrong is: a) going more aggressively after more highly recruited players like Stanford does (instead of doing less with the highly recruited kids and focusing on kids who have less attention, as GCG himself has said is our approach and has argued is good practice - I just happen to disagree) and b) when a kid committed to NU decides to open up his recruiting including visiting another school, that we automatically give up on him and retract the offer altogether (although, it has now been clarified that our policy is NOT that, and that while we can choose to retract an offer, it is not automatic and we can and do still try to keep the ones we want (I am not aware of any examples of that, though someone I think said Godwn was an example) - if that's the case, then I have absolutely no problem with that). I don't see those positions as valuing winning at all costs, so not sure why you want to throw that label around unless you think that misrepresenting me somehow makes it easier to discredit me.

This is getting tedious. Perhaps it's best to just put EC on ignore.

Sure it's above board. But, make no mistake - we still are in contact and we still make it clear we are interested. That's still poaching. And I'm glad we do it. You'd think what happened with Nagel last year at the 11th hour, and what Fitz himself said in defending the poach, that you'd give up your stubborn insistence that we somehow don't poach.
It all depends on the definition of poach. By some, we do and by some we don't. Other schools might be considered to poach by any definition you want to use.

1) You could at least admit that the way NU goes about recruiting committed players is different than most programs. I think that makes a big difference.

2) While not technically "required," it is prohibitively unlikely that a recruit would make a meaningful commitment without ever setting for on campus. The Shontrelle Johnson story you like to use an example is a cautionary tale at best. As the recruiting process wore on, it became pretty clear he was essentially using NU as a "reservation" while continuing to evaluate his options.

3) Your assessment is relatively close. NU coaches will never offer a player without screening their academic transcript. Players are often offered without an SAT or ACT score, but with PSAT or another score. While it's more art than science, the NU recruiting office is pretty good at judging early on which players will be suitable for admission. Players are not formally "approved" by admissions before the end of their junior year AND taking the ACT or SAT.

And, yes, players must be cleared by admissions before they're allowed to make an official visit with VERY few exceptions.

I have never, except in the case of Sean Cotton, which I have been assured was an exceptional case, said anything to the contrary. There are a couple things that I wish we did more similarly (see above), but I don't think they have anything to do with compromising our ethical approach. (Just to clarify, while I think we should take more shots at the types of kids that Stanford is recruiting and landing (4 and 5 star types - that fit our requirements), I do not condone misleading recruits as they have been accused of doing). If you need me to say it clearly - NU GOES ABOUT RECRUITING COMMITTED PLAYERS IN A DIFFERENT WAY THAN MOST PROGRAMS, AND IN MOST ASPECTS I'M PROUD OF THE WAY WE DO IT

I agree it is unlikely and foolish for a kid to make a commitment without ever visiting, but that was not my point. My point was refuting the idea that an official or any visit was required for a kid's commitment to be accepted. Now, that it's been asserted that such claim was never made, I can only conclude I dreamed this.

I get the academic profiling, but that is obvious. Of course we screen kids before we decide to recruit them much less offer them. But, then here you are talking about having to "clear admissions" for an official visit. Thanks for clarifying though that there is a "formal approval" that happens after the "screening/profiling." I was being told earlier, that "clearing admissions" referred to screening/profiling, but now it's clear to me that there is indeed a "formal approval" that happens later. I assume that this is done by end of junior year for all the offers up to that point (and as quickly as possibly for subsequent offers), so the only thing that prevents an offeree from making a visit (and a commitment) would be a test score? Are some kids that do not have test scores offered because there is great confidence that they will make it, while others seem to not warrant offers because they are higher risk?

Another question - does the above mean that all the kids who commit prior to the "formal approval" at risk of being dinged, or is the "formal approval" largely a rubber stamp? If the latter, then why make it a condition for an official visit, if the earlier screen is apparently good enough?

Thanks - I'm actually trying to understand this, and you (unlike others who pretend to be) are a credible authority on the process.

It all depends on the definition of poach. By some, we do and by some we don't. Other schools might be considered to poach by any definition you want to use.

Yeah, I figured that out. My definition all along has been that we flip a recruit. I'm glad we do it. Others seem to think that flipping a recruit if we do it nicely isn't "a poach"

This is just common sense.

Offers are tentatively extended based upon a player's academic performance over only 4-5 semesters and their projected ability to clear NU admissions. Actually clearing admissions occurs in senior year after at least 6 semesters of completed school work. Why bring anyone to NU on an expensive official visit unless they've actually cleared admissions?

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, especially with your definition of "clearing admissions I was told that "clearing admissions" was required to get an offer and that this comprised of "Screening and profiling.

I have never, except in the case of Sean Cotton, which I have been assured was an exceptional case, said anything to the contrary. There are a couple things that I wish we did more similarly (see above), but I don't think they have anything to do with compromising our ethical approach. (Just to clarify, while I think we should take more shots at the types of kids that Stanford is recruiting and landing (4 and 5 star types - that fit our requirements), I do not condone misleading recruits as they have been accused of doing). If you need me to say it clearly - NU GOES ABOUT RECRUITING COMMITTED PLAYERS IN A DIFFERENT WAY THAN MOST PROGRAMS, AND IN MOST ASPECTS I'M PROUD OF THE WAY WE DO IT

I agree it is unlikely and foolish for a kid to make a commitment without ever visiting, but that was not my point. My point was refuting the idea that an official or any visit was required for a kid's commitment to be accepted. Now, that it's been asserted that such claim was never made, I can only conclude I dreamed this.

I get the academic profiling, but that is obvious. Of course we screen kids before we decide to recruit them much less offer them. But, then here you are talking about having to "clear admissions" for an official visit. Thanks for clarifying though that there is a "formal approval" that happens after the "screening/profiling." I was being told earlier, that "clearing admissions" referred to screening/profiling, but now it's clear to me that there is indeed a "formal approval" that happens later. I assume that this is done by end of junior year for all the offers up to that point (and as quickly as possibly for subsequent offers), so the only thing that prevents an offeree from making a visit (and a commitment) would be a test score? Are some kids that do not have test scores offered because there is great confidence that they will make it, while others seem to not warrant offers because they are higher risk?

Another question - does the above mean that all the kids who commit prior to the "formal approval" at risk of being dinged, or is the "formal approval" largely a rubber stamp? If the latter, then why make it a condition for an official visit, if the earlier screen is apparently good enough?

Thanks - I'm actually trying to understand this, and you (unlike others who pretend to be) are a credible authority on the process.

If the coaching and recruiting staff are doing their jobs, the formal admissions approval is indeed a rubber stamp. Of course there's always the possibility that a kid's academic performance might tank in his sixth semester, but that's exactly the situation in which pulling an offer would be justifiable.

And yes, typically all committed and/or offered players would be submitted to admissions as early as possible so the subsequent processes would go as smoothly as possible.

Formal admission before an official was a policy because, quite frankly, they're expensive and it would be stupid to spend that kind of cash to bring in a kid who ultimately wouldn't be able to come to NU.

This is a classic definition of heavily analytical OCD. Focus on one point only, ignoring the rest of the facts, over and over and over.

Except for the part about ignoring the facts, I actually agree with you.

I told Hungry Jack earlier that the pole up my arse on these things was probably some sort of mild disorder. While I've never been clinically diagnosed, you are probably right about the OCD.

I'm happy to say though that I have learned to control this annoying habit offline, but can't help myself online. Consider it an outlet and part of my therapy. Those who can't deal with it probably should take Seattle's advice and put me on ignore.

If the coaching and recruiting staff are doing their jobs, the formal admissions approval is indeed a rubber stamp. Of course there's always the possibility that a kid's academic performance might tank in his sixth semester, but that's exactly the situation in which pulling an offer would be justifiable.

And yes, typically all committed and/or offered players would be submitted to admissions as early as possible so the subsequent processes would go as smoothly as possible.

Formal admission before an official was a policy because, quite frankly, they're expensive and it would be stupid to spend that kind of cash to bring in a kid who ultimately wouldn't be able to come to NU.

Got it. Thanks for explaining it clearly with precision and without condescending - makes sense.

Are we done?

th

Perhaps there will be 2 commits from this weekend, bringing the class mostly to a close.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, especially with your definition of "clearing admissions I was told that "clearing admissions" was required to get an offer and that this comprised of "Screening and profiling.

No. It never was. I'm amazed that you didn't understand this. We can't possibly assure successful admission when a player has completed only 4 semesters of schoolwork.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT