ADVERTISEMENT

Long Time Fan First post

Nobody's calling for Collin's head, I agree. But it's very clear there's several people here who just don't like him, whether it's because he replaced Carmody and achieved more, or for some other random reason, I don't know. Either way, Collins has earned himself 6-8 years automatically because of last season. Does he stick around that long? Who knows (if I was in his position, a job offer elsewhere will always look enticing because of NU's inherent disadvantages). But that said, nobody is forcing him out any time soon, and that's how it should be.

I liked the CCC hire and have liked it ever sense. He has done some great things, some dumb things and I am not convinced that he is a great X/O guy. But I wholeheartedly disagree with Va. GONUII has it right. If CCC cannot establish a program based on his recruits, his talent as a coach and the coaching talent he surrounds himself with, then when the window shuts, he should go. Not another BC scenario please.

That said, to calm the hearts of the klan, NO ONE is currently saying CCC shold go. I, for one, want to believe this season has been an outlier.

I will disagree with GONUII on a point though - I think you need to have two solid ballhandlers on the roster, your starter and your apprentice. In my mind, that takes priority for depth at the other positions.

I have been close to this program for 30 years. I love this team along with the Football team. As we all know, there has been some pretty abismal teams, games, and moments throughout the years. No matter what happens from here on out, I will forever be grateful for what happened on the hardwood last year. I waited my whole life for that moment.
After what has transpired so far this season, all I can say is Wow!! We went from our mountain top all the way back to ground zero. By no means are we at ground zero in the talent department. Collins has worked tirelessly to bring in the best talent we have ever had. I believe a part of this seasons struggles have been due to the lack of a home court atmosphere. Every game is seemingly a road game this year which can take a toll on the coaches, players, etc.
Some theories I have on what has gone wrong, is the fact that we lost our “glue guy” in Sanjay Lumpkin. We lost our 3 point sniper off the bench in Taphorn and we lost a great NU alum and former player Pat Baldwin from the coaching staff. How much impact these losses have had on the teams performance is something we will probably never find out, but it is something to think about.
While watching tonights loss at Penn St. all I kept thinking about was how unprepared we were and how many silly plays we were making. We were getting absolutely manhandled on defense as their guys were scoring at will. Collins refuses to change defenses and continues to watch as our guys get blown by on the way to the hole. Even if they missed, they had second opportunites due to our lack of rebounding. Tonight, It truly looked like we were playing street ball with no game plan whatsoever, and no in-game adjustments. Collins seemed to not even contest with the official that we were getting hacked left and right when we went to the hole. That isnt the Chris Collins I know.
If you put together Bill Carmody’s stratigic defenses and offenses combined with Collins’ ability to bring in better talent I think we would be in a much better position this season. But that would never happen, so lets not go there.
In all, when the Cats lose it really breaks my heart and I know this season is going to be filled with plenty of those cold heart breaking nights.
I know that there are highly talented players on the way, but if they are coached to play the way the current roster is playing it isnt going to matter. We are going to get beat up by the better teams. Call last season a fluke, lightening in bottle, the start of a new era, or whatever you believe the future may hold.
I think Collins came to Evanston to do what he wanted to accomplish, and he did exactly that. Talking about Championships before this season was a big mistake on his part. Fitz approach is much better, lets just go 1-0 on gamedays.
Collins has upgraded the talent, but the jury is still out on weather he can really coach as well as he can recruit.
In my opinion we will find out what he is made of as a coach after 3 years in the new arena. If we arnt making any progress, its time for him to take a hike back to Duke. That is not slight toward him its just the reality of the situation. Carmody took us from point A-B. Collins has taken us from B to C. Will he be the one to take us to D? Only time will tell, but clearly he has earned the right to be given enough time to do so.
I hope we go on to win the rest of our games this year and I am proven wrong. I would be ecstatic, but we all know its most likely going to be a long season. Its okay, we have been through enough of those to survive.

I will go down with the ship with the rest of you diehards out there because what else do we have to do in the cold bitter winter Chicago has presented us with.

Stay warm Wildcat Nation. Remember we have an 8 game winning streak in Football. Get well soon Clayton Thorson. We need you to make it 9 in row August 30th at Purdue.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!
BCs D was strategic???? Any conversation that begins with the words BC and Defense.... Sorry got to laugh.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
BCs D was strategic???? Any conversation that begins with the words BC and Defense.... Sorry got to laugh.
Yes his 1-3-1 zone helped hide our deficiencies in talent and created plenty of turnovers that won us many games. Syracuse has used a zone for years. The zone has won them many games and we dont even have to talk about the high level talent they have. If you implement a type of defense that teams only see once or twice a year you can beat teams with superior talent. It takes them out of their game, and away from what they want to run on offense. That is called strategy. It didnt work against all the teams obviously, but it kept us in many games that we had no business being in.

Reactions: StratCat84

Who can forget his 3 combined conference wins in seasons 7 and 8 of his tenure? CCC has is only in season 5, and we have already broken so many barriers.

I liked the CCC hire and have liked it ever sense. He has done some great things, some dumb things and I am not convinced that he is a great X/O guy. But I wholeheartedly disagree with Va. GONUII has it right. If CCC cannot establish a program based on his recruits, his talent as a coach and the coaching talent he surrounds himself with, then when the window shuts, he should go. Not another BC scenario please.

That said, to calm the hearts of the klan, NO ONE is currently saying CCC shold go. I, for one, want to believe this season has been an outlier.

I will disagree with GONUII on a point though - I think you need to have two solid ballhandlers on the roster, your starter and your apprentice. In my mind, that takes priority for depth at the other positions.

No disagreement on the need for more than one good ball handler. If the opportunity is there, grab him. I just think our next best opportunity for that type of player will be in 2020 when Lathon is a junior and Steward (spelling?),the local kid with an offer and uber connections to NU, commits to us....hopefully. He would be one of the 3 guards/forwards in the 2020 class. Guess I didn't make that clear.

GOUNUII

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
No disagreement on the need for more than one good ball handler. If the opportunity is there, grab him. I just think our next best opportunity for that type of player will be in 2020 when Lathon is a junior and Steward (spelling?),the local kid with an offer and uber connections to NU, commits to us....hopefully. He would be one of the 3 guards/forwards in the 2020 class. Guess I didn't make that clear.

GOUNUII
When was the last time hat NU had two top notch point guards? Just asking.

When was the last time hat NU had two top notch point guards? Just asking.

Maybe when Otto Graham was playing? Who knows if that has ever happened. Probably never. More important, who cares. History has been layed to rest with the hiring of Collins, his stellar staff, the new facilities and last year’s trip to SLC. Steward is the type of local you have to get with Lathon still on the roster to take the next step. Very consistent with the point of my original post.

GOUNUII

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I do wonder if Baldwin leaving isn’t a large part of our performance woes. Maybe CCC needs to turn his recruiting genius on getting another XO type coach? I don’t need CCC to be all things, but he and his staff should be. ;-

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT