ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness Whimsy: Favorite music of the Coaches

I'd love to see them do this for the football coaches, too. It would be interesting to see how they would be different.

Reactions: macarthur31
Not sure what the world is coming to. Last weekend I drove 4 hungover high school friends from DC to Raleigh in a Chrysler minivan, and my only compensation was musical hegemony. I treated the bleary eyed passengers to a sublime mix of John Hiatt (Buffalo River Home, Ethylene, Permanent Hurt), Steve Earle (Tom Ames’ Prayer, Johnny Come Lately, Copperhead Road, Rain Came Diwn), The Mavericks, Hootie’s cover of Wagon Wheel, some Mellencamp (live Pink Houses), and Georgia Satellites, and all those ungrateful sots did was bitch about my “hillbilly music.” Lord have mercy.

• Wow
Reactions: EagerFan
I would have enjoyed your music mix Hungry Jack. John Hiatt is a great songwriter and fellow Hooiser Mellencamp is also enjoyable. None of those artists produce "hillbilly music"..your friends must have been too hungover to appreciate the tunes

from @mshelton33’s NCAA notebook, CCC is all in and it’s beautiful.

Collins defends music tastes: CBS Sports' Matt Nolander polled the 68 NCAA Tournament coaches on their favorite artists. Collins' selection, R&B star Babyface, generated plenty of surprised and amused reactions from fans across the country on X.

The coach added that it's not just the music Babyface performed, but the work he helped write and produce that earned him the nod in his mind.

"I like his music, but what people don’t understand is he’s also a writer," he added. "He wrote a lot of Boyz II Men, Bobby Brown, Tevin Campbell. I’m 90s RnB, that’s my guy."

He's still working to get his team on board with his top choice.

"All the guys know," he said. "They're into this new stuff, so there are a lot of arguments about where music was during our time versus their time. I think they're good with it.

"I'm proud, I'm not ashamed. I'm gonna roll with [Babyface], and it's true."

What a spectacular answer. Not just performing and writing and producing, but A&R and label owner. CCC knows Babyface’s impact.

I bet CCC doesn’t even know, but Babyface won a Grammy last month for his work on SZA’s “Snooze”.

CCC is a true fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT