ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at Braun's puzzling decision to kick a FG in the third quarter

People might not like it but I can understand if Braun felt he needed to get some (any) O points on the board at that point. Out short yardage O has not been good all year and we were missing the most important pieces, Porter and two OL. That really hurts the options. The O needed to get something, anything. Not getting anything would have devastating.

Look I understand everybody's disappointment in the decision. But I can understand how under the circumstances it was necessary. If Porter is there or if the O had shown any ability to get things done, different decisions would have been in order. Why not the second time as well? The necessary O points were there and the game situation was very different but after the failure, you can understand the decision the first time around.

It isn't just QBs we have had trouble recruiting lately. We have also failed to get our A list every down candidates for RB the last few years so that now we only have one even on the roster

This logic is very strange:
“You know, at some point, if we remained down 15, we were going to have to go for two as early as it was in the game,” he said. “Still significant time in the third quarter, thought that getting it down to 12 would allow us to, instead of chasing a tie, go get two touchdowns and go win the football game.”

Basically, I don’t want to be down 17-8, because then we’ll have to either take the two here, or on the next one (assuming we hold them scoreless the rest of the way).

Oh well, NU didn’t even belong on the same field as that team. Thankfully, the nine-team Big Ten West will never exist.

Braun needs to tell his boy wonder OC to stop running pistol/shotgun inside the 5. It makes zero sense.
Pistol makes a ton of sense. The RB is set closer or the same depth to the line then they typically are in the single back and I form and they have every downhill option available to both of them.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Pistol makes a ton of sense. The RB is set closer or the same depth to the line then they typically are in the single back and I form and they have every downhill option available to both of them.
They just need to practice under center exchanges. It's amazing to me that the most basic and standard way of starting every play could become a "lost art." They have a bye week so I'd say it's worth it to burn the whole week working on snaps and short yardage packages.

This logic is very strange:
“You know, at some point, if we remained down 15, we were going to have to go for two as early as it was in the game,” he said. “Still significant time in the third quarter, thought that getting it down to 12 would allow us to, instead of chasing a tie, go get two touchdowns and go win the football game.”

Basically, I don’t want to be down 17-8, because then we’ll have to either take the two here, or on the next one (assuming we hold them scoreless the rest of the way).

Oh well, NU didn’t even belong on the same field as that team. Thankfully, the nine-team Big Ten West will never exist.
If he had said, "We really needed to get some O points on the board at that point", would it have set better with you?

You may recall a guy named Clayton Thorson that converted about 100 short yardage plays from under center.

They just need to practice under center exchanges. It's amazing to me that the most basic and standard way of starting every play could become a "lost art." They have a bye week so I'd say it's worth it to burn the whole week working on snaps and short yardage packages.
To be clear I 100% agree they ought to be able to cleanly execute some QB sneaks, even with a decimated interior - although I understand hesitance to do so with a new center midgame - but it’s not a panacea to just say GO UNDER CENTER on the goal line. The pistol is a modern, downhill spread formation that is very balanced and good for power play.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT