ADVERTISEMENT

Looking back on Northwestern's dream season

Love the piece but who wrote the headline? Dream season?

Losing to Illinois twice and to ND and getting screwed by the refs vs. a 1 seed game we were on the verge of winning is not my idea of a Dream season. Historic? Absolutely.

Dream? We can dream bigger than losing to ND and Illinois (twice) and in the round of 32.

Reactions: EvanstonCat

Losing to Illinois twice and to ND and getting screwed by the refs vs. a 1 seed game we were on the verge of winning is not my idea of a Dream season. Historic? Absolutely.

Dream? We can dream bigger than losing to ND and Illinois (twice) and in the round of 32.

NU PLAYED IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT! I don't know about you, but I've been dreaming about that since I was an 18-year-old freshman. It was, quite literally, a dream come true for the players, coaches, administrators and fans.

Absolutely a dream season and like the 1995 Rose Bowl season, it was unexpected!

Guys, c'mon. Historic? Yes.

But the dream is a lot higher than this. It has to be. This is just a start. It's not a question of finally making it now. It's more along the lines of "why the heck we never made it before?"

My take on this is that finally doing something you should have done ions ago is not a dream. It's the end of a nightmare!

Change "dream season" to "historic season" and I'm good...

Guys, c'mon. Historic? Yes.

But the dream is a lot higher than this. It has to be. This is just a start. It's not a question of finally making it now. It's more along the lines of "why the heck we never made it before?"

My take on this is that finally doing something you should have done ions ago is not a dream. It's the end of a nightmare!

Change "dream season" to "historic season" and I'm good...

And this is why NU fans cannot have nice things.

Absolutely a dream season and like the 1995 Rose Bowl season, it was unexpected!
This was a great season for NU's BkB. But it was nowhere near as momentous as the 1995 FB season.

First, the 2nd round of the NCAAT probably doesn't equate in prestige to the Rose Bowl (especially back in 1995, before the current playoff system).

Most importantly, prior to 1995, the NU's FB team hadn't had a competitive FB season in ages. A 2-win B1G season was usually viewed as semi-decent, for decades before '95. OTOH, NU has been having decent B1G .500-ish seasons for years now (as far back as BC's 2nd and 4th). The NIT is probably equivalent to playing in a minor bowl game, and the NU FB program hadn't been in a bowl game in ages prior to 1995.

In all, the BkB achievement "jump" from previous years to 2017 wasn't as pronounced as the FB "jump" of 1995.

It was a big national story just like the '95 football season was. Maybe not quite the same but certainly comparable. It was a season of huge breakthroughs for the program. It was my dream season because I've been following Cats basketball since 1954 and actually saw us very competitive in the Big Ten in the late 50s (2nd in 59) and early to mid-60s.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This was a great season for NU's BkB. But it was nowhere near as momentous as the 1995 FB season.

First, the 2nd round of the NCAAT probably doesn't equate in prestige to the Rose Bowl (especially back in 1995, before the current playoff system).

Most importantly, prior to 1995, the NU's FB team hadn't had a competitive FB season in ages. A 2-win B1G season was usually viewed as semi-decent, for decades before '95. OTOH, NU has been having decent B1G .500-ish seasons for years now (as far back as BC's 2nd and 4th). The NIT is probably equivalent to playing in a minor bowl game, and the NU FB program hadn't been in a bowl game in ages prior to 1995.

In all, the BkB achievement "jump" from previous years to 2017 wasn't as pronounced as the FB "jump" of 1995.

For once, Felis, we agree!

This was a monumental hoop season and finally making the Big Dance was a dream come true, but it can't rival 1995. Remember, the Cats won 20 games last year and have been pretty competitive over the last decade (four NITs). In 1995, NU hadn't had a winning football season in 24 years. Plus, the Cats won the Big Ten and were ranked third in the country at the end of the regular season. The hoop team didn't come anywhere close to that.

Yes, Should have been entitled "No Sleep on Season".

Dream/Historic/I don't care what we call it. I just call it the most fun I've ever had rooting for this team. And next year may be even better!

Reactions: pymvpymv and NJCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT