ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan Players Leaving with Eligibility

What exactly isn't the right thing to do? Allow a graduate transfer to leave for more playing time?

If this were a one-time event, you might have a point. However, Harbaugh has a pretty established track record of running off players and recruits alike that doesn't exactly earn him the benefit of the doubt.

Just Harbaugh being Harbaugh.

This is a poor example of "Harbaugh being Harbaugh" because Fitz does the same thing! The only difference is our 5th-year seniors who aren't asked back usually don't transfer and play at other schools. One exception was one of the Nagels who played at a directional Missouri school with his brother for his last season of eligibility.

Last edited:
If this were a one-time event, you might have a point. However, Harbaugh has a pretty established track record of running off players and recruits alike that doesn't exactly earn him the benefit of the doubt.

Fitz and staff do the exact same thing to 5th-year seniors who have little chance of contributing to the program.

Many coaches do , you just always single out Harbaugh. What about Urban ? OSU does the same thing. OSU takes more commits than they have openings, and either drops a commit last minute or makes a slot for one. Or takes a commitment from a Freshman and drops him after he has been loyal his Senior year

I don't think Fitz and Dantonio play the games most programs do.

I'm referring to letting 5th-year players go who are not expected to contribute their fifth year. Dantonio does it. Certainly, Fitz does it. EVERYBODY does it!

Fitz and Dantonio may differ from other programs in other ways. Harbaugh clearly plays the 'musical chairs' game with verballed recruits, and perhaps with underclassmen. FItz won't do that. Can't speak for Dantonio, though I'm a big fan of Dantonio and how he's run the program at MSU.

Many coaches do , you just always single out Harbaugh. What about Urban ? OSU does the same thing. OSU takes more commits than they have openings, and either drops a commit last minute or makes a slot for one. Or takes a commitment from a Freshman and drops him after he has been loyal his Senior year

I'll own animosity toward Harbaugh back to his Stanford days. Saw the underbelly of his recruiting tactics firsthand.

I'm referring to letting 5th-year players go who are not expected to contribute their fifth year. Dantonio does it. Certainly, Fitz does it. EVERYBODY does it!

Fitz and Dantonio may differ from other programs in other ways. Harbaugh clearly plays the 'musical chairs' game with verballed recruits, and perhaps with underclassmen. FItz won't do that. Can't speak for Dantonio, though I'm a big fan of Dantonio and how he's run the program at MSU.
Fitz and Dantonio are alike in many ways. I think they both value honesty and loyalty , not just in others but in themselves. Harbaugh recruits how he recruits, as does Urban. If a recruit chooses to go to one of those programs knowing all they know about how those programs play the recruiting game, they get what they deserve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT