ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Golf - NCAA Las Vegas Regional ⛳️

It's playing out very similar to the Women's regional. Best player (Nyfjäll/Nguyen) struggling, but team is kicking it into gear in Round 2. Some bogeys after this tweet, but Cameron Adam is playing a great round (-5 thru 8). 4 spots out of the 5th place needed to advance.

It's playing out very similar to the Women's regional. Best player (Nyfjäll/Nguyen) struggling, but team is kicking it into gear in Round 2. Some bogeys after this tweet, but Cameron Adam is playing a great round (-5 thru 8). 4 spots out of the 5th place needed to advance.
Starting the day on the inward 9, Nyfjall now on fire with 6 birdies in his first 11 holes today. Damn that double bogey on No. 18.

Adam crushes the back side in -5. Thanks to a couple of eagles on the par 5s.

Team within striking distance of advancing. Just 4 shots back of the top 5 teams.

Stanford and ASU are lapping the field.

Play currently suspended due to lightning in the desert.

GOUNUII

Starting the day on the inward 9, Nyfjall now on fire with 6 birdies in his first 11 holes today. Damn that double bogey on No. 18.

Adam crushes the back side in -5. Thanks to a couple of eagles on the par 5s.

Team within striking distance of advancing. Just 4 shots back of the top 5 teams.

Stanford and ASU are lapping the field.

Play currently suspended due to lightning in the desert.

GOUNUII
What a wild day for the Wildcats.

On the par 5 17th hole of the day, the Cats post 3 eagles and a birdie to slingshot up the leaderboard. Started the day in 11th place and finished the day in 5th with the 2nd best round of the day at -20. Major kudos to Cameron Adam for his 3 eagle round of 64. First time I’ve seen a 3 eagle scorecard at any level of competition.

It will be a dog fight tomorrow to finish top 5. Several good teams in contention. But the Cats have some serious mojo going into the final round.

GOUNUII

What a wild day for the Wildcats.

On the par 5 17th hole of the day, the Cats post 3 eagles and a birdie to slingshot up the leaderboard. Started the day in 11th place and finished the day in 5th with the 2nd best round of the day at -20. Major kudos to Cameron Adam for his 3 eagle round of 64. First time I’ve seen a 3 eagle scorecard at any level of competition.

It will be a dog fight tomorrow to finish top 5. Several good teams in contention. But the Cats have some serious mojo going into the final round.

GOUNUII
Cats off to another hot start today. -10 halfway through their first nine. Currently in 3rd place behind Stanford and ASU.

It will be a 5 team race for 3 spots to finish 3rd thru 5th. NU, San Francisco, East Tennessee St., UVa. and perennial power Okie St. all in the mix. Advantage NU vs SF and ETS as they are playing in the same 3-somes with 4-5 shot leads. All 3 started on the back nine, and face a tougher front nine to finish. So the pressure will be on those schools as they try to make up ground vs the Cats on the toughest part of the course.

Uva. and Okie St. already through much of the front nine with ample opportunity to make up a lot of ground on the backside.

Go Cats!

GOUNUII

Svard is really coming up clutch today. -5 through 8, all the way to -13 just 3 back of the individual leader. He's only 1 behind Thorbjornson from Stanford who had a top 5 on the PGA Tour last year.

Reactions: GOUNUII
Svard is really coming up clutch today. -5 through 8, all the way to -13 just 3 back of the individual leader. He's only 1 behind Thorbjornson from Stanford who had a top 5 on the PGA Tour last year.
It's going down to the wire. Cats currently in 4th, but just 1 shot ahead of San Francisco and 3 shots ahead of East Tennessee St. Might be headed to a playoff for the 5th spot.

GOUNUII

It's going down to the wire. Cats currently in 4th, but just 1 shot ahead of San Francisco and 3 shots ahead of East Tennessee St. Might be headed to a playoff for the 5th spot.

GOUNUII
Really down to the wire. Imai has made a great comeback from +3 to a -2 finish birdieing the last two. Tied with ETS, need Svard to birdie the par 5 8th.

Edit: He birdied it. They're -13 on the day, even if team leaderboard isn't reflecting it yet.

Really down to the wire. Imai has made a great comeback from +3 to a -2 finish birdieing the last two. Tied with ETS, need Svard to birdie the par 5 8th.

Edit: He birdied it. They're -13 on the day, even if team leaderboard isn't reflecting it yet.
No. 2 player for ETS bogies the final hole to drop his team back into a 5th place tie with NU. Anybody know what the playoff format is?

GOUNUII

Reactions: Bweiny
Looks like tied for 5th. Golfcast says "ties will be resolved." How does the playoff work?

No. 2 player for ETS bogies the final hole to drop his team back into a 5th place tie with NU. Anybody know what the playoff format is?

GOUNUII
Don't know the format. I saw that after Svard parred 9, we needed a bogey by one of two remaining players, and we got it from Kleen of ETSU.

I think it's probably sudden death between the 1's, but mainly because 4 or 5 at once would be clunky. The Olympics managed a ridiculously large sudden death playoff though.

Looks like tied for 5th. Golfcast says "ties will be resolved." How does the playoff work?
Just looked it up. No Playoff. Cats win tiebreaker because the cumulative total of our non-counting scores was better than ETS. Basically, our highest 3 rounds were better than ETS'. And it wasn't close.

I suspect that's why the linked scoreboard has NU ahead of ETS with a redline under our name.

Cats advance!

GOUNUII

Just looked it up. No Playoff. Cats win tiebreaker because the cumulative total of our non-counting scores was better than ETS. Basically, our highest 3 rounds were better than ETS'. And it wasn't close.
Yeah, ETSU's non-counting were -2, +6, +5 (+9). NU's were +3, +1, E (+4). I'm biased given the result, but that's a good tiebreaker and better for a team event than sudden death.

Yeah, ETSU's non-counting were -2, +6, +5 (+9). NU's were +3, +1, E (+4). I'm biased given the result, but that's a good tiebreaker and better for a team event than sudden death.
I’m not biased and completely agree. A team based tiebreaker in a team competition. Just the way it should be.

GOUNUII

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
I guess they're going to a playoff to break the tie.
I saw them reply directly to you on Twitter, but nobody has any info on the playoff, if it wasn't the 5th score tiebreaker. I think the person running the Twitter account has it wrong, since a Google search for tiebreaker rules backs up GOUNUII.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT