ADVERTISEMENT

Long-time NU football supporter...

The_Waterboy

May 29, 2001
Bob Cox, otherwise known by many internet-based NU football followers as Far East Wildcat (FEW), passed away unexpectedly last night at his home.

Bob was a fixture in the early message boards of the late 90's and the new millennium, eventually leading him to compose a humorous and eclectic website dedicated to all things Northwestern Football known as FarEastWildcat-dot-com. His passion for the website and unflagging support of NU football over the years was unparalleled among the myriad NU football supporters that I've known and have met over the last 30 years of my lifetime, which are numerous to say the least. One well-known section of the FarEastWildcat website was a fledgling message board that entertained many elder statesmen of the current Rivals message board and which gave them a vehicle to share both information and deep thoughts/opinions on all subjects related to NU football among its readership. This message board was where I first encountered Bob, when I added my thoughts within a thread explaining what was happening in a particular set of plays in some long-ago game. It was at that time that Bob and I struck-up a instant friendship and have been fast friends ever since. Bob enticed me to write my perspectives regarding individual NU football games and particular sets of plays that became the root of my commentary additions to the FEW website. When NU football dragged itself out from the abyss known as the Dark Ages, the FEW website was front & center as an internet bastion of information that both celebrated and castigated NU football foibles of all types. Interest in the FEW website grew exponentially over the years and as the NU football program earned bids to post-season bowl games in the late 90's and 2000's, that circumstance led Bob to organize a series of pre-bowl game get-togethers of the Wildcat Faithful that became an increasingly important staple of the NU bowl game experience (like the Alamo Bowl's Wildcat Round-up dinner party in 2000 that drew several hundred NU football boosters & patrons of all ages & eras). This pre-game party organization effort eventually became the foundation for FlaAlum's Purple Party get-togethers of the last dozen (or more) years that NU fans now flock-to as the ultimate "can't miss" pre-bowl game event - the widespread attraction for which was fully evident in its most recent incarnation, last weekend's pre-B1G Conference Championship game party.

The FEW website drew interest from several intrepid webmasters and NU football information authors, among whom was Larry LaTourette, who became one of the founding fathers of what would be known as the FEW Group, a cartel of avid NU fans within which I was an active member for many years. As the years progressed, Bob passed the FEW website torch to Larry who carried on Bob's passionate interest for NU football in his own internet creation - the HailToPurple-dot-com website, which is very alive and well read today. Among the many HailToPurple website sections and featured articles was a very humorous and entertaining opinion section known as Cat Nips, which featured real-time video of Larry & Bob giving their opinions on recent NU games and, of course, their current potable beverage selection which was themed to the current game-of-the-week commentary. I could go on and on relating anecdotes detailing the many facets of the Bob Cox personality cube, but I'll stop here to address my grief upon losing this one-of-a-kind individual.

Of my dear friend, I will say this... My life was substantially touched and enhanced by Bob's engaging personality in so many positive ways which, at this time, are so very difficult to relate or describe accurately. Suffice it to say, that his companionship will have a special place among my treasured thoughts and memories that I will carry to my very last day upon this earth.

Bob, you will be and are missed greatly.

Last edited:
What a shock. That is so incredibly sad. I visited his site many, many times.

Reactions: IGNORE2
He will be missed by us old timers. I talked to him on the phone a few times. A really great NU fan!!

Very sorry to hear about Bob's passing. I've enjoyed his site for years, and got many a chuckle out of his and Larry's Cat Nips bits.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat
FEW (Bob) was an example of the best of a fan base. Acerbic when appropriate, generous by habit. I am truly sorry to hear this. I am sure we all wish him a safe journey on the pickle boat across the River Styx.

Last edited:
Bob Cox, otherwise known by many NU football internet-based followers as Far East Wildcat (FEW), passed away unexpectedly last night at his home.

Bob was a fixture in the early message boards of the late 90's and the new millennium, eventually leading him to compose a humorous and eclectic website dedicated to all things Northwestern Football known as FarEastWildcat-dot-com. His passion for the website and unflagging support of NU football over the years was unparalleled among the myriad NU football supporters that I've known and have met over the last 30 years of my lifetime, which are numerous to say the least. One well-known section of the FarEastWildcat website was a fledgling message board that entertained many elder statesmen of the current Rivals message board and which gave them a vehicle to share both information and deep thoughts/opinions on all subjects related to NU football among its readership. This message board was where I first encountered Bob, when I added my thoughts within a thread explaining what was happening in a particular set of plays in some long-ago game. It was at that time that Bob and I struck-up a instant friendship and have been fast friends ever since. Bob enticed me to write my perspectives regarding individual NU football games and particular sets of plays that became the root of my commentary additions to the FEW website. When NU football dragged itself out from the abyss known as the Dark Ages, the FEW website was front & center as internet bastion of information that both celebrated and castigated NU football foibles of all types. Interest in the FEW website grew exponentially over the years and as the NU football program earned bids to post-season bowl games in the late 90's and 2000's, that circumstance led Bob to organize a series of pre-bowl game get-togethers of the Wildcat Faithful that became an increasingly important staple of the NU bowl game experience (like the Alamo Bowl's Wildcat Round-up dinner party in 2000 that drew several hundred NU football boosters & patrons of all ages & eras). This pre-game party organization effort eventually became the foundation for FlaAlum's Purple Party get-togethers of the last dozen (or more) years that NU fans now flock-to as the ultimate "can't miss" pre-bowl game event - and, in its most recent incarnation, last weekend's pre-B1G Conference Championship game party.

The FEW website drew interest from several intrepid webmasters and NU football information authors, among which was Larry LaTourette, who became one of the founding fathers of what became known as the FEW Group, of which I was an active member for years. As the years progressed, Bob passed the FEW website torch to Larry who carried on Bob's passionate interest in NU football in his own internet creation - the HailToPurple-dot-com website, which is very alive and well read today. Among the many HailToPurple website sections and featured articles was a very humorous and entertaining opinion section known as Cat Nips, which featured real-time video of Larry & Bob giving their opinions on recent NU games and, of course, their current potable beverage selection which was themed to the current game-of-the-week commentary. I could go on and on relating the many facets of the Bob Cox personality cube, but I'll stop here.

Of my dear friend, I will say this... My life was substantially touched and enhanced by Bob's personality in so many positive ways that are so very difficult to relate or describe accurately. Suffice it to say, that his companionship will have a special place in my treasured thoughts and memories that I will carry to my last days.

I’m so sorry to hear this. The Pickleboat reference was an all-time favorite and I know that players used to read his site. Condolences to his family. RIP.

That is sad news. Best wishes to his loved ones. Thank you though Waterboy for letting us know about this.

Oh my God. That is shocking. I'm very sorry indeed to hear that. While we were not close, we certainly shared a deep love for the Cats - and certainly at times, his investment was more more challenging than mine. My sincere condolences to his friends and family. His community lost a good one.

My wife and I were fortunate to meet and get to know Bob and his family. If you need to define "true fan", Bob would be the the best example. The Alamo Bowl party was a really fun event, thanks to Bob and the Clark's. RIP Bob, and condolences to his wife and family.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and rmndcat
I am almost too shocked to say anything. I first met him in 2000 at the famous Wildcat round up In San Antonio, planned by him and Colby Clark’s folks(I have informed them of his passing). Beyond a doubt it was what Inspired me to try to plan a get together about three years later with Alan Smithee, Although I knew I would never do anything of that magnitude., After that we went on a whole bunch of road trips together, like Air Force in 2002, Kansas in 2003, etc. along with a bunch of other folks on the board like Smithee, Alaska, The Waterboy, GOUNUII, Hailtopurple,etc. We also got together a bunch of other times in Evenston and Florida. Aside from being very smart and having a great sense of humor, the main thing I can say about FEW Is that he was a wonderful person. Rest in peace, old friend

It does seem like a sudden passing, does anyone know if he was ill, and roughly how old he was? Seemed relatively young, maybe in his late 50s or early 60s?

We too are stunned and saddened. Bob was my mentor in Northwestern fandom beginning with contacts while he was working in the Far East and meeting up for the first time at Dyche Stadium back in the Barnett era.

Our sympathies to his family including Gail and the two children who are in our thoughts and prayers.

This is a shock. Condolences to his family. I followed his commentary, criticism, and humor for years and thought it amazing that someone took up this mantle to support Wildcat football in such an entertaining and informative way. RIP FEW.

Sorry to hear this Waterboy. I know you were close to him. I had the privilege of meeting him after the OSU victory. Followed his web page and loved the catnips. What a wonderful fella and fan. He will be missed. He finally saw a division crown. He will be looking down from above when we win the Big Championship next year.

Man, this sucks I only knew him from his posts here (the last just a few weeks ago, I believe) about 'cat nips, er. al. and how others used to praise his work here but that was enough to know what a great fan he was. Hate to see anyone pass unexpectedly and young, especially such a cherished member of this community. It is clear he will be greatly missed!

Sorry to hear this Waterboy. I know you were close to him. I had the privilege of meeting him after the OSU victory. Followed his web page and loved the catnips. What a wonderful fella and fan. He will be missed. He finally saw a division crown. He will be looking down from above when we win the Big Championship next year.
Do you mean the OSU victory a week ago? That's sudden.

Oh, man. All those “Taking the Purple to ...” posts. So sad to hear of his passing.

Oh, man. All those “Taking the Purple to ...” posts. So sad to hear of his passing.

Well, he almost had one more. When we went to Kansas in 2003, first FEW booked motel rooms for us in Leavenworth. When he told me that I said dude that is way the hell out of the way, so we canceled those and booked rooms a lot closer. However we had the brilliant idea of getting up early the morning of the game driving to Leavenworth, Alaska was there with a camera of course, FEW had a flag, and I thought it would be absolutely fantastic to pose in front of that famous institution andhave a photo titled “Taking the Purple to the Penitentiary “. When we got up Saturday morning it was raining so damn much that we just scrapped the idea. Alas, the photo op that never was

Bob Cox, otherwise known by many internet-based NU football followers as Far East Wildcat (FEW), passed away unexpectedly last night at his home.

Bob was a fixture in the early message boards of the late 90's and the new millennium, eventually leading him to compose a humorous and eclectic website dedicated to all things Northwestern Football known as FarEastWildcat-dot-com. His passion for the website and unflagging support of NU football over the years was unparalleled among the myriad NU football supporters that I've known and have met over the last 30 years of my lifetime, which are numerous to say the least. One well-known section of the FarEastWildcat website was a fledgling message board that entertained many elder statesmen of the current Rivals message board and which gave them a vehicle to share both information and deep thoughts/opinions on all subjects related to NU football among its readership. This message board was where I first encountered Bob, when I added my thoughts within a thread explaining what was happening in a particular set of plays in some long-ago game. It was at that time that Bob and I struck-up a instant friendship and have been fast friends ever since. Bob enticed me to write my perspectives regarding individual NU football games and particular sets of plays that became the root of my commentary additions to the FEW website. When NU football dragged itself out from the abyss known as the Dark Ages, the FEW website was front & center as an internet bastion of information that both celebrated and castigated NU football foibles of all types. Interest in the FEW website grew exponentially over the years and as the NU football program earned bids to post-season bowl games in the late 90's and 2000's, that circumstance led Bob to organize a series of pre-bowl game get-togethers of the Wildcat Faithful that became an increasingly important staple of the NU bowl game experience (like the Alamo Bowl's Wildcat Round-up dinner party in 2000 that drew several hundred NU football boosters & patrons of all ages & eras). This pre-game party organization effort eventually became the foundation for FlaAlum's Purple Party get-togethers of the last dozen (or more) years that NU fans now flock-to as the ultimate "can't miss" pre-bowl game event - the widespread attraction for which was fully evident in its most recent incarnation, last weekend's pre-B1G Conference Championship game party.

The FEW website drew interest from several intrepid webmasters and NU football information authors, among which was Larry LaTourette, who became one of the founding fathers of what would be known as the FEW Group, a cartel of avid NU fans within which I was an active member for many years. As the years progressed, Bob passed the FEW website torch to Larry who carried on Bob's passionate interest in NU football in his own internet creation - the HailToPurple-dot-com website, which is very alive and well read today. Among the many HailToPurple website sections and featured articles was a very humorous and entertaining opinion section known as Cat Nips, which featured real-time video of Larry & Bob giving their opinions on recent NU games and, of course, their current potable beverage selection which was themed to the current game-of-the-week commentary. I could go on and on relating anecdotes detailing the many facets of the Bob Cox personality cube, but I'll stop here to address my grief upon losing this one-of-a-kind individual.

Of my dear friend, I will say this... My life was substantially touched and enhanced by Bob's engaging personality in so many positive ways which, at this time, are so very difficult to relate or describe accurately. Suffice it to say, that his companionship will have a special place among my treasured thoughts and memories that I will carry to my very last day upon this earth.

Just awful news.

FEW’s site was the first online venue for Northwestern football that I came across and it still remains my favorite to this day (although it should be noted that Lou, Chappy and Florida do a tremendous, and often thankless, job here). His more recent bits with Larry on Cat Nips were pure gold.

In addition to the classic “Pickleboat” screenart, I was a fan of the Barry Alverez doughnut mocs and the best Motor City Bowl slogan of all time: Detroit. December. Delightful.

RIP Bob and thank you for your efforts.

Last edited:
I recall him flying from the Far East arriving at O'Hare and making a 11 AM game. A true fan. RIP.

It does seem like a sudden passing, does anyone know if he was ill, and roughly how old he was? Seemed relatively young, maybe in his late 50s or early 60s?

We were supposed to fly to IA together. His wife and my dad both had medical things pop up. Best I know, he was heathy.

I am almost too shocked to say anything. I first met him in 2000 at the famous Wildcat round up In San Antonio, planned by him and Colby Clark’s folks(I have informed them of his passing). Beyond a doubt it was what Inspired me to try to plan a get together about three years later with Alan Smithee, Although I knew I would never do anything of that magnitude., After that we went on a whole bunch of road trips together, like Air Force in 2002, Kansas in 2003, etc. along with a bunch of other folks on the board like Smithee, Alaska, The Waterboy, GOUNUII, Hailtopurple,etc. We also got together a bunch of other times in Evenston and Florida. Aside from being very smart and having a great sense of humor, the main thing I can say about FEW Is that he was a wonderful person. Rest in peace, old friend

We are deeply saddened to hear this news. It’s been a long time since we have seen Bob. He was a wonderful man. And, we will always remember him for us enthusiastic welcome into the Wildcat family. We send comfort and condolences to his family. Sharon and Doug Clark.

I posted this photo over on the other thread started by GoUPurple titled, "An awful day" along with a number of other photos by which to remember Bob Cox a/k/a FarEastWildat as a great friend and a great Northwestern Fan. Given the above posts here though, I will add it here as well as it shows FEW with the Clarks at a West Lot Tailgate - a location at which many here got to meet and know Bob over the years.

IMG_8486_zpsjknth6ne.jpg

Link to the other thread:

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/an-awful-day.42425/

I posted this photo over on the other thread started by GoUPurple titled, "An awful day" along with a number of other photos by which to remember Bob Cox a/k/a FarEastWildat as a great friend and a great Northwestern Fan. Given the above posts here though, I will add it here as well as it shows FEW with the Clarks at a West Lot Tailgate - a location at which many here got to meet and know Bob over the years.

IMG_8486_zpsjknth6ne.jpg

Link to the other thread:

https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/an-awful-day.42425/

Hey Alaska -- thanks so much for the photos. You and Jules are the chroniclers of all things West Lot, though you post yours and his generally remain secure "in the archives." I would say that everyone looks younger in those pictures, but maybe "not quite as old" would be more accurate. But they brought back lots of great memories with other Cat fans and especially our friend FEW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT