ADVERTISEMENT

Mason had an interesting take on the OSU D the other day

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
He said the teams that OSU had gone up against that used a fair amount of misdirection and pre snap movement (MD, PU etc) caused problems for the OSU D and had them out of position a lot. MICH by contrast used no misdirection and played more straight up and OSU was able to play fast and well.

Normally we spend all of December putting in new wrinkles for the Bowl Game and it's quite often successful. Fitz could have spent all of the practice time pre-MN and IL putting in new things, figuring that we could beat either of them with our existing playbook and also no real risk if we lose. New would have been necessary regardless of whether it was MI or OSU, so it's really cool that we clinched early enough and had a chance to take advantage.

He said the teams that OSU had gone up against that used a fair amount of misdirection and pre snap movement (MD, PU etc) caused problems for the OSU D and had them out of position a lot. MICH by contrast used no misdirection and played more straight up and OSU was able to play fast and well.
If Mason is right, it does not bode well for NU. McCall’s offenses have never aggressively used presnap motion. (Unless you count shifting a RB lined up as a WR back into the backfield to block.) It’s one area where NU’s schemes look archaic relative to today’s high octane offenses.

WickerPark and I were on this three years ago:
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/lets-talk-offensive-schemes.6864/#post-71655

Michigan did use a decent amount of presnap motion. The biggest difference was that OSU played a lot more zone against Michigan and a lot more man against Maryland. In zone, you aren’t following that guy across the formation. It allowed OSU to simplify things and not worry about shifting who sets the edge, who is the force, etc. It was more the simplification of the defensive scheme that allowed OSU to play fast vs what Michigan did offensively.

Reactions: nickcat4
Michigan did use a decent amount of presnap motion. The biggest difference was that OSU played a lot more zone against Michigan and a lot more man against Maryland. In zone, you aren’t following that guy across the formation. It allowed OSU to simplify things and not worry about shifting who sets the edge, who is the force, etc. It was more the simplification of the defensive scheme that allowed OSU to play fast vs what Michigan did offensively.

NU would welcome facing a zone defense vs the Bucks.

GOUNUII

Zone may be to the advantage of NU's offense, but the man coverage that Schiano prefers has been to OSU's demise this season. I expect OSU to stay with the zone unless the Wildcats are moving the ball down the field. Then they can switch to man and risk giving up the big plays in which they've been prone.

Reactions: Nati_Buck
If Mason is right, it does not bode well for NU. McCall’s offenses have never aggressively used presnap motion. (Unless you count shifting a RB lined up as a WR back into the backfield to block.) It’s one area where NU’s schemes look archaic relative to today’s high octane offenses.

WickerPark and I were on this three years ago:
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/lets-talk-offensive-schemes.6864/#post-71655
Recently it has seemed that there is a lot

Yah it is the shirtless dance done by McCall :D:D
My phone's autocorrect is so wrong anymore from previous accepted misspellings, I have to figure out how to reset it
I find proofreading helps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT