ADVERTISEMENT

Martinelli to NU

Announced today.
What a great development for Martinelli. Was going to attend Elon, now he gets to attend Northwestern. Huge step up - the parents must be thrilled. Hopefully he continues to improve his basketball - seems like he made a big jump during his senior season in high school - after he committed to Elon. Similar to Matt Nicholson in that regard (big senior season in HS after committing to NU).

Reactions: No Chores
Can he contribute enough to help make us a competitive B1G basketball squad?
I'm not sure I've seen ONE late recruit or portal player out there who is good enough to turn this thing around. This team is at least two strong contributors away.

I'm not sure I've seen ONE late recruit or portal player out there who is good enough to turn this thing around. This team is at least two strong contributors away.
Your absolutely right. I saw him in the fall and my kids all winter. In my opinion if you give him time to grow into his body he will be a strong Big Ten player Ala Drew Crawford or maybe John Shurna. If you recall they were players with great potential as Freshmen and Sophomores and then became real contributors as upper class men.

Reactions: No Chores
Your absolutely right. I saw him in the fall and my kids all winter. In my opinion if you give him time to grow into his body he will be a strong Big Ten player Ala Drew Crawford or maybe John Shurna. If you recall they were players with great potential as Freshmen and Sophomores and then became real contributors as upper class men.
I haven't seen much tape on him but what I saw looked good. Tall kid who can shoot and likes to dunk every chance he gets. He's also a lefty and that is always a plus in my book.

Reactions: DaCat and Rebel II
Great pickup. The recruiting business happens so early now lots of places have all their slots filled and late bloomers fall through the cracks. Seems like the perfect NU kid

Reactions: NUCat320
I think he’ll either be a combination of Shurna and Crawford, or perhaps Nick Fruendt, or perhaps something in between.

He does look like a player, and it sounds like GBS might just build a program finally. Good to get a guy from there.

from Chicago Sun-Times

7. Nick Martinelli, 6-7, Glenbrook South

Following a coaching change at Elon, Martinelli is now committed to Northwestern following a standout career for the Titans. Crafty and unique with his game, Martinelli has always found a way to impact any game he plays in, both in high school and on the AAU circuit.

Shurna was both crafty AND unique!

Can he contribute enough to help make us a competitive B1G basketball squad?

What are we looking at currently?

C - Nicholson / Hunger
PF - Beran / Hunger / Martinelli
SF - Audige / Simmons / Barnhizer / Martinelli
SG - Roper / Berry / Audige
PG - Buie

It just looks like Hunger and Martinelli are both going to be playing significant minutes.

Reactions: Titanium999

C - Nicholson / Hunger
PG - Buie

It just looks like Hunger and Martinelli are both going to be playing significant minutes.

Do you think our coaching staff will bring in a couple of transfer bigs?

C - Nicholson / Hunger
PG - Buie

Isn't Roper either a 1 or a combo? Beran at the 4 is really weak. I get the stretch 4 concept - but he isn't that quick, not great at the 3 ball and will get pushed around by any real PF in the paint.

Do you think our coaching staff will bring in a couple of transfer bigs?
I'm surprised you are asking me, but I feel obligated to answer direct questions.

I'm sure Collins would like to bring in at least one transfer big and is trying to do that.

Nicholson is (presumably) going to be in foul trouble regularly if he's the starter at center.
If Hunger can play productively right away, the situation isn't so dire.
But if he can't, we are in trouble with our current roster.

Isn't Roper either a 1 or a combo? Beran at the 4 is really weak. I get the stretch 4 concept - but he isn't that quick, not great at the 3 ball and will get pushed around by any real PF in the paint.
Well we saw Beran all season at the 4. He was better than the year before, but yeah, still got pushed around, didn't try to score inside, not physical enough. Made a little progress in those areas. He's going to have to play - a lot. Maybe he will step up, but it would surprise me if he became a leader.

I can't quite figure out how Collins sees Audige, Roper and Berry. I don't think any of those guys is a point guard. They're all about the same size - Big Ten guards. Collins was interchanging Roper and Berry much of the time as the season progressed. We didn't have a small forward last year and because Audige is the most physical of the three, not to mention the worst outside shooter, I viewed him as an undersized small forward.

But if we're going 2 bigs, 3 guards, then there is no "small forward."

It seems reasonable to assume both Berry and Roper will improve next season.

I'm surprised you are asking me, but I feel obligated to answer direct questions.

I'm sure Collins would like to bring in at least one transfer big and is trying to do that.

Nicholson is (presumably) going to be in foul trouble regularly if he's the starter at center.
If Hunger can play productively right away, the situation isn't so dire.
But if he can't, we are in trouble with our current roster.

So it’s pointless to judge our current roster as is. Got it.

Its called stupidity. Evaluating our roster as it stands today is foolish. No point in making a judgement until our two transfers are signed.

So you don't think it makes sense for Collins or anyone else to evaluate the current NU roster?

Thats really dumb. I'm rooting for you to improve your attitude, but I mean, thats just asinine.

Reactions: IGNORE2
So you don't think it makes sense for Collins or anyone else to evaluate the current NU roster?

Thats really dumb. I'm rooting for you to improve your attitude, but I mean, thats just asinine.
The roster is not complete. You can’t pass final judgement on the roster until the last two pieces are signed.

The roster is not complete. You can’t pass final judgement on the roster until the last two pieces are signed.
White Boy who is Purple forgot our transfer Verhoeven who adds another body at the 5. After we add PBJ and Christie the picture will be slightly different.

Northwestern in top three for Davidson transfer, Michael Jones, originally from Minnesota. Impressive looking stats.
I watched Michael Jones play twice against Saint Louis University. One game he was on fire, hitting 3's.
Good shooter from outside. Good player.

Jeffrey Cat appears to have nailed it with Nick.......

I love reading this thread knowing we were 11 months away from making the tourney, having no idea how much fun the next season was going to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT