ADVERTISEMENT

Loretta Lynch

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
We just hired her to do an investigation of the Athletic Department. Can we please get rid of Schill and Gragg ASAP before they run this school and athletic program completely into the ground? It's borderline comical at this point, or it would be if it wasn't our own university they are systematically torching with mistake after mistake. This is virtually guaranteed to further the media circus around this mess, not help resolve anything.

I thought the Skip Holtz hire was a sensible thing and maybe we had turned a bit of a corner toward minor stabilization, but nope just wait one day later and another boneheaded decision arrives. Like clockwork. I am wondering if Skip is doing this as a favor to Fitz and/or Braun to help him out. Wouldn't expect that a conversation with Gragg would convince him to come on board, that would probably have him running in the opposite direction.

We just hired her to do an investigation of the Athletic Department. Can we please get rid of Schill and Gragg ASAP before they run this school and athletic program completely into the ground? It's borderline comical at this point, or it would be if it wasn't our own university they are systematically torching with mistake after mistake. This is virtually guaranteed to further the media circus around this mess, not help resolve anything. Wonder what the odds are that she recommends reparations at the end of it...

I thought the Skip Holtz hire was a sensible thing and maybe we had turned a bit of a corner toward minor stabilization, but nope just wait one day later and another boneheaded decision arrives. Like clockwork. I am wondering if Skip is doing this as a favor to Fitz and/or Braun to help him out. Wouldn't expect that a conversation with Gragg would convince him to come on board, that would probably have him running in the opposite direction.

Agreed. After all, they had the chance to hire the absolute funniest person ever, and chose not too. smdh.

We just hired her to do an investigation of the Athletic Department. Can we please get rid of Schill and Gragg ASAP before they run this school and athletic program completely into the ground? It's borderline comical at this point, or it would be if it wasn't our own university they are systematically torching with mistake after mistake. This is virtually guaranteed to further the media circus around this mess, not help resolve anything. Wonder what the odds are that she recommends reparations at the end of it...

Who is Loretta Lynch, and why is this a bad thing?

I did find one of Ms Lynch's comments interesting.
"potential misconduct in its athletics programs, including hazing, bullying and discrimination of any kind..."

It appears that NU has realized that their definition of hazing just might not get it done in court.
Strangely, no reference to "sexual assault" or even "sexual abuse..."

Whaaaat? Richardson said it was sexual assault!!!

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I was hoping we had hired Loretta Lynn. Her music would improve the atmosphere at RF.
Honestly, I thought that’s who we were talking about. I had a busy day at work and home and haven’t kept up with the latest TarmaConspiracy Theories…

I believe there are a couple of things going on here. There are boosters and BOTs who were sick of Fitz's arrogance, stubborness and God-like status. combined with driving the program into the ground after Hankwitz retirement. The hazing allegations gave them cover to get rid of him. Schill was played. Gragg is a tool. Appears as though the boosters and BOTs want to save and advance the program. Loretta Lynch (do not be diverted because she is a woman, black and a Democrat) is Schill's way out of this, however she may just clean up some stuff. Now, what about fraternities?--hazing has a significant hustory at NU, and it needs to be expunged if it has not already been. All in all, what's going on is a good thing, it seems--still, Schill and Gragg need to go.

I believe there are a couple of things going on here. There are boosters and BOTs who were sick of Fitz's arrogance, stubborness and God-like status. combined with driving the program into the ground after Hankwitz retirement. The hazing allegations gave them cover to get rid of him. Schill was played. Gragg is a tool. Appears as though the boosters and BOTs want to save and advance the program. Loretta Lynch (do not be diverted because she is a woman, black and a Democrat) is Schill's way out of this, however she may just clean up some stuff. Now, what about fraternities?--hazing has a significant hustory at NU, and it needs to be expunged if it has not already been. All in all, what's going on is a good thing, it seems--still, Schill and Gragg need to go.
I think there is some truth here...interesting take.

Reactions: Darren72
chess GIF

Reactions: stpaulcat
now It all makes sense, they are saving and advancing the program.

Wouldn’t it have been simpler just to fire Fitz for on field performance and pay his buyout ? a lot cheaper in the long run too.
Yes. This was not an excuse to fire Fitz. They weren’t playing three dimensional chess. But I do agree with @stpaulcat that LL’s report is an attempt to rebuild the athletic program.

Reactions: corbi296
I could see that being the case if not for the faux punishment at the start. To me, it's clear they (or at least Ryan) wanted to keep Fitz so they tried to sweep it under the rug. If they wanted punish an arrogant God like failure, they should have done it at the outset

I could see that being the case if not for the faux punishment at the start. To me, it's clear they (or at least Ryan) wanted to keep Fitz so they tried to sweep it under the rug. If they wanted punish an arrogant God like failure, they should have done it at the outset
They should have suspended him for the season. Fitz would have hated that but it would have given him a chance to come back, rebuild the program and his legacy. I still feel he was the best man for the job. We will struggle mightily to attract and retain someone that can even come close to representing/marketing NU the way Fitz did.

They should have suspended him for the season. Fitz would have hated that but it would have given him a chance to come back, rebuild the program and his legacy. I still feel he was the best man for the job. We will struggle mightily to attract and retain someone that can even come close to representing/marketing NU the way Fitz did.
I think there are significant challenges to success for Fitz in the new age of college football - appealing to the NIL-driven, me-first mindset that is pretty pervasive among upcoming players. He was self-admittedly tiring of the mindset needed to recruit and retain players in today's landscape from what I'd heard. That said, I think there was still a niche for what Fitz was selling - stability, 40-year not 4-year decision, building good men in addition to just football players. Clearly the cultural oversight fell short from Fitz and other coaches which erodes a meaningful part of that recruiting message. And the other problem is he was shockingly stubborn on evolving his game plan to match the modern era which made it increasingly difficult for him to recruit good offensive skill position players, especially QB and WR. Then to compound his excessive loyalty to existing coaches as "part of the football family", he made a glaring error hiring Jim O'Neill as the DC to replace Hank.

Fitz had some serious hurdles to get the team back to where they had been - consistently making bowl games and occasionally competing for the division title. But he was still a very good fit for NU and better than most other options we could have brought in. Firing him in this way, under these circumstances, is awful. It creates a massive overhang that will dog the program for at least the next 2-3 years. Which means we are really going to struggle to find a replacement coach that is any good. We will need to get a bit lucky in finding an under-the-radar stud. Or else be good at hiring, but what have we seen out of Gragg that gives us any idea that he would be good at doing anything other than dodging accountability?

• Love
Reactions: NVAcat and IGNORE2
It's interesting. There are generally two factions: Fire Fitz (including me) and Fitz was railroaded. However, we are mostly in agreement that the actions of the administration created a worst case scenario. Or as the German Sausage and Cheese industry puts it, a wurst käse scenario. I'm not paid to make these decisions, but perhaps, instead of faux punishment/termination, Schill comes back and changes the suspension to "indefinitely " whilst they dig further.

It seems to have quieted just a bit, but I have no illusions. This will make gambling / RAW look like a tea party

Reactions: IGNORE2
Very far from the truth. As one BOT explained it. Most members of the BOT do not care about sports at NU. Same with the faculty. The majority of the BOT were not even informed of what transpired during the weekend of Schill’s now infamous change of mind.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
LOL! Unfortunately it looks like he’s now with a private firm that specializes in M&A.

Plus, Pat Fitzgerald is probably tight with Fitz.
Has anybody ever seen them in the same room at the same time? Just asking.

Admittedly, I have the same question about Brady Hoke and Chris Christie.

Last edited:
Reactions: FeralFelidae
That's an optimistic view--one I'd like to share but don't really have enough information to feel confident about.

Very far from the truth. As one BOT explained it. Most members of the BOT do not care about sports at NU. Same with the faculty. The majority of the BOT were not even informed of what transpired during the weekend of Schill’s now infamous change of mind.
I don't believe anyone knows exactly what transpired between Schill, the BOT and significant boosters, which is why my post is simply a theory. There's big bucks from certain donors going into the football program, and one better believe they have influence. This may be far from the truth, or closer to the truth than you might think.

Reactions: KappaKat

Stpaulcat: You probably haven't been on campus in awhile. The fraternity system has been devastated at Northwestern. I think there are maybe 5 fraternities on campus. Many of those frat houses sit empty now. A few frats have rented buildings off campus. All to avoid the ridiculous rules and punishments imposed by the school. There is an anti-greek contingent in the student body that is allowed to bully students who are in sororities, because sororities are characterized as elitist and/or racist by the people who don't want to join one. My daughter is in a sorority at NU, so I get my info from a decent source.

When I was an NU student, I was an independent. A lot of my friends were in frats. The fraternities were indisputably the backbone of NU's social scene. Today the social scene is greatly diminished and many frat parties happen off campus, which doesn't sit well with Evanston residents. Since Morty Shapiro was vocally supportive of the greek system, this can only be blamed on the Board of MisTrustees..

Its a mess. The definition of "hazing" in the Student Code of Counduct was written specifically to crush the greek system.

About 18 months ago I had a conversation with one of the Deans who, in the "small talk" aftermath of the meeting, made it pretty clear that there was a significant anti-football, and specifically anti-Fitzgerald sentiment in the faculty and the board.

Stpaulcat: You probably haven't been on campus in awhile. The fraternity system has been devastated at Northwestern. I think there are maybe 5 fraternities on campus. Many of those frat houses sit empty now. A few frats have rented buildings off campus. All to avoid the ridiculous rules and punishments imposed by the school. There is an anti-greek contingent in the student body that is allowed to bully students who are in sororities, because sororities are characterized as elitist and/or racist by the people who don't want to join one. My daughter is in a sorority at NU, so I get my info from a decent source.

When I was an NU student, I was an independent. A lot of my friends were in frats. The fraternities were indisputably the backbone of NU's social scene. Today the social scene is greatly diminished and many frat parties happen off campus, which doesn't sit well with Evanston residents. Since Morty Shapiro was vocally supportive of the greek system, this can only be blamed on the Board of MisTrustees..

Its a mess. The definition of "hazing" in the Student Code of Counduct was written specifically to crush the greek system.

About 18 months ago I had a conversation with one of the Deans who, in the "small talk" aftermath of the meeting, made it pretty clear that there was a significant anti-football, and specifically anti-Fitzgerald sentiment in the faculty and the board.
One would think the university would transform these empty houses into some sort of living arrangements, eating clubs for example. But I suppose if they are owned by the fraternities, the U can't do much (except buy and convert them). My impression is that this University has never been very good at the social aspect of education--and for most of its history left that up to the Greek system.

Why would they care so much about the Greek system to be so hostile?

My fraternity was one that voluntarily shut itself down (in the years after I left) because they decided the Greek system was racist and classist etc. If you felt that way, then why did you join a fraternity in the first place? Is perhaps an obvious question, but still one that doesn't quite make sense to me.

Anyways, I have heard / seen similar things in terms of evolution of Greek life at NU over the last 10-15 years or so.

And to the other person who asked - in a couple cases the university has converted the buildings into traditional student housing. They don't necessarily have the rights / ownership to do so in some cases though, so it's not as easy.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Why would they care so much about the Greek system to be so hostile?

Its definitely a mindset issue.

Rush involves a group of students choosing who gets in and who doesn't. That involves evaluating appearance and social skills, among other things. The very thought of being evaluated in that way is abhorrent to a lot of people, who then try to impose their views on others.

There are theories about how the greek system is geared toward wealthier students at the expense of people from lesser financial backgrounds. Of course, so are country clubs, corporate boards and life in general.

There are theories that the greek system is inherently racist because some minorities are under-represented. Of course, there are many other factors that might explain this.

There are theories that students who are, let's say "more flamboyant" or "more unique" are excluded from the greek system. Thats probably true. It is also quite likely that they want no part of it.

Northwestern is also about celebrating the differences and validating eccentricity. For that mindset, the greek system is a natural target.

Northwestern is also about celebrating the differences and validating eccentricity. For that mindset, the greek system is a natural target.
For the people who choose the Greek system, support that difference, and for those who choose not (as I did), support that difference. Eliminating the choice, so me, tends to enforce conformity, not celebrate differences.

My fraternity was one that voluntarily shut itself down (in the years after I left) because they decided the Greek system was racist and classist etc. If you felt that way, then why did you join a fraternity in the first place? Is perhaps an obvious question, but still one that doesn't quite make sense to me.

Anyways, I have heard / seen similar things in terms of evolution of Greek life at NU over the last 10-15 years or so.

And to the other person who asked - in a couple cases the university has converted the buildings into traditional student housing. They don't necessarily have the rights / ownership to do so in some cases though, so it's not as easy.
My fraternity also closed after I left, apparently due to too few members over many years. We had a long-term lease from the university on our house, and it is one of those that has been converted into student housing, in fact physically attached to a nearby dorm.

Anti-Greek sentiment by administration is not smart in my opinion. Based on my experience on several reunion committees, most of our committee members and largest donors are from the Greek system, certainly disproportionately to the percentage of Greeks in my day, which was much more than now. Doesn't seem smart to alienate us.

My fraternity also closed after I left, apparently due to too few members over many years. We had a long-term lease from the university on our house, and it is one of those that has been converted into student housing, in fact physically attached to a nearby dorm.
Acacia?

Anti-Greek sentiment by administration is not smart in my opinion. Based on my experience on several reunion committees, most of our committee members and largest donors are from the Greek system, certainly disproportionately to the percentage of Greeks in my day, which was much more than now. Doesn't seem smart to alienate us.
"The desire to be a part of something" is one reason a guy joins a fraternity or a girl joins a sorority.
It also makes people want to be active in student life for the university as a whole.

There are plenty of intelligent loners at Northwestern, actively avoiding crowds.

Yep. Now part of Elder Hall. The university may have offices in the former Psi U and ATO houses next door.
ATO house had become yet another fraternity last time I walked in there. Life was different west of Sheridan.

"The desire to be a part of something" is one reason a guy joins a fraternity or a girl joins a sorority.
It also makes people want to be active in student life for the university as a whole.

There are plenty of intelligent loners at Northwestern, actively avoiding crowds.
Not this famous former alum:

image-4-1024x576.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT