ADVERTISEMENT

Main Challenge vs. Western Michigan

Perhaps the Ball State game will be the coffee the team needs to face a better MAC team.

To be fair, BSU was probably a classic "trap" game last season. NU was coming off 2 big wins against Power 5 schools and had the Big 10 opener the following week. No doubt they were looking ahead a bit.

Given Fitz's success in season openers, the Cats will be ready to play and not overlooking WMU.

To be fair, BSU was probably a classic "trap" game last season. NU was coming off 2 big wins against Power 5 schools and had the Big 10 opener the following week. No doubt they were looking ahead a bit.

Given Fitz's success in season openers, the Cats will be ready to play and not overlooking WMU.

Hope you are right. We are probably the best team on WMU's schedule a win against us opens the door to an undefeated season.

Hope you are right. We are probably the best team on WMU's schedule a win against us opens the door to an undefeated season.

WMU plays the tri-fecta of Illinois Division I teams this season, @NU, @Illinois and NIU. Would be quite an accomplishment if they sweep all three games.

BSU also seemed to be a case of Fitz/McCall wanting to do just enough on offense. Thorson looked great when they took off the governor to start the second half, but as vanilla as possible otherwise.

WMU plays the tri-fecta of Illinois Division I teams this season, @NU, @Illinois and NIU. Would be quite an accomplishment if they sweep all three games.

That's some interesting trivia. Also would be embarrassing if they did sweep the best that the Land of Lincoln had to offer.

BSU also seemed to be a case of Fitz/McCall wanting to do just enough on offense. Thorson looked great when they took off the governor to start the second half, but as vanilla as possible otherwise.
Yeah. When I looked we had 550 total yards in that game, yet only 24 points. That might have been the bigger problem given the weak BSU defense. We had a few big plays in the passing game, but once we got the lead we sat on it and featured the run to kill clock.

Yeah. When I looked we had 550 total yards in that game, yet only 24 points. That might have been the bigger problem given the weak BSU defense. We had a few big plays in the passing game, but once we got the lead we sat on it and featured the run to kill clock.

Strangely enough, I never really felt like the game was in doubt despite the score. Always felt like NU was pretty much in control of the game.

Reactions: ricko654321
Strangely enough, I never really felt like the game was in doubt despite the score. Always felt like NU was pretty much in control of the game.

Definitely weren't in control in the first half. Dominated the 3rd quarter. Then got ultra-conservative in the 4th. The FG made it just a 5 point game, too close for comfort!

Definitely weren't in control in the first half. Dominated the 3rd quarter. Then got ultra-conservative in the 4th. The FG made it just a 5 point game, too close for comfort!

Even then, it always felt like we were physically controlling the game aside from a handful of great plays by Williams. The score was definitely too close for comfort, but didn't feel like BSU was ever really a threat.

Yeah I was kind of in that camp w GCG hence my comment above. But nonetheless it was frustrating giving up multiple long passes, they were able to keep the game closer than it should have been.

We can all agree though that we don't want any "debacles" against WMU though! Great early opportunity for Matt H to show off for the NFL scouts.

We have to protect against the long ball! If we can keep the passing underneath, we can contain WMU! Very solid MAC team,which will win 10-11 games this year! Kinda the new NIU MAC teams of a few years ago! Remember,NIU beat us! We usually play well in the home opener,so I think we walk away with a ten point win! No walk over game here. Gotta be on our toes!

We can all agree though that we don't want any "debacles" against WMU though! .

I am confident Fitz wil have the boys focussed and ready to play. In the event that NU loses it will be because WMU brought their "A+" game, not because NU wasn't ready to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT