ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like with all the nonsense on the board today...

Also, what is your in conference win prediction for next year? I’ll hang up and listen as you dance around without offering a reply. The truth of your answer has to disturb you more than you want to admit.

My conference prediction next year is 7-13, assuming that material facts don't change positively or negatively from here on out... And my answer doesn't disturb me at all.. Did I keep you waiting long? But again, that has little to do with the bet; the bet is far more about YOUR prediction of how we will finish in the BIG next season...

Reactions: hdhntr1
My conference prediction next year is 7-13, assuming that material facts don't change positively or negatively from here on out... And my answer doesn't disturb me at all.. Did I keep you waiting long? But again, that has little to do with the bet; the bet is far more about YOUR prediction of how we will finish in the BIG next season...
Somehow I feel like you two do not need a bet against each other. You have enough animosity as it is. We should be trying to reduce the internal sparring, not expand it. And this bet will almost certainly do the latter (if that is possible relative to the status quo with you two....)

for what it’s worth though, I’m pretty much directly in line with your prediction as a central case.... but there are obviously error bars in either direction (hopefully to the right side!)

Somehow I feel like you two do not need a bet against each other. You have enough animosity as it is. We should be trying to reduce the internal sniping, not expand it. And this bet will almost certainly do the latter (if that is possible relative to the status quo with you two....)

Actually, I think there is very little animosity between Bob and I; he's actually become one of my favorite posters. He got absolutely boatraced in his screenname wager with me, yet he took defeat graciously and quickly honored the bet by changing his screenname without complaint.. Also, unlike some of the other posters here, he has now backed up his thoughts twice here with a screenname wager (CT transfer wager and Football not winning at least 5 games last year), so I give him mad props for that. He also tells some excellent stories here from time to time (mostly involving his airplane that he sometimes flies to games!).

Reactions: IGNORE
Great a five win team. Maybe a six win team. Boy, that sounds fun. How much would one of them purple seat season tix cost me? I cannot think of any better or more entertaining way to spend my expendable income.

This must be how the Cubs survived for a hundred some years.
OT: They got me to reach into my pocket in October for next year. They were smart because this product isn't worth it, especially when the upper bowl seats are pretty darn good. Way overpriced at this point. I actually almost never missed a game over 10 years because I had hope, but I had no interest in attending the last 7 or 8 games this year when it was obvious that something was wrong with this team, and I'm not talking about talent. But, yea, not worth the money and I'll be saving a lot of money for 2020/2021 season.

Yeah, I know how central banks work. Your comparison still doesn’t make sense haha. 4 wins is not the zero bound. It’s more like 1%. And also, I would urge you to look at Europe and Japan. In any event, it was a decent try, I just think poorly executed. There were better analogies out there that made more sense intellectually.

Consider the lower bound to be 14th in a 14 team conference. Does that help?

Actually, I think there is very little animosity between Bob and I; he's actually become one of my favorite posters. He got absolutely boatraced in his screenname wager with me, yet he took defeat graciously and quickly honored the bet by changing his screenname without complaint.. Also, unlike some of the other posters here, he has now backed up his thoughts twice here with a screenname wager (CT transfer wager and Football not winning at least 5 games last year), so I give him mad props for that. He also tells some excellent stories here from time to time (mostly involving his airplane that he sometimes flies to games!).
Might not be animosity, but the back and forth is excessive and any wager is bound to exacerbate that.

You missed Bob’s stories about Lara, but I am on her good side since I gave here one of Alaska’s prizes at the Purple party.

Reactions: IGNORE

Consider the lower bound to be 14th in a 14 team conference. Does that help?
Bryce Drew just got fired from Vandy. He was 40-59 in three seasons but 0-19 in the SEC this season. Also he still had 3 years on his contract. Interesting, just saying.

Then it seems the better bet pins the number at 6.5.

OT: They got me to reach into my pocket in October for next year. They were smart because this product isn't worth it, especially when the upper bowl seats are pretty darn good. Way overpriced at this point. I actually almost never missed a game over 10 years because I had hope, but I had no interest in attending the last 7 or 8 games this year when it was obvious that something was wrong with this team, and I'm not talking about talent. But, yea, not worth the money and I'll be saving a lot of money for 2020/2021 season.

Blackhawks are in the same boat. They have moved up the renewal and been hammering the phone and email marketing...

Does this mean that you are not accepting the wager?

Do you really not understand that thinking the team will stink next year and that they may finish 5-15 or better are not contradictory opinions? 5-15 blows, 6-14 blows slightly less, 7-13 is still on the south side of respectable, especially if the wins are against other bottom feeders. If you are trying to make a bet whether they will be any good next year, then set your marker at an NIT birth.

Will they win 5 conference games next year? Who the hell knows? How many times will they play Rutgers, Penn st., Nebraska? Will those teams still suck? I'll say this with confidence, there will be no byes in the big 10 tourney for this team. Care to take other side of that bet?

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
Do you really not understand that thinking the team will stink next year and that they may finish 5-15 or better are not contradictory opinions? 5-15 blows, 6-14 blows slightly less, 7-13 is still on the south side of respectable, especially if the wins are against other bottom feeders. If you are trying to make a bet whether they will be any good next year, then set your marker at an NIT birth.

Will they win 5 conference games next year? Who the hell knows? How many times will they play Rutgers, Penn st., Nebraska? Will those teams still suck? I'll say this with confidence, there will be no byes in the big 10 tourney for this team. Care to take other side of that bet?
Rumor has it that the Cats have gotten a yes from a 7 foot big out of Africa and a LG from Croatia!!!

Not about understanding anything, I made an offer to wager. People can even quote to confirm or not, It's that simple. What happened to your old screenname?

He just said that he was willing to bet that the team would be better than this year and that would be accomplished at 5 BIG wins. Everyone else indicates that they think it will be soooo bad that they should be willing to take that bet. But what do we hear? Oh that the number should be higher (and significantly so). Sorry but he set the criteria so either take the bet or not

Reactions: mikewebb68
A central bank cuts its interest rate during a recession to boost growth and raises it during expansion to limit inflation. A problem arises if the rate is already near zero during an economic slowdown, since there is no more room to cut the rate. This condition is called the zero lower bound, and describes a condition where the central bank has a limited range of choice. Mikewebb’s bet comes after a year when the Cats are near bottom: they can’t get much worse, recordwise. 0-4 wins is the total universe for winning the bet on the downside. On the upside, the Cats could win anywhere from 5 to 23 games, a much larger set of outcomes. The analogy is that like a central banker with a prevailing interest rate near zero, the bettor taking the downside have limited hope of success.
I know how central banks work and know what the zero bound is. Your second explanation makes more sense as an analogy. If youd said “betting on interest rates” when near the lower bound then I’m with you, although I still think 5 isn’t that close to 0, but it makes sense. I’m pretty sure you referred to the challenges of “setting” interest rates when at the lower bound. Which didn’t make sense to me. Anyways, I was probably quibbling a bit. Cheers!

Rumor has it that the Cats have gotten a yes from a 7 foot big out of Africa and a LG from Croatia!!!
Is this a joke I'm not getting or is this some nugget buried unnoticed in this thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT