ADVERTISEMENT

"Looking forward to New Year's Day..."

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
- Fitz from his postgame interview.

Done deal? Wishful thinking? I think San Diego is off the table...after Michigan failed to show up today, I think Tampa could actually be the fallback...if Ohio State or Iowa don't go to Citrus, I think we now jump Michigan.

All boils down to whether B1G puts two or three teams into the Big Six bowls...Ohio State is the third team, and they looked impressive today. May depend on how other conference heavyweights/ND look by the end of the night.

So will we have to wait 'til after Indianapolis to find out officially where we're going?

So will we have to wait 'til after Indianapolis to find out officially where we're going?
Probably. Although it seems quite likely the top three Big Ten teams will be in the NY6 they likely won't make it official until Sunday December 6th. Obviously the Citrus Bowl won't make a selection without knowing all their options.

If Iowa (or Sparty for that matter) loses ugly and/or with a key injury, I could see them falling to Citrus and Ohio State goes Rose. At this point, even though Michigan clearly spanked us head to head, we have an extra win and will almost certainly be ranked higher going into next week. Until today, I would have bet just about anything that Michigan would go ahead of us in the bowl pecking order.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Michigag still getting picked ahead of NU in the bowl pecking order.

If you believe the rumors, Citrus actually wanted us and Texas A&M in 2012 but Delany and Slive leaned on the committee to take the runners up from the B1G and SEC title games (Neb and Georgia). Point being, the committee seems to have expressed interest in us before and may be perfectly happy taking a higher ranked 10-win NU over a lower-ranked 9-win Michigan coming off a loss. Objectively, I'd also argue that NU is expected to be in this position less frequently (near the top of the conference) than Michigan, so while Michigan may be an option for Citrus next year or the year after that...we haven't been there since the mid-90s. Again...I figured this was off the table until about four hours ago, now I think it's a tossup.

I dunno, Sheff. You may be right, but the media (including the TV networks) love to fawn over Harbag. I think his ratings appeal alone is the equivalent to 1-2 additional wins in Michigags favor.

My only hesitation in "betting" on Citrus as the destination is that it looks like Ole Miss will be the opponent, and I frankly don't think we match up very well against them. If I'm the bowl guy in charge, I'd probably arrange for Mich vs. Ole Miss in Citrus and us against either UGA or Tennessee in Outback. Either way, both are great, prestigious destinations that our team has earned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT